Brown Rice Questions

Hubby and I just gag on plain brown rice. What can I do to make it more palatable? Any brands you recommend? He will not eat 'crunchy' rice at all.

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    I use uncle bens and rather than cooking it I just leave it in the water for a few hours so it fully rehydrates - add a stock cube - warm in the microwave
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Quick and easy: Uncle Ben's brown rice in the pouches for the microwave. 90 seconds and it comes out just fine.

I sometimes add garlic granuals and a little butter, or if it's for chinese food, a little soy, garlic, and a tiny bit of rice wine vinegar.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    My son hates crunchy rice too - I buy Diamond G California brown rice. It's good on macros and texture, and a medium grain I believe.

Prepare it with part chicken/vegetable stock if you want to infuse more flavor, also add capers, pine nuts, etc.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Quick and easy: Uncle Ben's brown rice in the pouches for the microwave. 90 seconds and it comes out just fine.

I sometimes add garlic granuals and a little butter, or if it's for chinese food, a little soy, garlic, and a tiny bit of rice wine vinegar.

Those are just great. I love them when I'm in a time crunch (having one tonight - jasmine!)
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    I second the Uncle Ben's pouches. I like the brown and wild mix. Brown rice isn't my favorite either but when I have time, i make a scratch pilaf that is a cup of brown rice, cook a few and a half cup of black rice, cook a bit more then a half cup of lentils. Liquid is chicken or vegetable broth and I saute some onions and celery in olive oil in the pan first. The combo is really good.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    I use the Aldi Fit&Active Instant Brown Rice and cook it with low sodium chicken broth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    if it's crunchy, you're cooking it wrong. brown rice requires more cooking liquid and a longer cooking time...I generally use 1.25 cups of liquid to 1/2 cup of brown rice. It also cooks best to bring it to a boil and then reduce the temperature to low heat so it just simmers. It takes much longer to cook than white rice.

I usually toast my brown rice in some coconut oil and throw in some onion as well and then cook it in chicken stock. I also prefer long grain...as for brands, I have no idea...I just buy whatever is in the bulk section of my super market.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member

Those are just great. I love them when I'm in a time crunch (having one tonight - jasmine!)

Aren't they?! I like adding sauted veggies, like onion, bell pepper, black beans to mine too, to cut back a bit on the carb load (I'm diabetic).
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    If it's crunchy, cook it longer! I've never paid much attention to the brand I buy, I've even gotten generic Dollar General brown rice before, and it's never been crunchy unless it was undercooked. It is firmer than white rice, sure, but not crunchy.

It is, however, very bland in flavor. I know a lot of people cook it with 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth (low sodium is best) or just drop a chicken bullion cube into the water. You could also add spices - garlic would be good, or some soy sauce (again, low sodium). We usually just make sure we're eating it with something flavorful on top. Tonight we're having honey chicken kabobs with pineapple cooked on the grill on a bed of brown rice. I doubt I'll even add the bullion cube (too much sodium!). Brown rice is also great when making rice and beans or any "soupy" recipe like beef stew or crock pot chicken.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Cook it in chicken or vegetable broth in a 2:1 ratio. For 1-2 cups, it should cook for at least 30 minutes - if all the liquid isn't absorbed, cook it longer. There should definitely be no crunch. Also, adding your seasonings in when you first add the rice to liquid will make it more flavorful.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    I buy HIdan's brown rice or something along that line. I only can find it in the Asian section of grocery stores. The key to perfect, palatable brown rice, in my opinion, is water balance and correct portions of rice to the water. Firm rice is usually thirty minutes then drained, but cook longer for softer rice. To help make it easier to eat try cooking it with a bit of a stock cube or some butter and salt, just a tiny bit of salt, it will make a difference. Or even throw in some bay leaves or other dry spices you like to cook with. It adds flavor and makes the rice suitable to any meal.

I prefer brown rice over white rice now. I tried it when I "tried" to be a vegetarian. I loved it so much more and it's more carb friendly for my mother who lives by atkin's when she can as that's the only way of eating that works for her because of her thyroid.

One night I did brown rice and topped it with sesame ginger chicken slices. It was yummy because of the sesame ginger sauce, which helped the rice have more flavor.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. Honestly though for me it tastes pretty similar to white rice. I use it in stir fries, with chicken when I make sweet and sour chicken and stuffed peppers mostly.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    trader joes frozen microwaveable brown rice is BOMB with a little soy sauce. mmmmmm
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    I'm making it as I write!! 2 cups of chicken stock to 1 cup of brown rice. Cook on simmer for 38 minutes or until you see little holes in the bottom of the pan. Turn off the stove and leave it for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, saute onions and clean out the fridge of any veggies, and saute those as well. Dump in the rice, and brown on the bottom, and add Tamari(soy sauce but better) and pepper. I ate this with beans all the way through college! Good luck-it's so good for you!
  • Twigglete
    Twigglete Posts: 4 Member
    Make a risotto with it. Add some stock and let it reduce, and then add some chicken and asparagus and frozen garden peas.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Cooking rice isn't an exact science. If it is still crunchy, just add more water, turn the heat up for a min, then turn it down to low, and cover til it is done.