Am I eating right?

Options
Since i started dieting and some excerising i notice my stomach is much smaller but still fat tho, but it has boosted my confidence. I drink 5 cups of green tea a day, 8 cups of water, I eat whole grains food like wheat bread and oatmeal, egg white. I usually eat 900 to 1,179 calories a day. i try to burn the rest by staying active, so far i see progress, but i dont want to go in starvation mode and i stop losing weight and i start gaining, Thats my fear. am i eating good enough to continue my weight loss?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    1179 is way too low for anyone!
    People will need your diary open and your height, weight and exercise routine to help you.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    1,179 is not enough calories for you - My BMR is 1450 - You are eating below yours!

Work out YOUR BMR, and YOUR TDEE - You will be surprised how much more you need to eat.

What are your stats? Height, Weight etc?

And your exercising so you need to eat ALOT more, or your weight loss will slow down or stop.

Food is fuel remember - EAT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: )
  • romsmom101
    Options
    if you put in your current weight and your goal weight it works out how many calories you should be eating a day to be healthy and still lose weight - mine is currently 1200.

work it out and stick to it is my advice

E
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Your calories are very low and it's hard to create a deficiency with that amount. In order for you to get the best advice from posters is to track everything and open your food diary. Posters will review your activiteis and give you sound advice.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No, you are not right. As a 25 year old male, you should be eating probably double that to lose weight. I am losing eating 1800 calories a day, and as a female, I probably inherently burn less calories than you do per day.

Use an online calculator to determine how much you burn in a day. There are lots, but a lot of people like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It gives a lot of information on the site about macro breakdown and calories per meal, but mostly you should just look at the calories needed to maintain weight, and how many you need to lose at a moderate defecit (-20%).

ETA: Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Pastor_John
    Options
    Im 5'4 and weight 250 it says on my daily goal i should eat 1,860. My diary is open, I need some advice
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If it says you should eat 1,860 then that's what you need to eat! And if you log exercise then eat back those calories as well.
  • Branstin
    Options
    Im 5'4 and weight 250 it says on my daily goal i should eat 1,860. My diary is open, I need some advice

I looked at your diary. You seems to be eating fine and drinking plenty of water. Add more frutis and veggies though. What about your exercise? How much and how often?
  • auddii
    Options
    Looking at your diary, eat more food. And you don't have to drink green tea all the time unless you actually like the taste of it. It won't help with your weight loss. You also don't seem to be eating any fruits or vegetables. I would definitely add those in. If you absolutely despise them (I have no idea how you can despise all of them prepared in every manner possible), make sure you take a multivitamin.

It's hard to assess your diary as everything is just far too low. If you are feeling full on that amount, 1) cut down on your liquid intake, 2) add in more nutrient dense foods such as avocados, oils, butter, bacon, nuts, cheese, etc.
  • auddii
    Options

I looked at your diary. You seems to be eating fine and drinking plenty of water. What about your exercise? How much and how often?
    Really? You think having a 2000 calorie a day deficit is "eating fine"?!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, eat more food. And you don't have to drink green tea all the time unless you actually like the taste of it. It won't help with your weight loss. You also don't seem to be eating any fruits or vegetables. I would definitely add those in. If you absolutely despise them (I have no idea how you can despise all of them prepared in every manner possible), make sure you take a multivitamin.

It's hard to assess your diary as everything is just far too low. If you are feeling full on that amount, 1) cut down on your liquid intake, 2) add in more nutrient dense foods such as avocados, oils, butter, bacon, nuts, cheese, etc.

Great advice here. If you are feeling full already, stick to adding a few things in mentioned above. But you are eating far too little I think. Judging from your ticker you are probably at least 250 lbs currently (says you wanted to lose 125), should be at minimum eating where I am (and probably more because you are a guy!). I eat anywhere from 1400-1700 calories on non work out days. On days I do lots of calorie burns (like Zumba), it jumps to 1900-2100. So, yes try eating more. :wink:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Holy cannoli!! I eat AT LEAST 1500 calories/day and I'm 5'2... you need to up your calories big time! You should at least be eating AT BMR... never below.
  • Pastor_John
    Options
    It went to the 2000 because I worked out i had a filling lunch so dinner is going to be light if the calories are low ill just eat more till i reach 1800 calories. i need to go grocery shopping soon i ran out of fruits and veggies, I do love them by the way.
  • Pastor_John
    Options
    Ill take you guys advice and just eat more
  • Branstin
    Options

I looked at your diary. You seems to be eating fine and drinking plenty of water. What about your exercise? How much and how often?

His profile is set to 2106. So far, he has only eaten 1013. He still has to track his dinner and possible more snacks. What makes you think his deficit is 2000 calories when he hasn't finished tracking? Therefore, I stand by my original post in that his eating of eggs, low-fat milk, and whole wheat is "eating fine". Fine is not the same as not needing improvement or perfect! If you bother to look at my other posts to him, I already advised him to eat more and add more fruits and veggies. So...?
  • auddii
    Options

His profile is set to 2106. So far, he has only eaten 1013. He still has to track his dinner and possible more snacks. What makes you think his deficit is 2000 calories when he hasn't finished tracking? Therefore, I stand by my original post in that his eating of eggs, low-fat milk, and whole wheat is "eating fine". Fine is not the same as not needing improvement or perfect! If you bother to look at my other posts to him, I already advised him to eat more and add more fruits and veggies. So...?
    Yesterday he ate 900 calories. And I went by what he said in the original post, that he usually eats between 900-1100 calories a day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Do you even MFP? no, really. You're hurting yourself doing this. Please read up...do it right...be healthy.
  • Branstin
    Options

Yesterday he ate 900 calories. And I went by what he said in the original post, that he usually eats between 900-1100 calories a day.

Like I previously stated, I already suggested to him that his calories were low and he should eat more. Today, he isn't finished yet...So?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    make sure you're hitting or getting close to your calorie goal; it already includes your weight loss deficit and your body will ultimately thank you later. You also don't need to burn off every calorie you consume with exercise or whatever...you burn calories 24/7 just being alive.

Your basal calories (those calories you would burn if you did nothing but sleep) represent the largest portion of your daily calorie requirements. On top of that you have your day to day non-exercise activity like crawling out of bed, walking around, cleaning, cooking, going to work, etc. Then on top of that you have exercise. All of these things add up to your total daily burn and MFP (and other calculators) simply estimate what that might be based on your stats and activity and takes a cut from there to lose weight. Keep in mind that MFP does not include exercise in your activity level...so if you're doing anything moderately vigorous you are going to want to account for those calories and eat at least a portion of your burn back to do so; your muscles and body will thank you by re-building and repairing themselves...in the absence of that nutrition, much of your training just goes to waste.

Just try to hit your calorie GOAL...it is in fact a goal, something to be achieved.