Cardio VS LIfting

Options
Just wanted everyone's opinion on best option for fat loss and building muscle, simultaneously.

Replies

• pakmann28
    pakmann28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to be toned with muscle definition then weight lifting should definitely be apart of your workout routine. (My opinion) I would train each body part once a week and train which body part you want to stand out the most twice a week. As far as cardio goes, i would do HITT cardio after weight training everyday for best results.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Neither, unless you eat smart.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat and build muscle simultaneously, combine the two in your workouts. Strength training is necessary to build and tone muscle, and cardio will help shed excess fat. I've found that circuit training that combines the two together is really effective. Good luck :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Both have been working great for me.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    both are really good! But honestly I think whatever you love doing more, you should engage it in more. For me, I love love love cardio so I definitely engage in more cardio time, but I love lifting too, so I take time in my workout for my lifting/weight session. The more you love it, the better you'll be at it and then results come from that. So I'd say do more of what you love doing (cardio or weights) and then follow that with what you least like doing
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well to build muscle and lose fat together takes a lot of attention to detail on your food...macros have to be set just right and you have to adhere to these macros everyday...

It's hard...

To lose fat you need a deficet
    To build muscle you really need a surplus and a progressive load lifting program...

But

If you lift while losing fat and get in enough protien (1g per lb of lean body mass) you will preserve the muscle you have while losing the fat...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cardio is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system...strength training is for your muscular and skeletal system. I will never understand why so many people think it's a question of opposition...(i.e. cardio VS lifting)...a well rounded fitness regimen is going to incorporate elements of both because both are very important.

In RE to shedding fat, that's primarily your diet. Also, you can't really shed fat and build muscle at the same time...you can re-comp, but that is an extraordinarily slow process which has its merits if you have a lot of patience and aren't looking to build any considerable muscle and are willing to lose BF at a very slow rate...like 1-2% or so over the course of a year.

This is why many people go on cutting and bulking cycles. Building muscle requires you to be anabolic...i.e. consuming a surplus of energy (just like getting fat requires you to be consuming an excess of energy). Losing fat requires you to be in a deficit of energy thus necessitating dipping into fat stores to make up the difference. You can't really be catabolic and anabolic at the same time.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just wanted everyone's opinion on best option for fat loss and building muscle, simultaneously.

It is hard to do both simultaneously. Your body doesn't work that way. What you can do is weights (resistance training) to get stronger and preserve the muscle you do have while losing the fat. To actually gain significant muscle mass, you need to be in a calorie surplus and on a progressive strength training program ("heavy lifting").

The way I look at it (in order of importance):

1. To lose weight, have a reasonable deficit - don't cut back too far or you'll lose muscle as well as fat.

2. Eat nutritious food to hit macro and micronutrient goals (get enough protein: >0.8g/lb lbm). Any extra calories can go towards treats

3. Do resistance training to help preserve lean body mass (inc muscle) and be awesome.

4. Do cardio for overall health and to burn a few extra cals so you can eat more.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

It is hard to do both simultaneously. Your body doesn't work that way. What you can do is weights (resistance training) to get stronger and preserve the muscle you do have while losing the fat. To actually gain significant muscle mass, you need to be in a calorie surplus and on a progressive strength training program ("heavy lifting").

The way I look at it (in order of importance):

1. To lose weight, have a reasonable deficit - don't cut back too far or you'll lose muscle as well as fat.

2. Eat nutritious food to hit macro and micronutrient goals (get enough protein: >0.8g/lb lbm). Any extra calories can go towards treats

3. Do resistance training to help preserve lean body mass (inc muscle) and be awesome.

4. Do cardio for overall health and to burn a few extra cals so you can eat more.

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif