Need good opinions please

Options
I finally hit may maintenance wait about a month ago, yay! In the last two weeks that I have gained a little over 4 pounds but I am still meticulously logging my calories and eating my maintenance weight. I have been running seven days a week about for about 5 to 6 miles each time for the last couple months because I am training for a half marathon. My husband said that he thinks I've gained weight because my muscles are swelling too much since I haven't taken a day off. There is a medical term for it but I can't remember what it is. It's a long word though :). He is a doctor so I'd like to believe him but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I will admit I do have a bit of an exception because not running every day would make me feel really lazy. If that could possibly be the cause of my weight game I will force myself to take a day off because getting on the scale and seeing the number go up is disheartening, especially after hitting my goal weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If your muscles are retaining water then the scale will make it appear as though you are gaining.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes you need to take rest days to rid the muscles of the glycogen and water stores used for healing.

If you feel "lazy" on your rest days go for a walk...
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Run three days, rest one or crosstrain below 60% HRM, run two, rest one fully (this full rest is key). Repeat.
    You can hold that cycle for like forever without taking two days of rest in a row.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    running 7 days a week is usually not advised, you need a rest day - as mentioned you can go for a walk or something easier, but I think at the rate you are going eventually you will crash and burn.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yikes, big time errors in my first post! That's what I get for dictating ????. I did some more research into it and it sounds like he is right. I am going to force myself to take two days off a week but possibly incorporate some light yoga into those days. I also plan to start strength training a few days a week so hopefully that will help. I think he was just getting concerned because he knows how obsessed I am with running every day and honestly I know it is unhealthy. I base my entire day on my runs, which is insane and I need to work on that. Thank you for your advice everyone!!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Running is great and alot of people love it (and base their whole day on it too :wink: ), just remember taking care of you legs/muscles is just as important as getting out and logging the miles.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just know that gaining 4lbs in 2 weeks is highly improbably unless you've been gorging yourself every single day and are being a slug, which it sounds like you definitely aren't. I run 6 days a week (about 35-40 MPW) in maintenance too and my weight fluctuates 4-6lbs on any given day I weigh myself, but I know my baseline is 153-154 and within a couple days, I get right back there. When I'm hot in the training cycle (which I am now), I just don't weigh myself.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Your body has a flinch mechanism built in. It doesn't like change, and it wants to store some fat in case the zombie apocalypse happens tomorrow. It doesn't care about six pack goals.

Try going back to eating at a slight deficit. When you reach the fat level you want to remain at, make sure you stay there for about 2 months. That might mean eating at that slight deficit for those 2 months.

I'd add some type of resistance exercise too. If your body has to build muscle, it won't concern itself with storing more fat. Even some daily bodyweight would work. Push ups, lunges, squats, pull ups, planks.. whatever
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Your hubby is right..how about doing some yoga on your "rest day"..it still is exercise but more gentle than pounding the pavement! :)