raaaaaaant

Wasn't sure where to post it, but something that really annoys me...

When overweight or obese people lose weight to a point where they are truly slim and "skinny", and this is congratulated. However, when an average person or someone not happy with their current state drops down to the exact same state as the overweight or obese one, it is frowned upon and considered unhealthy and disordered.

There is no logic in this, it's almost like it's only okay to be slim if you were once overweight. It's as if if you're normal, then you shouldn't be losing any more weight. WHyy

rant over :)

Replies

• matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Ok, I first just want to say that I totally get your point and it's valid. However, the thing with people who don't need to lose weight setting weight loss goals can RESULT in problems. Not all the time, and certainly not if done right, but if it's taken too far there is the potential for some people to develop disordered eating or suffer physiological damage by losing too much weight too fast. It doesn't seem like that's your issue though, so I can understand why getting those responses could be annoying.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    For me it would be if the person that's already within normal/healthy range was then dropping weight to an underweight range then that's not healthy.
    Weight is just a number on the scale, why do you want to continue to drop weight instead of increasing lean body weight and improving VO2 output and getting healthier (just because a person is within a normal weight range doesn't mean they are healthy, they can still have high levels of visceral fat/high sodium levels/high cholestoral etc).

I would also say this about people who were overweight and have lost too much weight!!!
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    I guess people are just concerned. Health is the number one goal on this website for most people, and if you're in a healthy range it seems that there is no reason to keep going. Especially because some people just do it because they THINK they had to look like some slim super model - and that's again, unhealthy.
    However, I do understand very well what you mean. I'm at a healthy BMI also and I still want to lose weight.
    It really just depends on the individual.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I kind of comprehend. Weight loss is hard but you got overweight in the first place. I lost 2.5 stone in 6 months but felt no motivation to seek self-congratulation.

What annoys me most however is the fake celebrities that are all of a sudden deemed the pioneers of health and exercise just because they have been pictured in the media overweight and then losing weight over a few months. This then is promoted with their own weight loss video which can make you be slim in 5 minutes, when actually, this is a lie. These celebs more likely have undergone an obsessively unhealthy/unappealing regime just so they can claim anyone can be like them. Its a con.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Wasn't sure where to post it, but something that really annoys me...

When overweight or obese people lose weight to a point where they are truly slim and "skinny", and this is congratulated. However, when an average person or someone not happy with their current state drops down to the exact same state as the overweight or obese one, it is frowned upon and considered unhealthy and disordered.

There is no logic in this, it's almost like it's only okay to be slim if you were once overweight. It's as if if you're normal, then you shouldn't be losing any more weight. WHyy

rant over :)
    Actually, plenty of people are criticized for losing too much weight - for example the most recent biggest loser winner. There was a lot of concern over it. Also check out the complaints threads here and you will see LOTS of people that got down to a healthy weight and were told they were too skinny, going to blow away, etc.

Usually when someone is concerned about an average person losing weight it's because they are using that as their goal rather than being healthier in general.