MFP Calorie Goal or BMR?

Options
MFP sets my goal to be 1200 calories and I can do that no problem, in fact I've lost the desire to eat, but I've been fluctuating around the same weight for about a month now. However, I read that you aren't supposed to eat under your BMR which is 1,311 for me. So what goal should I set for myself? Will eating more calories actually speed up my weight loss?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your goal should always be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight. So try 1,400 for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your goal should always be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight. So try 1,400 for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This!^

The number 1200 is MFP's lowest default value, not a declaration of what's good for your height, weight, age. BMR is tailored to your stats.

The Sexypants thread is so informative.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP is only giving you your calorie goal based on what you input...my guess would be that you said you were sedentary (are you really?) and that you wanted to lose 2 Lbs per week which may not sound like a lot, but it is a very aggressive weight loss goal. Also keep in mind that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories when you are using the MFP method, as exercise is not accounted for in your activity level...just your day to day work, cleaning, cooking, etc.

With about 30 lbs left to go, I wouldn't go any more aggressive than 1 Lb per week. Also keep in mind that you BMR may be a bit lower than that depending on what formula you used...for a most accurate estimate of BMR you would want to use a formula that only considers your LBM in the equation as fat does not need to be fueled.
  • missionprobable
    missionprobable Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It was set the sedentary.. which I would think I mostly am. The only exercise I feel I put in is ones that I will record on here. I did up it to lightly active though and it still recommends the same amount. I want to lose the 2 lbs per week though :(
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It was set the sedentary.. which I would think I mostly am. The only exercise I feel I put in is ones that I will record on here. I did up it to lightly active though and it still recommends the same amount. I want to lose the 2 lbs per week though :(

2lbs per week is too aggressive for you. That setting is meant for people with a lot of weight to lose (75-100lbs). You should re-evaluate your goals and set it to .5lbs per week. It will help out in the long run.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options

2lbs a week is too aggressive of a goal for the amount of weight you are trying to lose. Setting it to .5lbs-1lbs would be more realistic.
  • chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Personally, the best and easiest advise is to eat 100 calories more than your BMR, and then do not eat back exercise calories. So eating at 1411 ensures that your body is getting enough food and nutrients it needs to maintain normal function. Then any calories you spend on exercise is what you will lose. I agree that you dont want to eat under BMR unless youre severely obese and a doctor recommends it. You look fairly thin to me, think about what your goal is. Many girls want to look more firm and have skin tight..that means you need to lift weights or do some resistance training! Build up your muscles!!! Muscle burns fat faster! The more you have, they better you'll look naked! And contrary to sometimes popular belief, you wont look like a body builder.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Personally, the best and easiest advise is to eat 100 calories more than your BMR, and then do not eat back exercise calories. So eating at 1411 ensures that your body is getting enough food and nutrients it needs to maintain normal function. Then any calories you spend on exercise is what you will lose. I agree that you dont want to eat under BMR unless youre severely obese and a doctor recommends it. You look fairly thin to me, think about what your goal is. Many girls want to look more firm and have skin tight..that means you need to lift weights or do some resistance training! Build up your muscles!!! Muscle burns fat faster! The more you have, they better you'll look naked! And contrary to sometimes popular belief, you wont look like a body builder.

You understand that you can do all the strength training in the world, but if you're only eating 100 calories above BMR you aren't going to build any muscle at all.....right? And if you're only eating 100 calories over BMR, with only a little bit of exercise you'll be back netting below it...