The day after the day after an intense workout

Options
After an intense workout like body pump or body combat, my muscles always tends to ache more 2 days after. Is it advisable to let your body rest or work through the pain.

I went to Body Pump yesterday, my muscles don't feel too painful at the moment so i'll be going to a body combat class tonight, but i had also booked spinning for tomorrow but i'm wondering if I should let my body rest or power through it.

All advice and suggestions welcome. :-)

Replies

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Personally I know the difference between 'I'm hurts' and I stop and rest before it leads to injury and 'this hurts' because I haven't done exercise for a while (it which case I suck it up and get on with it)!!

I always have 1 proper rest day each week and vary between strength/cross training and running the other 6 days, if I'm rather sore a couple of days after a workout, I still do whatever I had planned but may tone it back a notch.

Whatch out for the over-training signs and rest if you need to:)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Odds are if you're new to working out or you've recently switched programs/routines, it's just soreness. When I did Body Pump years ago I can remember I was miserable the first week. EVERYTHING hurt. The last thing I wanted to do was go to another class when it hurt just to walk, but I powered through it. It goes away with consistency. Your muscles will start to get conditioned to your workouts. You may have some slight soreness here and there, but usually the "I want to die now" soreness is just the first week or so of a new workout.

Just drink a lot of water and don't skip stretching. I can always feel it after a workout if I skipped my stretching session, no matter if it's lifting or cardio.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Personally I know the difference between 'I'm hurts' and I stop and rest before it leads to injury and 'this hurts' because I haven't done exercise for a while (it which case I suck it up and get on with it)!!

I always have 1 proper rest day each week and vary between strength/cross training and running the other 6 days, if I'm rather sore a couple of days after a workout, I still do whatever I had planned but may tone it back a notch.

Whatch out for the over-training signs and rest if you need to:)

This is what I do. Also if it's really bothering you, taking a bath with a couple cups of epsom salts in it helps tremendously. (you can get them at the drug store for under $5)
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Odds are if you're new to working out or you've recently switched programs/routines, it's just soreness. When I did Body Pump years ago I can remember I was miserable the first week. EVERYTHING hurt. The last thing I wanted to do was go to another class when it hurt just to walk, but I powered through it. It goes away with consistency. Your muscles will start to get conditioned to your workouts. You may have some slight soreness here and there, but usually the "I want to die now" soreness is just the first week or so of a new workout.

Just drink a lot of water and don't skip stretching. I can always feel it after a workout if I skipped my stretching session, no matter if it's lifting or cardio.

I'm not new to working out but I've recently changed my routines and this was my 1st body pump class in about 2 years. It is just soreness...it's not an injury pain or anything. I'm going to power through body combat tonight and see how I feel on Thursday for spinning.
    I reckon once I get going I might be ok, but the inital thought of it when your whole body aches is very daunting.