Stay under calories or consume more protein for weight loss?

Options
Sometimes at the end of the day, I see that I'm really under my goal protein amount. But drinking a protein shake would make me go over my calories by a little. So, while both are important, when push comes to shove, should I prioritize getting enough protein or consuming less calories in terms of weight loss?

Replies

• rammsz
    rammsz Posts: 79
    Options
    I would go with stay under. Unless you are trying to bulk up right now then go for the protein shake. So which one is your priority?
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that your body needs fuel, so I think aiming for your macros while staying within your net calorie goal is a good idea. If a full protein drink would put you over your net calorie goal, perhaps only have 1/2 or 3/4 of a serving?
  • jennahaines108
    jennahaines108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would go with stay under. Unless you are trying to bulk up right now then go for the protein shake. So which one is your priority?

Losing weight is my priority--not bulking. But I'm doing a lot of strength training intense activity, so I didn't know if I'd be negatively impacting my body by going without.
  • jeanettebenziger
    Options
    I have been drinking protein. I do not like meat so I get very little protein. I have about 900 to 1200 calories a day and still cannot lose weight. I contribute that to a lack of protein, so I am trying the shakes. :smile:
  • nicki_lynne
    nicki_lynne Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What do you mix with your protein shakes? Could you make them lower cal? Switching to unsweetened Almond milk (30 cal per serving) has given me a lot of extra calories to work with.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OP it depends on how much you're under, if you're under by a significant amount then take the protein, especially if it's a day you've trained. If it's not much stick by the deficit.

Obviously the best solution is to avoid this happening, so in the future I suggest planning your meals out in advance as much as possible, or at least making sure you can meet your protein macro.
  • justinrnz
    justinrnz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're under your Protein goal and that close to your calorie limit then you've eaten too much fat and/or carbs... manually adjust your settings to 40/30/30 (%) Protein/Carbs/Fat... so 40% of your calories are consumed with Protein.. 30% of your calories are from fats & carbs. And here's a tip. Get rid of all dairy products from your life and use Unsweetedned Almond Milk instead of that hormone ridden cows crap.., Sprouts/Pesto/Olive Oil instead of Grated Cheese/Cheese and Kale/Hemp Protein & Berry smoothies instead of Yoghurt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

A protein shake will make someone 'bulk up' when in a calorie deficit? Really? :huh:
  • pakmann28
    pakmann28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What i would do in your case is drop your calories a bit and then go by your macros (carbs, proteins, fats) and hit those, then that way, you will forsure be in a calorie deficit even after you hit your macros.