Chocolate Cravings!!

Options
Everyday around 3pm I have chocolate cravings and they are SUPER bad.... until I give in and go get me some chocolate!! Usually a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (well 2 :( )

How do I get passed this?!?!? It's everyday!! and it's like I'm starving for chocolate to the point I can smell it before I get it!! And I don't want to continue eating it everyday... if it wasn't for this hurdle my eating would be great!!!

How do you overcome this? When does it become easier?

Replies

• goodkarma2
    Options
    I have similar cravings and unfortunately there is ALWAYS chocolate in the house where I live.

The only thing I can think of that would make it easy is if you don't have chocolate handy...
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I keep unsweetened cocoa powder in the house for cravings. I add a full tablespoon to a mug of hot water, I usually use regular sugar (1 tablespoon) but you can also use stevia or other sweetener. you can also add some milk ( I use almond milk)
    the way I make it is around 50 calories and very satisfying.
  • ttdragonflytt
    Options
    Try dark chocolate. It has more nutritional benefits than the milk chocolate. Plus, it is less sweet and may help curb the sweet appeal of the regular chocolate. My dad is a serious chocoholic and this has helped him.:happy:
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    For me personally things like granola bars, Fiber One bars, Quaker Delight bars have worked. I just figure them into my calories for the day. They still have chocolate but are a little better of an option than a candy bar.
  • Brat3073
    Options
    Chocolate Cherrios is the answer! i have these on hand all the time. 3/4 of a cup is only 100 calories!!! Its the best too...you get your sweet/crunchie/chocolate fix all at once!
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to say I am a chocoholic so its just best to not have chocolate in my house at all. If it is in the house I will eat it. If not during the day, I will wake up in the middle of the night, eat it and throw the paper away in the bathroom. I have no memory of eating it, but I did. No chocolate for me or anyone else in my household....
  • kennagirl1916
    Options
    My trainer approves of High Protein bars. My favorite are Oh Yeah! bars. They have 190 calories and 15 grams of protein. That is a lot of protein which you need when exercising. I lost 25 lbs in 90 days eating one EVERY day.:wink:
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem before I started this site.... Mine was snickers. I found snickers minis. 4 of them are only 170. I figured out what each piece was worth. I allowed myself one, if I absolutely needed another one, I had two etc. Up to 4. I think I only "needed" 4 one time. I eat them very slowly, and wait a while in between. It's working. =-). I bet that especially around Halloween you shouldn't have any prob finding a mini version of yours. Try to find the MINI and not just the snack size, if not, the snack size is still better than full size. Just make sure that you log everything that you eat, even if you go over calories.
    I hope this works for you like it did for me. Good luck!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have been amazed how much I have *not* craved chocolate... but when I do I try to get the best chocolate I can. Dark chocolate is better for you (and satisfies chocolate cravings more for me) than milk chocolate. You could also mix a little chocolate in with other items -- trail mix with some good quality chocolate chips, nuts, sunflower seeds, etc. Chocolate cereal (Cheerios, Chex) is also a good way to go!

Oh, there is also a recipe to mix 1 can of pumpkin with 1 box of chocolate cake mix. That is it. Don't add anything to it. It is still not the healthiest but it is better than Reese's. (And, I used to love Reese's but that pb/chocolate combo is as unhealthy as it is yummy!)
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Cherrios is the answer! i have these on hand all the time. 3/4 of a cup is only 100 calories!!! Its the best too...you get your sweet/crunchie/chocolate fix all at once!

I love those too! NOT as cereal, I find they get funky. But as a crunchy chocolatey snack....absolutely!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    The Emerald Cocoa Roast almonds (100 cal packs) have been amazingly effective for me.... As has adding 1/2 tbsp mini chips to a serving of oatmeal...
  • vauleese
    Options
    Special K Chocolate Cereal (Have to go buy me some on pay day for my after dinner craving for chocolate)
    Tootsie Pops! I wish they made just a bag of the chocolate ones (about 90 cal's I think). I have one of these and suck on it...gives me my chocolate fix and it last's for a little bit longer then a chocolate bar would.
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Walmart Mini Ice Cream sandwiches(100 calories), Walmart Sugar Free Ice Cream sandwiches(110 calories), or Hunts Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding snack packs(90 calories) are what I use to get past those cravings. The Quaker Choclate Chunk Granola bars are also good(90 calories).
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had extreme chocolate cravings when I first started and I knew I wasn't going to deny myself chocolate for the rest of my life. I bought a bag of Hershey's Kisses but limited myself to 1 or 2 Kisses when the craving hit. The dark chocolate ones work best for me. I also like Hunt's Snack Pack Fat Free Chocolate Pudding cups and Fiber One or Kelloggs fiber bars with chocolate.

When I know none of the above is going to satisfy me I get a 3 Musketeers Truffle Crisp Bars. The entire package (2 bars) only has 170 calories, 9g fat, 5mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 20g carbs, and 2g protein which seems like a lot but really isn't in the world of candy bars. And since it's been a while since I've indulged in candy bars this one tastes really rich! Usually by the time I'm halfway through the first bar I don't want any more so I save the other bar for another time.
  • cjemtegaard
    Options
    bump! i will need this on-hand :laugh: good suggestions thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think you maybe a little too hard on yourself. I just looked at your food diary back a few days and you don't go over. if you've got the balance of calories, why deprive yourself? maybe switch to dark chocolate it you like it though. if you're craving something, your body might just be telling you there's something it needs. Potassium? Calcium? I'm not telling you to overindulge, but there is a balance. Chocolate can be good for you!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    try purchasing Kashi TLC Dark Mocha Almond Granola Bars, only 130 calories and you will get your chocolate fix.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I actually have refound fudgicles only 60 calories and it takes awhile to eat so really hits the chocolate spot.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try vita-tops, they are muffin tops, 100 calories, loaded with vitamins & come in all different flavors. The only one I can get in my area is double chocolate... They are pretty good & will cure the craving in a good way! Good luck!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you're anywhere close to a Trader Joe's, get a container of their peanut butter cups. Taste like (imho better than) Reese's without the complete junk that's in Reese's. They're the size of the mini Reese's cups. You get 3 for 180 calories! :) I always keep a tub of them in my fridge.

If it's any help, I'm finding that as I'm improving my eating I'm craving chocolate less and less.