Questions about P90X, TRX, etc.

Options
I have P90 and P90X...What is the difference between P90X, P90X2 and P90X3? Is it just different combos of exercises? Different moves? Do you HAVE to have a pull up bar? I live in a double wide from the '70s....the walls are 1/4" thick paneling...the door frame can't handle that kind of stress.

What about TRX at home/outdoors? I've seen tutorials on how to build your own suspension training system, and there are these wood and steel pole calisthenic stations on the trail system I walk that I saw a guy set his up on...I don't know what the best fit would be for me, and a gym membership isn't an option for a few months.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I had to buy one toy under 200 bucks- a TRX would be it. can take it to a park and get an amazing work out in- and have the pull up bars there for bar work.

it's a great investment.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I had to buy one toy under 200 bucks- a TRX would be it. can take it to a park and get an amazing work out in- and have the pull up bars there for bar work.

it's a great investment.

I'm leaning towards the TRX too, since Im walking for my cardio...I heard that TRX is flexible even if you are out of shape/morbidly obese like yours truly.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell.......P90X = Long Effective Strength Workouts, P90X2 = Same length...too much damn stretching...kind of boring, P90X3 = Effective Workouts...Only 30 Minutes.

For my money, I would go P90X3.

Sorry, I have no experience with TRX.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You need a pull up bar for all of the P90X family of workouts. P90X2 is focused more on core and balance. Yoga got shrunk to an hour and you do a lot of the moves on one leg or a stability ball. It requires more equipment that P90X. P90X3 is comprised of 30 minute workouts. You still need weights or bands to do most of the workouts. T=It is much more efficient than the first two since it is 30 minutes plus a coo down. I do not think it is for the beginner or very heavy though as the modifications are limited.

I've been wanting a TRX setup, but haven't gotten around to getting one yet. It uses body weight fora workout, so if your doorway can't support a pull up bar, it won't support a TRX system.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've heard a lot of good things about TRX but don't know much about it. I think anything body weight is where its at though. if its true that setting it up is quick then that would definetly be an option.

but then your workouts will be influenced by the weather, which may not be a big deal for you, but if you live in North Dakota or something it could be a problem half the year.

I've done p90x but none of the other ones. You don't NEED a pull up bar but it would be optimal to work up to doing pull ups.

what you would need are resistance bands and some way of reliably anchoring the midpoint well above your head (you can sit on the floor) so that you can do these instead of pull ups. people in the video use this option.

I think they sell anchors you can put on top of doors, and you wont be pulling your entire body weight, so presumably the doors you have can stand up to it.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have all of the above. I love all the P90x workouts but I don't follow the plans, I just do what I feel like that day. There are a lot of options that are just like TRX but WAY cheaper. Mine is called Trainer in a Bag and I got it on Amazon for about $22. It does not require a door to use. I have mine mounted in the ceiling. It works exactly the same as the expensive TRX and I love it. I actually use it as my pull up bar for P90x. Of course it's not exactly the same movement but I'm not quite to the point where I can do all those pullups anyway.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if equipment/space is an issue insanity might be a better option.

might not be the kind of training you are interested in though.
  • sapicsr
    sapicsr Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have used TRX and Jungle Gym XT (a similar suspension system). I highly recommend the Jungle Gym xt, it is easier to put your feet into and holds them better. There are two separate straps so your arms do not hit the straps like they do on TRX. Both will give you a great work out I use mine 3 times a week and I use it in the hotel when I travel.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and it's great but long.....I am interested in P90X 3 just because it is so much shorter. I have a TRX and I have used it to train people of all sizes. It can be adjusted and modified so anyone can do the moves successfully.

P90X does require equipment and is super effective, the TRX is all you need but you really do have to plan and make up your own workouts and that can be hard for someone who is inexperienced. Even I don't like doing full body workouts on ONLY the TRX.

They are both a great investment though.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    TRX is awesome for strength training, but I honestly doubt you will get anywhere without someone to show you what to do if you have no experience. All depends on form, and it is very easy to believe you are working out while in fact you are doing nothing. It is also very easy to hurt your knees or back if you have very poor form. If you do have experience with weight training, you will be fine, if not, you will not someone to show you what to do or you could get hurt and have no results regarding strength. For a complete beginner with no past experience, I think free weights would be safer and easier to use.