muscles tight and not flexible

Options
Does anyone else abnormally have very tight and inflexible muscles all the time? Joining hands behind my back is a chore. If you have this problem, do you know why? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have very tight muscles - always have. Particularly hamstrings, hips and shoulders. I did gymnastics for ten years as a child and still was inflexible. Now I do yoga and it does help some, but for as regularly as I go, I do feel I should be able to put my arms by my ears (I can't). Just recently, I'm able to touch the ground when folding in half.

I don't know why, I just think some people are built more inflexibly.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    inactivity and poor posture.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do you do any flexibility/mobility work? We don't get more flexible just by wishing for it
  • mrsnel
    mrsnel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've started working at stretching. I grabbed several different books on the topic and have been working on it, but am very tight.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am not abnormally flexible but I will get random shooting pains in my ligaments when trying to stretch certain body parts. Usually my legs. Yoga has been the only thing that helps. I've also read that to do a true stretch you need to hold it for 30 seconds. You'd be surprised how long that actually is when you are counting.
  • gloriaeffe
    gloriaeffe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think that bad posture and sitting down a lot are to blame mostly.
    Try stretching every day, multiple times a day if you can - even some "passive stretching" would help (e.g. stretch your pecs while taking a work call).