Looking for Fiber heavy foods

Options
chmill24
chmill24 Posts: 12 Member
I am needing to increase my daily fiber intake and am looking for some good fiber heavy foods. Been trying to work more beans and fruits like apples and bananas in, but still have been coming up short on my daily recommended amount.

Would greatly appreciate any input.

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    A big ol' salad before dinner really helps, especially if you load it with low sugar fruits, like 'matoes and cukes.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    A big ol' salad before dinner really helps, especially if you load it with low sugar fruits, like 'matoes and cukes.

You must eat like 3 cucumbers to get a lot of fiber. A whole cucumber is 2grams.

Oatmeal is high in fiber. Also, cinnamon which is great in oatmeal.
  • urmysunshine74
    urmysunshine74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This site should help you greatly, I have used this when looking to get more fiber in my diet.

http://commonsensehealth.com/high-fiber-foods-list-for-a-high-fiber-diet/
  • butterfly1445
    butterfly1445 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wheat thins have a good amount of fiber, 4 or 5 grams per serving, the reduced fat ones are pretty tasty. I've replaced chips with the garden vegetable ones. Good salty snack with fiber benefits. I've also been trying to up my fiber at the recommendation of my Dr. and I am having a hard time as well. Good luck!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, most all legumes, greens (per calorie, though tough to consume a lot of), pumpkin (I like taking a can, adding some stevia and pumpkin pie spice).

Basically most fruits and vegetables, though some are better than others. Bananas are not the best fruit choice for fiber.

I'm also a big fan of Kashi Go Lean crunch, though I try to get most of my fiber from fruits and veggies every day.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    high fiber breads and tortillas, beans and lentils.

Buy dry beans, cook them in a crock pot, and put them in portion sized containers and into the freezer. Heat them in the microwave for your meals.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Definately raspberries! I also put benefiber in my hot tea.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    220.jpg
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    To add to the lists above: dates, almonds, dried apricots, prunes and figs. Chia seeds also have a decent amount of fiber.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    220.jpg

but, chemicals...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    cauliflower, avocados, broccoli are a few I like
  • abickford82
    abickford82 Posts: 207
    Options
    Carrots, oatmeal, greens are my favorites for fiber sources.
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Small rocks.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk from the bulk store.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars also have 15 grams of fiber.
  • Bobbie2466
    Bobbie2466 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thomas's light English muffins has 8 grams of fiber and Mission low carb tortillas has 13 grams of fiber.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I add milled flax seeds to practically everything -- cold cereal, hot cereal, spaghetti sauce, cookies, banana bread, and so on.

I don't used whole flax seeds because I read that the seeds can actually pass undigested, which means my body wouldn't get the benefit of the fiber.

+1 Kashi cereal
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Artichokes are in season! They're a great source of fiber. I also like to add some Metamucil to my morning smoothie (which includes berries and kale which also have a lot of fiber) to get a little extra. But I also like flax. I'll add some flax meal to my oatmeal and I like to add it when I bake. Snacking on carrots and dried figs has also helped up my fiber and I also keep some steamed broccoli and lentils around as side dishes for dinner if I'm low on my daily goal. Try to buy bread, pasta, bagels, etc that have a good amount of fiber. That's usually a good place to start.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    you can try fiber one cereal
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    flax seed. just add it to literally everything, it;'s wonderful