Big question about the scale

Options
Hello all! Just wanted to ask.. For someone like me who wants to lose 50 more pounds, should I weigh myself every day or not???

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    This is all about you. and its YOUR decision. I can tell you for myself that i weigh myself daily. im sure there are many who would disagree with the way I do it. But then again, we are each on our OWN journey. So do what works for you and what you can handle. Some people will get discouraged with natural every day fluctuations. Not I.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agree with gonewild, it is your call; if you can mentally handle the natural fluctuation on a daily basis, then no worries. Some people weigh only weekly, or even monthly, that way they see only the "true" trend. I weigh myself every day, but only record once per week. I do it so that I can see how my daily diet makes my weight fluctuate. I don't really know how to explain it, I am not obsessing over it, I just like to see how salt or sugar intake increases can make a difference in my daily weight. Yeah, I am a nerd that way!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do, and here's why:

For me, personally, the more frequently I weigh, the less emotional value I place on the number. Weighing every day has led me to better understand what my normal daily fluctuation is - and that it can be as much as 5 lbs in one day! The more I weigh, the less value I place on the scale number and the more value I put on the mirror, measurements, how clothes are fitting, how I'm feeling, etc.

Most people weigh in once a week, which I think is either too frequent or not often enough. Last week my highest weight and my lowest weight were 5 lbs apart - weighing once a week you lose touch with your daily fluctuations, but it's still frequent enough that you aren't really eliminating the problem of random noise. If I weighed in once last week, how would I know if it was on my new low or if it was the highest day that week?

My recommendation: weigh either daily or once every six weeks or so, whichever would be better for your emotional health.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to you. If you do decide to weigh yourself everyday you have to be prepared to see some fluctuations. Log each weigh in and take an average for the week.

Personally, I weigh myself on Wednesday morning at the gym before my workout. Why? It is the day after my rest day so I have minimum water retention caused by my muscles repairing.

Whatever you decide, make sure you're consistent with timing and the scales you use. Always weigh yourself at the same time of day, ideally first thing in the morning before you eat. Some scales will give different readings (to do will calibration and how often they're used - my scales at home are really old and say I am about 4lbs lighter than what the scales in my gym say!).
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I do, and here's why:

For me, personally, the more frequently I weigh, the less emotional value I place on the number. Weighing every day has led me to better understand what my normal daily fluctuation is - and that it can be as much as 5 lbs in one day! The more I weigh, the less value I place on the scale number and the more value I put on the mirror, measurements, how clothes are fitting, how I'm feeling, etc.

Most people weigh in once a week, which I think is either too frequent or not often enough. Last week my highest weight and my lowest weight were 5 lbs apart - weighing once a week you lose touch with your daily fluctuations, but it's still frequent enough that you aren't really eliminating the problem of random noise. If I weighed in once last week, how would I know if it was on my new low or if it was the highest day that week?

My recommendation: weigh either daily or once every six weeks or so, whichever would be better for your emotional health.

+1
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and while I weigh myself every morning, I am only going to log it once a week. Like others have said, if you can mentally handle the daily fluctuations and not look at a small gain as a setback and give up.....then I think it is smart to do a daily weigh-in :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This is all about you. and its YOUR decision. I can tell you for myself that i weigh myself daily. im sure there are many who would disagree with the way I do it. But then again, we are each on our OWN journey. So do what works for you and what you can handle. Some people will get discouraged with natural every day fluctuations. Not I.

This. Exactly this!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

+1

I like to weigh everyday but you have to take it with a grain of salt because you will go up and down. THIS IS NORMAL!
  • Lcruz2014
    Lcruz2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me i like to weigh myself every day that helps me see what foods my body reacts to, sometimes too much of a good thing has the reverse affect
    the other thing i find very helpful is if you can get yourself a smart scale , i just love and hate the fact that it automactally sync with you devices always at finger tips detours me from making short cuts (lol)

Good luck with what ever you decide and remember most of us are in same boat
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do, and here's why:

This is why I weigh daily, but I agree that it really is up to you. I would try one way for a couple weeks, then switch and see which works better for you.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I weigh several times a week - but not necessarily daily (I don't want to be tied to my scale) - I only RECORD the weight on Thursday so I get the trend.

Key is consistency - weigh same time, same way each time. I wake up - go pee - come back and weigh naked (scale is on my closet floor).
  • sandyog19
    sandyog19 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks all! I just have to learn the why's of fluctuations and not let it bother me. I feel confident that I am exercising enough and eating healthy.