Sprint Triathlon and bike

So... last year one of my coworkers was trying to sell me on doing sprint triathlon. I thought the idea was kinda cool. But, my questions are this:

#1 - do you have to have a special kinda bike?
#2 - if I'm not super fast at swimming, biking or running, is it more for the experience than time?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I do a number of local triathlons and you see people riding everything from very affordable mountain bikes, commuters, hybrids on through to $10,000 tri / Tt bikes.

For your first few triatlons ride what you already own (or, if you wanted to, check out renting a higher end bike) if you enjoy it and want to become more competitive then consider upgrading your bike (even then, keep an eye out for something used.....a lot of people upgrade equipment frequently and if you're patient you can find some real deals)

Like any other race the vast majority of participants are there for their own enjoyment, some fast, some not so fast - your goal the first time 'round is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face (and your friends will all be awestruck because you'll be a triathlete!)
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    your goal the first time 'round is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face (and your friends will all be awestruck because you'll be a triathlete!)

I love that :)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Start with a try-a-tri.

You can ride anything with two wheels! The try's are for experience and fun.

When you start sprint tri's usually those are people who have road bikes and are in it for time, from my experiences racing in triathlon's.

For my first tri I joined a swim team to learn how to swim...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    # 1 - no you don't have to have a special bike. People do it with all types. A tri bike is best (but costly and not necessary for someone just starting out, especially if you don't know if you will continue to do this). A road bike is nice. A mountain bike is fine, but I would suggest switching out the tires from the knobby tires to road ones (I did this with an old bike when I started biking again, I use a road bike for races now).

#2 - My first race I was overweight and out of shape. i had just learned to properly swim a few months before. I was a weak swimmer, slow runner and ok cyclist. I did it for the experience. The good thing is, the next year I took 20 minutes off my time at the same race, and it's been going down since.
    I was DFL the first time but there were less than 100 people racing. :laugh:

I say go for it.

ETA- no one had responded yet when I started typing but I got distracted. haha.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    You can to the try-a-tri. I thought about it for my first race but one of the experienced triathletes in my club told me to go for the sprint distance and I was glad I did.

If you can find a swim club, its great. That's how I ended up here. WE also have a fantastic tri club here, check for one in your area.
    your goal the first time 'round is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face (and your friends will all be awestruck because you'll be a triathlete!)
    I love this as well.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    the next year I took 20 minutes off my time at the same race, and it's been going down since.
    I was DFL the first time but there were less than 100 people racing. :laugh:

That's awesome ;)
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    I did my first 2 Sprint Triathlons last year and I can tell you that you will be hooked once you do one. It is amazing.

-You do not need a special bike. My bike is almost 30 years old and I had no problem using my bike. Though I am looking to get a better bike now.

- You don't have to be fast. My biggest recommendation though is to TRAIN. I had a 10 week schedule for training and it helped a lot. Don't take any of the events lightly you need to swim, bike and run for training. One tri I did ocean swimming, the other bay swimming- it is quite different than swimming in a pool. The thing that amazed me about the sprint tri's is the amount of people who looked out of shape or really heavy and they were there so I realized with some training I could definitely do it.

Train properly and Go for it!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    The first thing is the swim. Make sure you can cover the distance. Not just in a pool but in open water assuming that is where the triathlon is held. Most people that aren't swimmers think they are decent swimmers until they have to swim a quarter mile in open water with a bunch if other people around them.

Any bike will do so long as it's safe. You'll need a helmet as most races require them. If the race is nearby I'd get out for some rides on the course as it will give you an idea what to expect.

I did my first triathlon last summer and am totally hooked. The swimming cycling and running have me in great shape and I've met some really good people.
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    I signed up for my first in Sept and I will be using my road bike.
  • lealorali
    lealorali Posts: 22 Member
    I am a runner and will be doing my first sprint triathlon in June! I talked to my local tri club people and they said anything goes for sprint-tris. Nice road bikes honestly just make it easier for you as they as so light and responsive. they say they see regular bikes all the time. I will be using my diamondback hybrid bike haha!

Make sure you are doing BRIC's- T1 and T2 transitions. The events in a spring tri are not exhaustive but together, running after biking 10 miles, for example, can be VERY tough! Lots of BRIC's!
    I have been writing about triathlons for newbies here: http://leahloudly.com/