PX90 & Insanity

Options
kmash32
kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
I hear a lot of people talking about these two programs and the results they are getting. I was thinking about doing one of them and have two questions:

1) How much space do you need to exercise in as I have a fairly small condo?
2) Exactly how intense is it? Can you sort of go at your own pace? I have a heart condition that can cause limit how intense my cardio is.

I would really like to find something to do besides working out on the treadmill or elliptical in my condo's gym for cardio.

Thanks

Replies

• kmash32
    Options
    bump
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have Insanity, and it is pretty intense to start, in my opinion. Not in the best of shape! I was able to do it in a fairly small living room without having to move any furniture or anything, I think my area run is about 5X7 and I stayed on that for the most part. There are a few moves that require a bit more room, but for the most part it works!
  • kmash32
    Options
    I have Insanity, and it is pretty intense to start, in my opinion. Not in the best of shape! I was able to do it in a fairly small living room without having to move any furniture or anything, I think my area run is about 5X7 and I stayed on that for the most part. There are a few moves that require a bit more room, but for the most part it works!

Thx, I am not in the best of shape either right now which is why I am asking (don't want to waste my money)
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with Tony Horton's (p90x dude) 10 minute trainers. If you are not in at least a regular exercise routine I never suggest hopping straight into p90x or insanity both are intense and you have a better chance of sticking with it if you work up to it.

The ten minute trainers are fantastic because you can start with 10 minutes and then add more when you get bored. They are ten minute workouts that require no equipment, and focus on different body parts. When you feel like those are too easy start p90x. :)
  • kmash32
    Options
    I would suggest starting with Tony Horton's (p90x dude) 10 minute trainers. If you are not in at least a regular exercise routine I never suggest hopping straight into p90x or insanity both are intense and you have a better chance of sticking with it if you work up to it.

The ten minute trainers are fantastic because you can start with 10 minutes and then add more when you get bored. They are ten minute workouts that require no equipment, and focus on different body parts. When you feel like those are too easy start p90x. :)

Thanks this sounds like a good suggestion. I didn't know they existed.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Definitely P90X.......Insanity, or programs that involve explosive plyometric movements, have really shredded the hell out of my knees. There's really no such thing as "modifying" Insanity, only going slower.......and if you're going slower in Insanity, it's kind of boring.

Aside from the Plyo X workout, there really isn't anything that's abusive to my lower extremities.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    And there is the just the P90 Program which is easier than P90X. Maybe move to that from the 10 minute trainers.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Thanks this sounds like a good suggestion. I didn't know they existed.
    You should search around for beginners programs on youtube. theres a ton of fitness channels that cater to every different level (Jillian Michaels; fitness blender). You can see if the intensity level suits your fitness

If youre just starting out, avoid programs with the words "insanity" and "extreme" in the title!
  • lbrumsey
    lbrumsey Posts: 19
    Options
    If you have a heart condition, I would definitely NOT recommend Insanity. They highly recommend getting a doctor's permission on this one, and it's for good reason. This one pushes your heart rate just as high as a person can go, and if you have extra limits, that's probably not the one for you. I agree with whoever suggested Jillian's workouts. She's really good about providing options for different fitness levels. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose! (c: