Would anyone like to make a workout schedule for me???

Options
missb92
missb92 Posts: 200 Member
Hey there!

So i'm new to the gym (and a chinese gym at that). I want to do a good mix of weights and cardio but im not really sure what I should be doing and how I should do it. I'm thinking weights 3 times a week with some cardio after (spin class or threadmill) and then another spin class on my 2 cardio days. I love the spin class!

For the weights...these are the machines I have access to. Leg press, leg extension, leg curl, thigh abductor, chest press, incline chest press, seated cable row and over head lat pull down.

So far ive been doing maybe 4 sets of a bit of everything, or whichever ones are free. But I know a lot of people split upper and lower body to different days. Also, I was wondering, is it possible to complete the number of reps in a set back to back, rather than in a big circuit?? For example, 2 sets of 14 reps leg press...with 30 seconds rest between or however long? Or should you do each exercise set separately in different circuits? Its just that sometimes the machines arn't available when I go back for second or third set and so I have to use something else.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice or tips and if someone would like to suggest a routine or approach I should take then super! A few stats: im 5ft7, 179lbs... looking to get down to 160 by June/July :)

Replies

• jewdaism
    jewdaism Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to stay at one machine you can mix freely. Depending on your goal you may or may not need much rest between sets. If you are trying to build muscle you need to rest between sets > 1-2 mins. If you are just using weight training as a calorie burning supplement you will want less rest between sets as the focus is on burning energy and keeping your heart rate up.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Here's your weightlifting schedule:
    http://stronglifts.com/
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    strong lifts is all free weights though, yes? I'm not sure im comfortable yet to go to that side of the gym. Not because the weights are too heavy for girls...blah blah...just I would prefer to get used to the machines first and get in a routine, then work up to free weights.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    strong lifts is all free weights though, yes? I'm not sure im comfortable yet to go to that side of the gym. Not because the weights are too heavy for girls...blah blah...just I would prefer to get used to the machines first and get in a routine, then work up to free weights.

Free weights are a completely different beast to machines. You'll have to start over with free weights, so just start there with strong lifts, new rules or whatever.

Squat. Deadlift. Bench. OHP. Lunge in you want.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    As deevaa said machines aren't going to help a lot with free weights, you don't learn to do the exercises right when you use the machines since the machine does all the stabilizing for you. If you aren't willing to do anything else machines will help, but if you want to get stronger and burn more calories then free weights are the only thing worth considering.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Free weights are a completely different beast to machines. You'll have to start over with free weights, so just start there with strong lifts, new rules or whatever.

Squat. Deadlift. Bench. OHP. Lunge in you want.

I agree!! Machines will limit your range of motion, and stabilize the muscle, which is the complete opposite of what the compound lifts are designed to do. If your goal is to build up strength in the muscles before going to the bar, then I would suggest a progression based bodyweight routine, much better then machines, and no gym required.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Do it anyway. It will be a challenge in many ways to walk over and pick up a barbell, but it will be the most important step to getting the body you want. Go for it.

Squat, bench, deadlift (yipppeeee), OHP. Learn the form.