Kids and protein

Options
I'm fairly new to this protein powder thing, I just wanted to know is it safe to give your kids recipes made with protein powder? The reason I ask is because I have a 6 year old and an 18 month old, and they like to eat what I eat. I've been a little iffy letting them have some of the protein muffins, cookies, and oatmeal, or a sip of my shake because I don't know if its ok for them.

Replies

• Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Your 6 year old should be fine, but I would ask your pediatrician about your 18 month old. I know under 12 months, too much protein can cause bloody stool. I'm not sure how much that changes as they get older.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves the chocolate flavored protein in milk for breakfast - she drinks that before school in the morning - it's about the only breakfast we can get into her before school.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My almost 3 yr old boy love my coconut, banana, peanut butter n spinach smoothie which has a scoop of vanilla protein. Doesn't upset his tummy at all. My 11 yr old daughter would rather die than drink any smoothie.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your 6 year old should be fine, but I would ask your pediatrician about your 18 month old. I know under 12 months, too much protein can cause bloody stool. I'm not sure how much that changes as they get older.

This! I don't have any medical information, but from personal experience, I have never noticed any negative side effects from my 5 yr old daughter having foods made with protein powder.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if they only want a bite or two then I wouldn't sweat it at all. If they want the entire thing then I would be hesitant, especially for your 18 month. The older I would imagine is ok.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • twilaklasen
    twilaklasen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would not, too many chemicals and fake sugars. Would you give your kids diet soda?