First Time Excercising In Forever!

Options
Hi, I am 20 years old and have not really done any exercise since i was about 14. Ive joined the gym but I will be running/jogging about 5pmh for about 2minutes and get completely out of breath, I was wondering if this is normal for beginners? I will sit down for a few seconds afterwards and feel fine again but I am just constantly getting out of breath really fast and quickly and its really annoying!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    That's normal. It's going to take some time and some long, slow miles to build your endurance up. You'll get there.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    check out some programs that have you run for a minute, walk for a minute, etc... and help you build up your endurance
  • chankanaab07
    chankanaab07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Been there, and it's totally normal! You'll be amazed at how quickly your body adapts as you continue to push it. :)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The other thing I found when I first started running was that it helped at least sometimes to run as slow as I needed to to go a long ways. I ran outside, but I got where I could go a mile in about 15 minutes, which felt really encouraging. Hey, I'd run a mile!! It was ok that a fast walker would have passed me. From there I could go farther and faster. I'm still slow, but I can run a long ways. It also helps you realize that you can keep going a lot farther than you think when you get tired (out of breath, not so much) and that you can tune in to your breathing to set your pace. Good luck!
  • justyce13
    justyce13 Posts: 19
    Options
    It is going to take time. Start small, don't jump into running right away. I think if you start going at it to fast you will loose interest in it. You have to find something you really like to do:smile:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    If you haven't worked out in years, why are you starting with running? When I first got back into working out after a long break, I started walking and using workout DVDs geared toward beginners and the elliptical. When I built up some endurance, I tried a slow jog that lasted maybe 5 minutes. It was discouraging, but I walked a little faster and built up some more strength before trying again. Now I enjoy running, but I don't know if I would if I would have tried to force it on myself when my body wasn't ready.

My point is not to discourage you from running, but to be realistic and build a foundation first if you have not worked out in a very long time. Expecting to leap straight into running seems to be asking for an injury and making it harder on yourself than it needs to be.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, like nancybuss mentioned, check out Couch to 5K (C25K) or a similar program. I think there's even a group here a MFP for C25K.