Who taught you to lift?

2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I took weight training classes in both highschool and college. I think both were taught by football coaches. However no one ever emphasized that you need to hit parallel on your squats.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    YouTube/BroScienceLife

Actually, SideSteel
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    A couple of guy friends I made at the gym on my base when I was deployed to Kuwait in 2010. The male/female ratio was something like 10-1, so there was always help around. It was easy to tell who knew what they were doing and who didn't.

One guy specifically always tried to push my limits. It was then that I realized what "heavy lifting" actually was. Ever since then, I've designed my own workouts based on tools I have available to me. (I don't have access to a gym.)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    bodybuilding.com, new rules of lifting for women, tons of youtube videos, and I took a weight training class in highschool so I didn't have to play badminton.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    A good friend of my husband's (& now me!) taught me after my hubby mentioned to him that I wanted to get in shape/lose weight. He started out as my trainer-ish kinda & turned into my gym partner for a while.

Wouldn't know ANYTHING about lifting if it weren't for him!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    I learned from "old school" gym of hard knocks with bodybuilders who were strict in their form. Then I studied kinesiology and learned more and applied.
    Now with so many different clients, I have to adapt/modify some lifting techniques due to ROM, injury, or rehab for may of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition