Turning 50 and feeling miserable....

Options
13»

Replies

• blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here; your big key seems to be to deal with any medical depression, and then fight on from there.

I was not thrilled at reaching 50 either - but one of my ever blunt friends told me the only actual alternative I had to turning 50 was being dead, that made me feel a bit less bad.

Start simple and small to get some momentum and think long term. Also, ask yourself - in what state do you want to be at 55? And what do you need to do to get there.

I've been through similar myself (except the actual depression) so happy to chat :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I start every darn Sunday and quit by Wednesday and I don't know why. :embarassed:

Maybe you are trying to change too much at once. Try taking baby steps toward your goal. Walking is great exercise and IMO is the "gateway drug" of the exercise world. You can greatly improve fitness and stamina with walking and it often spurs the desire to do more.

Set mini-goals and meet them, then set another. You can get back to fit and bubbly, but don't expect to get there overnight.

Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I will be turning 50 in six months. I had a dream of going on a diet, and losing weight, it was a fantasy, that I kept thinking, but no really doing, because I was exhausted, depressed, and just overwhelmed. Well, I half heartedly attempted a diet in February, lost nothing in a month. That made me really confront myself, and my habits.

I am a food addict. I love food. I hate exercise. That is me. Always has been.

But, now, at my age, I am taking a critical look at my health, this is serious. People my age get diabetes, other health problems, that can for the most part, be avoided by diet and exercise. I have knee problems, and additional weight does not help.

So, you and I have a few months to make some changes, for our health. I have made three changes.

1. Take a walk at lunch
    2. No more bread, pasta, or pizza.
    3. Meat, once a week.

I have also increased vegetables and fruit. In addition, to exercising.

I have purchased plane tickets, for my dream vacation, in six months, now, it is real...and every day, I just want to be down 25 pounds for that vacation. I think sometimes, we set ourselves up for failure, by expecting to lose a lot of weight, in a short time. 25 pounds, six months. I think that is something I can do, with just a few conscious choices.

You are not alone...
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I was in exactly the same place when I turned 50. I'm 61, 50 pounds lighter and coud easily kick my 50 year old self's *kitten*.

I knew that better nutrition and exercise would help my body. What I didn't realize is what it would do for my brain. Exercise isn't a cure-all for depression, but it helps.

Hang in there. You can do this. Don't overwhelm yourself. Start small. Good luck!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know what it is like to be 50. I wish I was 50 again. I wish I had done then what I'm doing now. Make the change. Make the biggest, most bold, drastic change in your life and do it now. Make a commitment. Make it publicly.

1. Set a realistic goal. Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 20%. Don't aim for a ridiculously low number or you will fail.

2. Weigh, measure everything. If you don't have one, get a food scale immediately and use it for EVERYTHING!

3. Log your food religiously. All of it. Good, Bad or Ugly.

4. Get off your couch. Even if it means just putting on your shoes. I know what you are going through. I was on medication for years. I didn't just sit on the couch, I laid on the couch for two years. Start moving. You won't want to but think of it as medication for depression (which it is). Just do it.

5. Repeat

Before you know it, this will be the best year of your life. Good luck. Get going. Start right now!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 years behind you (turned 40) this year, but I understand what you're going through. I also struggle with anxiety and depression. Some others have posted about starting small. Some days I tell myself - "just go to the gym for 10 minutes" or "just walk around the block." Usually when I get started I feel better and can do more than I thought. :smile:

This. I have trouble getting starting with things, but once I start, I find out it's not so bad! I have to tell myself just start, if it's too much you can stop. Once I get moving, I am fine. Also I work out at home, I got a bike trainer. That way when I can exercise whenever the mood hits me, whatever the time or the weather.

Best of luck to you!
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    I wish I could thank you individually for your wonderful responses (even the tough love one).

As for my depression. I am being treated. I am taking Wellbutrin 300XL and something new called Brintellix. I am also seeing a counselor as well as a Psychiatrist.

My depression actually began in 2010 when my sister was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I believe the stress of that, my crappy relationship and my new position at work brought on the colitis. It's a different form of colitis, not nearly as severe as Crohn's or Ulcerative but can be disabling at times... usually in the evening it becomes worse so that is why I plan my exercise in the morning.

When I started feeling better in the early part of 2013, I lost my 18 year old nephew and I haven't been the same since, that is when I was put on Wellbutrin and now Brintellix. Prozac wasn't working. Cymbalta worked with the Wellbutrin but I could no longer afford it this year with my high deductible. The Affordable Care Act isn't so affordable for me.

Anyway, I don't want to ramble on. I feel really good being here in this community and I am so thankful for such wonderful and supportive people.