personal trainer question

Options
I am thinking about getting a personal trainer for maybe 3-5 sessions to work with my 18 yo son.

My son is not overweight, but he hasn't ever really worked out consistently until recently. When I got on MFP in early January and started losing weight and working out regularly, I encouraged my son to do the same and he actually started doing it!!!!!

He has lost about 10 pounds - he is 6 feet tall and now 185 pounds (down from about 195 pounds), so was not overweight, but could stand to trim down a bit. He wants to lose about 10 more pounds, which will make him on the trim size for his height.

He also has been doing elliptical and abs and some weights that we have in our basement.

The reason I was thinking about this is that while he is showing an interest in fitness I would like him to learn it the right way. How to do abs with proper form, weights, etc.

I don't really feel the need for this training for myself because I went to a lot of aerobic and fitness classes when I was in my 20s, 30s and early 40s and I learned a lot about form and such from those classes.

I don't think my son knows much at all. He didn't even take PE in high school because he took ROTC instead. He also didn't do any competitive sports in high school.

He is quite strong, but of course he's 18, so that won't last forever if he doesn't work at it.

When I mentioned the possibility of a PT to him, at first he said he didn't need it and then he came back later and told me that he really would like to do a PT because he wants to learn more. He also is interested in "six pack abs," ha ha.

I feel like this would be an investment in his health and that would be important and that's why I'm willing to do it.

I know there are some things my DH and I could teach him from our own fitness experience, but I really think it might be taken better by him and more useful if it comes from someone else. Anyone who has teenagers might understand this -- sometimes they listen to others more than their parents.

The thing is, if I do this, do you have any suggestions on what we should ask the trainer to do?

I don't want to waste this. Do you think there would be a benefit from having him do this, and if so, how do you think you would approach the training sessions (in terms of what we tell the PT we would like to do.)

I've already checked with the YMCA that we are members of and they have trainers and they have package deals, etc.

I was thinking 3 to 5 one-hour sessions would be enough to get him started, but I'm open to ideas since I have never used a trainer.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If your son is game, it sounds like a great plan.

Ask your son what HIS goals are and then set him free with the trainer. I think the best use of the time would be to learn proper form on the major lifts - squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press - and set up a lifting program that matches your son's goals and lifestyle. Could be that your son wants something different - maybe to begin training for a marathon or some other fitness related goal.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it. Finding a GOOD trainer (which is key) that can teach him proper form when lifting will be worth it's weight in gold. Your son needs to decide what his goals are - training for a sport he does, weight lifting form, etc. and make sure the trainer knows this from the start and doesn't try to talk you/your son into something else.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with the above comments!

Don't settle with the first trainer you meet
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it. My son started training with a trainer when he was 11, believe it or not. He was doing olympic weight lifting and competed all through high school and consistently medaled at school age nationals. He still has a love for the sport and for weight lifting. I take him with me to all my training sessions when he is home from school.

I also recommend that your son work with a trainer because he won't want to hear corrections about form from his parents. Trust me, I know this. I was a certified ACSM trainer for a while and my son wouldn't listen to anything I said. But, he loved going to his trainer. I agree, your son should learn proper form, how to develop a program for himself and who knows, if you get a good trainer who knows biomechanics really well, he will definitely learn the why behind each exercise - why is form important, what happens to an exercise when form is bad...like if you move your elbows back and forth doing bicep curls, you are basically doing a shoulder exercise and not really working the biceps as hard as they should be worked.. That kind of information is invaluable so you don't waste your time in the gymj!

Good luck!