Strength Training Question

Options
acorsaut89
acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
Hi Everyone!

So I am about two years (or a little less) into my weight loss with working out and eating healthy. For the first year or so I was focusing mainly on cardio because I was extremely unhealthy and going right to lifting was not going to help me because I would probably cause an injury or something.

Anyways, I have been weight training for about 6 months now and I would like to know from those who were very heavy: what routine have you found works best? Right now, I am on a M W F weight and T, Sa spin schedule. I am looking for some ideas as to how best to use the time I have already scheduled to the gym.

I have been researching this and a lot of articles are talking about the split work outs (IE - M = legs, W = Arms, Back, Chest etc) and I just don't know the best way to go about this. I still have a lot to lose, even though I've come a long way, and I know many people on here have gone from 300+lbs to their own goals and I'd like to know what worked best. Was it a split, was it weight lifting more than cardio (keeping in mind that spin has been great for my legs), etc etc? Did you have high reps/set with medium weight, or almost max weight with lower reps/set and how many sets? Some places say 2 whereas other articles say 6. I don't believe I am looking for hypertrophy because from what I have read this is for body building & figure competitors, although maybe that's misunderstanding?

Any info you can share is greatly appreciated because I know I won't get bulky, granted I have some solid, solid legs now and I love them, I just need to keep going to help burn all the fat! My problem areas (as of now) are my back, my arms and my "pouch" which is what I have called the area under my belly button.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong doing a full-body strength workout every 2-4 days. It's best to follow an established program, instead of creating your own. A good program answers all the questions regarding sets, reps, which exercises to do, proper form, progressions, etc. I'd go with either New Rules of Lifting or Stronglifts - they have helped lots of people. Don't modify the program to target your fatty areas. We can't choose where we lose.