Did I seriously only burn 72 calories?

Options

Replies

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate. You'll need a good HRM to determine how much you are actually burning.

As with what others have been saying already, it is affected by weight, height, age, sex, and fitness level. The incline also plays a part. As does, speaking from experience here, carrying extra weight.

I'm currently training for the MoonWalk, and have done a few walks to work as part of my training. When I do that, I am carrying a heavy backpack on my back which holds my lunch, an umbrella, a water bottle and my handbag. I burn considerably more calories on those walks than I do on my weekend walks (when all I have is a water bottle and my phone).

For comparison, my average HR on those walks (a 14 min mile), is around the 160 mark, with the max HR being around 178 (now, it was 185 to begin with). So, if your HR is only 135, that's pretty low (comparatively speaking) and you could stand to push it harder. But I am not clear if that was after having stopped for a minute, or not. If so, it would suggest that your max HR was probably around the same as mine and was coming down nicely.

If you want to maximise your walks, without having to walk longer, then work on the speed and/or add a heavy backpack to your back.

And don't be hard on yourself, I was doing 16 min miles to start with, but have got it down to 14 min miles over the course of 4 weeks. Progress takes time, but you'll get there.

Also, a HRM is invaluable if you're interested in accurate calorie burns.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate. You'll need a good HRM to determine how much you are actually burning.

As with what others have been saying already, it is affected by weight, height, age, sex, and fitness level. The incline also plays a part. As does, speaking from experience here, carrying extra weight.

I'm currently training for the MoonWalk, and have done a few walks to work as part of my training. When I do that, I am carrying a heavy backpack on my back which holds my lunch, an umbrella, a water bottle and my handbag. I burn considerably more calories on those walks than I do on my weekend walks (when all I have is a water bottle and my phone).

For comparison, my average HR on those walks (a 14 min mile), is around the 160 mark, with the max HR being around 178 (now, it was 185 to begin with). So, if your HR is only 135, that's pretty low (comparatively speaking) and you could stand to push it harder. But I am not clear if that was after having stopped for a minute, or not. If so, it would suggest that your max HR was probably around the same as mine and was coming down nicely.

If you want to maximise your walks, without having to walk longer, then work on the speed and/or add a heavy backpack to your back.

And don't be hard on yourself, I was doing 16 min miles to start with, but have got it down to 14 min miles over the course of 4 weeks. Progress takes time, but you'll get there.

HR does not equal calorie burn. There is a relationship between HR and VO2 that allow for an estimation under certain circumstances (steady state cardio, which this would apply to).
    Calorie burn is two things - intensity and weight. That's it. (incline would fall under intensity).

HRMs are very misunderstood on here and often overestimated in their accuracy. They are a good tool, however, they are not infallible.

I'm pretty sure I linked it above but just in case, this post is a really great explanation of how they work.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think that's a reasonable amount of calories, 72x3=216 calories per hour (more or less). If you wanna burn more, you have to work out for at least one hour.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    3.5mph is walking pace. So yeah, that calorie burn is about right.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again: Walking is vastly overrated for burning calories.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Not sure but is 135 for a heart-rate that high when you've been working out? Mine gets around 160. Just curious.

Lol I was thinking the same thing, When I'm doing the 30 Day Shred mine gets up to about 180 and I burn around 380 cal. in 25 min.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill I typically burn 500 calories an hour. 4.5 MPH average as sometimes I jog and other times Im walking fast..

Same here. The more I walk (versus run), the lower the calories (under 500/hr).

You could increase the incline of the treadmill to increase the calorie burn. However, in general, you've got to sweat to burn those calories. If you stop because you are sweating or your heart rate has increased, you won't burn many calories.

Start slow and work on increasing your time and pace. This applies to every form of exercise.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Try doing some weight lifting, and developing muscles. :wink:

Will go a long way to help you in your goals and the benefits are great. :smile:
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Since the problem at a pace of 3mph is boredom, why not put a book or a tablet at the top of the treadmill?

When I started working out, it was by fast-paced walking, and the best thing to get rid of the "boredom" of the cold days of treadmill walking was netflix, music, and reading.

Multitask! That way it's not a chore and you can get some enjoyment out of it.

The beginning is hard, but you have to keep working on it to get any results.

Eventually you will get fit enough to increase your speed, just take your time!
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haaattteee running. I highly highly suggest the c25k app if you're going to free walk/jog or using the treadmill. The apps free, pur in your headphones and it tells you what to do and when to do it. I've been using it for a few days and have noticed a GREAT improvement already. Also, Google proper breathing techniques while jogging etc. They've helped me a lot also.

Don't focus on calories lost. Focus on the workout itself. If you get 17inutes one day, push to 20, etc. You're going to sweat and its going to suck but it'll get easier I swear!!

Have you thought about weight lifting?

How about a stair stepper or elliptical?

Try different things! The point is to get healthy, just be more active!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It is conceivable that you are just incredibly unfit. Baby steps, slow n steady wins the race etc
  • denisec226
    denisec226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work out at home but yea, I do some fast paced walking on the treadmill which is 3.5 for me, then punching bag and I do some strength. I have iPad apps for arm and butt workouts, I use weights while doing them
  • euronorris
    Options

HR does not equal calorie burn. There is a relationship between HR and VO2 that allow for an estimation under certain circumstances (steady state cardio, which this would apply to).
    Calorie burn is two things - intensity and weight. That's it. (incline would fall under intensity).

HRMs are very misunderstood on here and often overestimated in their accuracy. They are a good tool, however, they are not infallible.

I'm pretty sure I linked it above but just in case, this post is a really great explanation of how they work.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Thank you.

I have the Polar FT4. Looks like I'll need to consider an upgrade for more accurate calorie burns though. I have been regularly updating it with my weight, as it has decreased, at least.

Could it not be said that *some* HRM's are at least slightly more accurate than MFP's estimates though, because they are at least taking some stats into account that MFP does not?
  • denisec226
    denisec226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ps I wonder if it makes a difference that I don't sweat? Like ever. I get sticky but I've never had a bead of sweat in my life. I lived in fl at one point. Does my heart race, feel like I can't breath, throat burns,get super thirsty, want to stop just to catch my breath? Yes to all of the above, sweat? Never
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Ps I wonder if it makes a difference that I don't sweat? Like ever. I get sticky but I've never had a bead of sweat in my life. I lived in fl at one point. Does my heart race, feel like I can't breath, throat burns,get super thirsty, want to stop just to catch my breath? Yes to all of the above, sweat? Never

No. Like HR, sweat can be an indication of effort, but not necessarily. I am a sweater. My husband jokes I sweat if I think too hard. If burning calories was about sweating, I'd be a stick. I run races and am completely drenched. Some of the women who ran faster or farther (if there is moe than one distance) than I did don't even look like they ran. They certainly were working at a higher intensity. Its more of an individual thing on how our bodies handle heat.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Like most people, that sounds like if anything, it's a little high for a calorie burn for that exercise. Work on working up to a longer walk (even if you can't do it all at once with the kiddos) and a faster walk. Bump up that speed a few tenths every day if possible. If you can do an hour at 4.0 - 4.5 mph, you'll really start burning some calories.
  • euronorris
    Options

No. Like HR, sweat can be an indication of effort, but not necessarily. I am a sweater. My husband jokes I sweat if I think too hard. If burning calories was about sweating, I'd be a stick. I run races and am completely drenched. Some of the women who ran faster or farther (if there is moe than one distance) than I did don't even look like they ran. They certainly were working at a higher intensity. Its more of an individual thing on how our bodies handle heat.

Yep. I, generally, sweat quite a bit also. And go bright red to boot. But if it's a cold day, I don't tend to sweat at all. My fiance, however, could probably break out in a sweat in temps of minus 20!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    No I hate it but I have a four year old and watch a two year old so doing most stuff is out. I can get in maybe an hr before the two year old comes to my house. Plus it's freakin freezing out.
    I wanna do more but I can only stay on 30 min at a time before I loose my mind...so bored. I'd go faster but I can't do it (physically) at this point. 3.5 is top speed for me. I can do 2.5 with a 5 incline but like I said, switching it up or inclines are really hard to log

Walking slower at an incline will burn more calories than walking a bit faster and being flat. Get a HRM, I have a feeling you burned more than 72 calories.

Keep in mind that all bets are off if you start holding on. A common mistake that people make.

Why do you think she burned more than 72 calories?

Why assume I meant for her to hike up the elevation just to hold on to the railings? People do hold on to the treadmills with inclines yes (I've seen it too) - but not everyone does. Common sense has to kick in at some point if you don't feel the burn in your legs from walking up hill.

I think she burned more than 72 calories walking at an incline for 17 minutes because it takes way more effort to walk uphill than it does to walk flat. I'm just suggesting the use of a HRM to know exactly what her body is doing.

Using estimates from an exercise database is as useful as relying soley on the nutrition database. Everyone touts the use of a food scale to measure food. Why not the use of a HRM for exercise?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    No I hate it but I have a four year old and watch a two year old so doing most stuff is out. I can get in maybe an hr before the two year old comes to my house. Plus it's freakin freezing out.
    I wanna do more but I can only stay on 30 min at a time before I loose my mind...so bored. I'd go faster but I can't do it (physically) at this point. 3.5 is top speed for me. I can do 2.5 with a 5 incline but like I said, switching it up or inclines are really hard to log

Walking slower at an incline will burn more calories than walking a bit faster and being flat. Get a HRM, I have a feeling you burned more than 72 calories.

Keep in mind that all bets are off if you start holding on. A common mistake that people make.

Why assume I meant for her to hike up the elevation just to hold on to the railings? People do hold on to the treadmills with inclines yes (I've seen it too) - but not everyone does. Common sense has to kick in at some point if you don't feel the burn in your legs from walking up hill.

I think she burned more than 72 calories walking at an incline for 17 minutes because it takes way more effort to walk uphill than it does to walk flat. I'm just suggesting the use of a HRM to know exactly what her body is doing.

Using estimates from an exercise database is as useful as relying soley on the nutrition database. Everyone touts the use of a food scale to measure food. Why not the use of a HRM for exercise?

I did not assume you meant for her to hold on, nor did I say that. I was adding that to what you said because it is a common mistake. It is hard to walk uphill on a treadmill and the first instinct is to hold on.

72 is generous for walking at her weight, even uphill, based on data tables that are well researched. I was just wondering where the decision that it wasn't high enough came from.

I didn't say not to use a HRM, I didn't say anything about a HRM in that post. Earlier I did say they are far too often misunderstood and the accuracy is overrated. The link I added had suggestions on how to use it more effectively.

ETA - HRMs are intended for estimations during steady state cardio, which is what we are talking about here, that is good. The link suggests ways to help increase accuracy. It is not good for all exercise.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

I did not assume you meant for her to hold on, nor did I say that. I was adding that to what you said because it is a common mistake. It is hard to walk uphill on a treadmill and the first instinct is to hold on.

72 is generous for walking at her weight, even uphill, based on data tables that are well researched. I was just wondering where the decision that it wasn't high enough came from.

I didn't say not to use a HRM, I didn't say anything about a HRM in that post. Earlier I did say they are far too often misunderstood and the accuracy is overrated. The link I added had suggestions on how to use it more effectively.

ETA - HRMs are intended for estimations during steady state cardio, which is what we are talking about here, that is good. The link suggests ways to help increase accuracy. It is not good for all exercise.

You can't base calorie burn on someone's height alone. That has no correspondance to how hard her body is working or how much effort she is putting into whatever her workout of choice is, be it steady state cardio or anything else. Your reasoning makes no sense. But thanks for your expertise on everything related to HRMs.