Sodium

I have a bad habit of adding extra salt to my food, and I'm really a salty food person and I know that it can cause water retention. I try to drink a lot of water after eating too much sodium. Anyone else have the same problem? What did you do to stop your salt problem?

Replies

• crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    i've always struggled with this, im almost always over my salt intake and bloat a bit but try to drink as much water as possible to flush it out of my system, i've never really found a 'cure'. in the long run it's never made me gain permanent weight so i just accept it and move on, curious to see what others have to say though
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    I don't really worry about it. I've never had blood pressure problems & they don't run in the family. I go over on sodium almost everyday, no matter how 'healthy' I'm eating, but I don't usually go WAY over [today I did because I had chicken noodle soup & snacked on sunflower seeds, yikes]. I also just try to drink lots of water to flush out my system, but otherwise I don't stress too much about it.
  • Dgangaware
    Dgangaware Posts: 24 Member
    I struggle with this too! I have been using this lemon pepper by McCormick to season my food instead of salt. If you cut back on salt, it is hard at first, but then you start to really enjoy the flavor of food without it. Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    As long as you have the other electrolytes to balance....
    Add potassium!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    I went to talk to a nutritionist to see why I was bloating, the medical doctors were of no help. She found that I was eating to much
    frozen prepared foods. She recommended a heart healthy low sodium diet. I do not crave high salt on my foods most of the time.
    However, if I crave pizza, I find I load on the salt.
    Since watching my sodium intake, I have not really gone over.
    Tried the water flushing out of sodium but had my doubts if it really worked.
    My suggestion? See if there are certain foods you crave high amounts of salt on and avoid them. For me that would be pizza.
    I have found there is low sodium ketsup, which I like. Low sodium Swiss Cheese, Low sodium Pepper Jack cheese, Low sodium Muenster cheese. All taste great. I found low sodium peanut butter, tastes great and more peanutty. I found low sodium breads. I am staying away from those frozen diet dinners and I do not miss any of them.
    Good luck.:smile:
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    I went to talk to a nutritionist to see why I was bloating, the medical doctors were of no help. She found that I was eating to much
    frozen prepared foods. She recommended a heart healthy low sodium diet. I do not crave high salt on my foods most of the time.
    However, if I crave pizza, I find I load on the salt.
    Since watching my sodium intake, I have not really gone over.
    Tried the water flushing out of sodium but had my doubts if it really worked.
    My suggestion? See if there are certain foods you crave high amounts of salt on and avoid them. For me that would be pizza.
    I have found there is low sodium ketsup, which I like. Low sodium Swiss Cheese, Low sodium Pepper Jack cheese, Low sodium Muenster cheese. All taste great. I found low sodium peanut butter, tastes great and more peanutty. I found low sodium breads. I am staying away from those frozen diet dinners and I do not miss any of them.
    Good luck.:smile:

Great! Thanks so much :)