Pre-logging entire food day vs log at end of day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I log everything I plan on eating during my work day when I get to work in the morning, so I know where I'm at with my macros. Then depending what the numbers are, I plan dinner accordingly. I usually test log what I plan to cook for dinner to see where it would land me, and adjust accordingly. I used to just log as I went, but I went over more often than not because I wouldn't leave enough room for the evening!
  • ewelch03
    ewelch03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the same, log what I can and if I know what's for dinner, I will add that in too. This lets me know if I can sneak in that extra bite size snickers or if I have to walk the dog before I get my treat!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps me stick with my plan. I don't always do it, but when I do, I am more successful at staying under. A couple of days ago, decided to try to stick to my macros and found that I generally don't eat enough protein. So, for example, today I added a protein bar at the end of my day to achieve that goal.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I prelog and make adjustments as needed. It helps me know what's in my calorie allotment. I can substitute one thing for another if I know they are similar in caloric content. Then I make fewer decisions while hungry (which is always bad for me).

I sit down the night before and decide what sounds yummy and try to work it into the plan somehow. :)
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    pre-log...so I know what I can have to snack...
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging first thing ever morning allows me to not only plan my day, but to carefully monitor my calories. It helps me with will-power to not grab that one more snack bar at night because I've run out of "calorie credits" so I can't afford it.

I feel like if I logged after, I'd run over my calories every day, and have less control over my intake.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I pre log and adjust as I go
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. When I don't, I end up saying, "It was THAT many calories? I didn't know if had THAT much sodium!" Plus when I pre-log, my losses are far more steady.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Smarter to save a suprise or event that may creep during your day,

why have to turn down a suprise outting, when you reasonably can eat every couple hours and eat as you go and log...

I think it makes life less stressful, to me, pre logging sets me up to fail and sets the tone of that day,... i like flexibility.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find it waaaaaaaaaaaay easier to stay at/under my calorie allowance if I pre-log and it means I can work out what I can fit in as snacks and how much of a treat I can allow mysely after I've logged my 3 meals.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I usually decide what we'll have for dinner a day in advance (so I can thaw out meat etc.) I'll pre-log my dinner and then pack my breakfast and lunch and dinner accordingly. I pre-log my breakfast and lunch as I pack it in my bag for work, so things are getting logged the night before. I leave some extra calories for little snacks that I might end up eating during the day (i.e. someone brings in a fruit tray to the staff room)
    On the weekends dinner is still logged in advance, but breakfast/lunch/snacks get logged on the fly.
    Weekdays where everything is pre-logged are SO much easier for me than logging on the fly. I NEVER log everything at the end of the day. It's too easy to forget stuff you ate, and I'd hate to get to the end of the day, log my stuff and realize I was way over my goal because I didn't know the calorie counts of things I ate.
  • CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I need to Pre-Log or Pre-Plan for the same reason as most of you, to ensure I am sticking to my plan for calories and protien as well as helping me to decided what my meals and snacks for the day will be instead of just grabbing and figuring it out later and being over. I do go back and adjust as needed the end of the day or the next day if I alter anything.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I typically pre-log about 50%-80% of my calories, but I like to keep a reserve for snacks or booze options with dinner.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I eat as I log........ like right before I sit down to eat my food, I'll log everything that's on my plate.... so I log several times throughout the day so I can keep track of calories without having to do the math in my head.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Smarter to save a suprise or event that may creep during your day,

why have to turn down a suprise outting, when you reasonably can eat every couple hours and eat as you go and log...

I think it makes life less stressful, to me, pre logging sets me up to fail and sets the tone of that day,... i like flexibility.

I feel the same way you feel......... pre-logging is not realistic... like ....there's so many situations where you'll be caught off guard...a friend might invite you for drinks or dinner..... your roomate may bring home some cookies. I like to pace myself throughout the day. I always save at least 600 or 700 of my calories for dinnertime, that way if I end up going out I can look up the food at the restaurant or wherever and make sure its in accordance with my goals for the day.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a lot of my food. I generally eat the same breakfast during the week so its easy just to keep copying it forward and I bring my own lunch and snacks to work do I prelog them as well. Sometimes I pre-log dinner to see what the calories are but if not I do that at the end of the day. The most important thing is reviewing it at the end to ensure you havent missed anything
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log just to avoid any surprises. Once I eat lunch I will put in what I am having for dinner and play around with the portion sizes to make sure I either eat enough or I don't overdo it.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I log right before or after a meal. I think, like some other posters suggested, that I might pre log in the maintenance phase. Apparently it helps with discipline and reconsidering extra treats.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You can't plan if you're doing it after the fact. Pre-logging lets me make little adjustments, i.e. adding a little more protein or fiber or cutting a couple calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Generally I'll plan out my evening meals by midday. And I make changes as necessary. I use the phone app so that's very easy to do.