Herbalife vs Advocare

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    "they're waiting on Morpheus to offer them the Advopill or the Herbalpill." - No one takes multivitamin pills? Not sure why people will take pills and "nutrition"/meal replacement bars but are so against drinking shakes.
    I don't do either. Multivitamins were just recently, effectively ruled as pointless after a.. what... 30.. 40 year study?
    I don't do shakes or "meal replacement" anythings. I just have meals.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I think people have less issue with the products themselves as they do the annoying and overly aggressive sales pitches.

I won't use Beach Body, Advocare or Herbalife. And one of the primary reason's being the people who represent it.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    First post.. no follow up responses.. promoting MLM's... I'm seeing a pattern here.

h4D0605D9
  • scoleman58
    scoleman58 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think many people misunderstand the concept of a meal replacement shakes and how to use these products, lets use the two mentioned above. These products help create a calorie deficit while making sure you provide your body with proper nutrition; micro and macronutrients to sustain/ increase energy levels to where they should be in the body. Most people do not not get the daily required micro and macronutrients their body needs in the first place.

Using the two products above they also teach you how to eat properly, IF you follow the plans. This combined with the shakes, protein powders and vitamins provide balanced nutrition when in a calorie deficit phase or weight maintenance phase. It's not unheard us to continue the use of one meal replacement shake and some of the supplements in order to maintain proper nutrition and being able to meet the micro and macronutrients requirements and maintain proper energy levels. The key is to follow the plan to make a life change, not to use the plan and products for "x" time then go back to what your "old" ways. Cause when you do that of course you will "gain it all back" cause your doing what you did in the first place to gain it, and of course you will no longer feel energized you stopped fueling your body with the required micro and macronutrients.

That being said you need to pick which of the products you need to use from whichever company you decide to use. As a side note I use herbalife 24 sport, I use it now only to maintain and for performance; meal replacement for micro and macronutrients requirements, pre-work drink, post workout rebuild, and for hydration when training and running half marathon. I use 6 of their products each designed for its specific use. I use to use EAS, Herbalife products have provided me with more results and energy on a day-to-day basis than EAS did. I will not say EAS did not work, just not half as well and it was more expensive.

This describes the exact problem with meal replacement shakes. After a couple of months of meeting my macros, I suddenly noticed the micronutrient feedback on MFP. Wow. My Vitamin A was low. So I researched which foods I needed to add. Potassium too. Now, I have a gut feel for how often I need to eat various types of food every week...and fill my needs with a balanced diet of inexpensive foods. If I'd relied on the shakes I'd still have no idea how to eat.

Exactly why I use the combination of MFP and MRS (Meal Replacement Shakes). I would love the see % of people that would get more micronutrients than they need even is they added in a 90 calorie meal replacement shake, I am betting it's under 10%. And most of those 10% is not the average public.

I don't understand the phrase...(how you say?)..."90 calorie meal replacement shake". In what possible way is 90 calories a meal replacement???

I guess I'm one of those people who misunderstand the concept.

To help you understand the concept it refers to the nutritional value of macro and micronutrients being enough to replace a healthly meal. For a visual you can look at the nutrition label https://www.myherbalife.com/Content/en-US/pdf/Catalog/110524_SKU1412_label_us.pdf
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How does 90kcal make a healthy meal?

How is it proven than taking all those micronutrients in a vitamin mix effective, when we know vitamins from non-whole food sources are not?
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    How about lol at both of them and anyone saying that any of it does anything more than my doughnuts do. Overhyped b.s. to take advantage of the average consumers failure to realize the difference between causation vs correlation. I've been to the seminar...

And there's no such thing as a meal replacement. You're either eating or you're not. Doesn't matter what,how, how big it is.
  • scoleman58
    Options
    Honestly I Agree, I should just call it a "meal shake". I'm not replacing a meal, I am just in-taking it another way.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eat
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Your best option is to go to your fireplace, put your money into it, and light it on fire.
    Invest that money in healthy produce, and learning how to change your habits to reach your goals. Products like those are only quick fixes, and can't replace the trial and error that comes with living a better lifestyle.

For every person you find that says they work - you will find 50 people who lost weight without spending on a store bought plan.

They ate food that provided the nutrients they needed, exercised, and maintained a calorie deficit.

You will also notice that those who recommend against these products tend to be longer term members, with tickers showing progress and photos and profiles.

Those recommending the products tend to have few posts, no picture or profile, no ticker, no MFP history.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

Feel free to look at my pictures, I support Herbalife if it will help someone. That does not mean I think it is required.

I said 'they tend to' ie it is a generalisation .
    However I notice you do have few posts at 11 and no ticker.
    Of course it is not necessary to have many Posts or a ticker but the generalisation that those who wholeheartedly recommend these products tend to have different features to those who don't recommend them, as I outlined in previous post, is a fairly good indicator of something.

As I said, readers can draw their own conclusions as to what that something is.

I wanted to make sure I was excluded from your generalization, that's all. Tracker added, nope don't post much.

Hunh. Look at his friend list and see if you see what I see.

You mean a small, close-knit of mutual mutuals, some of whom haven't posted in 13-27months???

Yah. Almost like a trove of fake accounts that are being aged for credibility.

That sounds very creepy and sy-fy-ish. Like there are pods of inactive MFP people in hyper suspension. LOL.
    they're waiting on Morpheus to offer them the Advopill or the Herbalpill.

"they're waiting on Morpheus to offer them the Advopill or the Herbalpill." - No one takes multivitamin pills? Not sure why people will take pills and "nutrition"/meal replacement bars but are so against drinking shakes.

Liquid substance takes less time to provide your body with nutrition (30 to 60 mins) where as pills and solid food takes minimum 2 hours upward oh 6 to 8 hours before the body processes it and gets the nutrition into the blood stream for use.

I don't take multi vitamin pills either. The only supplement I take is iron tablets - my iron level starts to drop too low if I don't.
    Yes I know I could eat half a liver a day or something and possibly not need this but I have problems eating too much red meat .

Also not sure of relevance of liquid substances providing quicker nutrition - why does this matter?
    Other than rare instances where people need a nutrient quickly ( diabetics having a hypo, for example) the usual time for food to digest is just fine.

Anyway why couldn't you just drink a regular food, like a glass of milk or soup, if you are in a hurry for nutrients? Why an expensive meal replacement shake?
  • scoleman58
    Options
    Your best option is to go to your fireplace, put your money into it, and light it on fire.
    Invest that money in healthy produce, and learning how to change your habits to reach your goals. Products like those are only quick fixes, and can't replace the trial and error that comes with living a better lifestyle.

For every person you find that says they work - you will find 50 people who lost weight without spending on a store bought plan.

They ate food that provided the nutrients they needed, exercised, and maintained a calorie deficit.

You will also notice that those who recommend against these products tend to be longer term members, with tickers showing progress and photos and profiles.

Those recommending the products tend to have few posts, no picture or profile, no ticker, no MFP history.

Feel free to look at my pictures, I support Herbalife if it will help someone. That does not mean I think it is required.

Of course it is not necessary to have many Posts or a ticker but the generalisation that those who wholeheartedly recommend these products tend to have different features to those who don't recommend them, as I outlined in previous post, is a fairly good indicator of something.

I wanted to make sure I was excluded from your generalization, that's all. Tracker added, nope don't post much.

You mean a small, close-knit of mutual mutuals, some of whom haven't posted in 13-27months???

That sounds very creepy and sy-fy-ish. Like there are pods of inactive MFP people in hyper suspension. LOL.

Liquid substance takes less time to provide your body with nutrition (30 to 60 mins) where as pills and solid food takes minimum 2 hours upward oh 6 to 8 hours before the body processes it and gets the nutrition into the blood stream for use.

I don't take multi vitamin pills either. The only supplement I take is iron tablets - my iron level starts to drop too low if I don't.
    Yes I know I could eat half a liver a day or something and possibly not need this but I have problems eating too much red meat .

Also not sure of relevance of liquid substances providing quicker nutrition - why does this matter?
    Other than rare instances where people need a nutrient quickly ( diabetics having a hypo, for example) the usual time for food to digest is just fine.

Anyway why couldn't you just drink a regular food, like a glass of milk or soup, if you are in a hurry for nutrients? Why an expensive meal replacement shake?

Why liquid substances providing quicker nutrition matters on my schedule is once I wake up I am at the with within about 90 mins. No solid food I eat will provide the nutrition (energy) I need for the workout I do. This is the importance of the meal shake for me. It also allows for quick nutrition on my days off before my long runs (Training for half marathon up to 12 miles for long runs) since with wife and kids I do not always know exactly when I will get to run on those days. I also use pre, during and post workout drinks for adequate nutrition fuel and recovery. Lastly using these shakes benefit me making sure I get all the nutrition I need in a day.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Well, I see my original post has stirred up some convo.
    For anyone else reading this that's contemplating one of these products, I'd advise you to research them thoroughly; and not just the products you're looking to use.

Herbalife has been in hot water lately, and a lot of it is stemming from this:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-herbalife-fbi-20140412,0,5064592.story#axzz2yf5auIDV

They've long been touted as a pyramid scheme, and I wouldn't want to put my money into a company that may be a scam.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Why liquid substances providing quicker nutrition matters on my schedule is once I wake up I am at the with within about 90 mins. No solid food I eat will provide the nutrition (energy) I need for the workout I do. This is the importance of the meal shake for me. It also allows for quick nutrition on my days off before my long runs (Training for half marathon up to 12 miles for long runs) since with wife and kids I do not always know exactly when I will get to run on those days. I also use pre, during and post workout drinks for adequate nutrition fuel and recovery. Lastly using these shakes benefit me making sure I get all the nutrition I need in a day.

You should join the Long Distance Runner board so that Carson can help you out with some of your misconceptions about fueling.
  • scoleman58
    Options
    Well, I see my original post has stirred up some convo.
    For anyone else reading this that's contemplating one of these products, I'd advise you to research them thoroughly; and not just the products you're looking to use.

Herbalife has been in hot water lately, and a lot of it is stemming from this:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-herbalife-fbi-20140412,0,5064592.story#axzz2yf5auIDV

They've long been touted as a pyramid scheme, and I wouldn't want to put my money into a company that may be a scam.

I agree you must always research products and companies :) This is a ongoing investigation started by a money seeking, already millionaire who claimed Herbalife was a pyramid scheme. See the news broadcast below that discredits what Ackman tried to makes lots of money from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoTJBzRvn4s

pyramid scheme - a form of investment (illegal in the US and elsewhere) in which each paying participant recruits two further participants, with returns being given to early participants using money contributed by later ones.
    This means you only make money by recruiting people and there is normally no "real" product or service being provided.

Multi-level marketing (MLM) - is a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they personally generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit.

Is you are a distributor with Herbalife and someone you sell products to wants to become one it is currently $68, this pays for the training materials and samples they start you will for that $68. The person that "signed you up" makes NO money with someone become a distributor. Since a pyramid scheme main focus is making money on singing other people on I don't see Herbalife being a pyramid scheme. Also Herbalife sells tangible product that commission is made from, something else pyramid scheme are accused of NOT doing.
  • scoleman58
    Options

You should join the Long Distance Runner board so that Carson can help you out with some of your misconceptions about fueling.

I do appreciate your info, but I train and have been learning by 5 different people that have ran them for over 10 years each. I have seen only progress at this time. I am going to stick with what is working. If what I am doing and is being taught fails, believe me I will seek other instructions. Thanks for the info on the Long Distance Runner board, I will defiantly still check it out, you can never learn enough! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I do appreciate your info, but I train and have been learning by 5 different people that have ran them for over 10 years each. I have seen only progress at this time. I am going to stick with what is working. If what I am doing and is being taught fails, believe me I will seek other instructions. Thanks for the info on the Long Distance Runner board, I will defiantly still check it out, you can never learn enough! :)

Do what works for you. I just wouldn't want other runners to assume that this is a great strategy for everybody.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    i have been approached by sellers of BOTH lately and lemme tell you my oppinion....... NEITHER... mostly for reasons already brought up but ALSO because i read about them and NEITHER are safe for small children and breastfeeding mothers and pregnant women. I am a breastfeeding mom and i wouldn't risk anything that may not be safe for my little one. There is also a lot of misrepresentation about the products also. I was given a breakdown sheet on the advocare stuff and they have products they have listed as "safe" for pregnant ladies but do not give it to children under 12.... UH what?!?! its safe for an unborn baby but not and 11 year old?!?! that does not add up. don't do it. save your money. eat better. excercise.
    oh and the way they get around that is they say "consult your doctor before starting any program"
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    and the poster above me posted and deactived.... nice....
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I don't think they deactivated themselves.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I don't think they deactivated themselves.

^this

The clue is that their post is *entirely* gone now. Users don't have that power.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I agree you must always research products and companies :) This is a ongoing investigation started by a money seeking, already millionaire who claimed Herbalife was a pyramid scheme. See the news broadcast below that discredits what Ackman tried to makes lots of money from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoTJBzRvn4s

pyramid scheme - a form of investment (illegal in the US and elsewhere) in which each paying participant recruits two further participants, with returns being given to early participants using money contributed by later ones.
    This means you only make money by recruiting people and there is normally no "real" product or service being provided.

Multi-level marketing (MLM) - is a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they personally generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit.

Is you are a distributor with Herbalife and someone you sell products to wants to become one it is currently $68, this pays for the training materials and samples they start you will for that $68. The person that "signed you up" makes NO money with someone become a distributor. Since a pyramid scheme main focus is making money on singing other people on I don't see Herbalife being a pyramid scheme. Also Herbalife sells tangible product that commission is made from, something else pyramid scheme are accused of NOT doing.
    MLM's are "disguised" legal pyramid scheme. While the recruiter doesn't necessarily make money off the direct recruit they have (till later if they last long enough in the business), the mission is to get as many recruits they recruited to sign up as many under them so the initial person can profit from purchases of autoship once others sign up.
    Don't be fooled into thinking that MLM's aren't pyramids. They obviously are based on how money is made.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • modernpilgrimage
    Options
    I tried Advocare and lost about 7 pounds but gained it all back. It was way too much work. I had to choke down SO many pills per day, drink a disgusting fiber drink and follow a diet plan. In all honesty, I think that 7lb loss came from the dietary change and not Advocare. I spent about $250 and it was a huge waste. I could have gotten so much stuff with that money! Never again! If you want to lose weight you need to exercise and eat at a calorie deficit.