Exercise Ratio

Options
I just started working out at the gym on Monday and I know that just doing cardio will do much of anything after some time, so I was wondering what a good ratio is between cardio and strength/resistance workout. For now since I just started I was thinking of doing cardio (treadmill, bike, elliptical) M-F and then do strength/resistance on the weekends, but I don't know if this is good for the long haul or not. Also do I need to have a rest day in there somewhere? Any suggestions would be great thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Largely it depends on your objectives and how much effort you put into your cardio activities.

From a personal perspective my objectives are around running distance and speed, so I run five times per week and do two resistance sessions. My runs are one medium intensity long distance, one medium intensity shorter distance and three higher/ high intensity shorter distances tempo and interval sessions.

The resistance training helps retain lean mass, and supports injury prevention when I'm running.

Sometimes I'll add in a long cycle or an hour of rowing as well.