Your Favorite Weightlifting Exercise/Least Favorite

Options

Replies

• Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are probably tops for me. To really look strong you've got to develop your back and deadlifts are great for that.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Favorite and yielded best overall results...definitely deads. Haven't used a straight bar in several years though, got sick of having bleeding shins all the time. Switched to a hex bar...very nice, easier on the bicep tendons too.

Couple other exercises I've modified and had great results:

Modified pulldown with D rings and a short Y chain connecting them.
    Lean forward so when your arms are fully extended overhead you feel a good stretch in your lats. As you pulldown pull the D rings apart and draw your elbows back as far as possible, squeeze shoulder blades together, and hold for a split second. Slowly let the cable back up to full stretch of the lats. Supersetting this exercise with close grip bench presses is a favorite, whole upper body is pumped after a few sets.

Bastardized low cable upright row with D rings and a short Y chain connecting them.
    Pull the D rings up and apart as you extend your elbows to the side. Don't have to go too high, not like a regular upright row, so no risk of shoulder impingement. At failure you can get a few extra cheat reps by letting your traps assist to shrug the weight up. Shoulder won't let me do regular wide grip upright rows but I can do these relatively pain free and they really hit the side delts.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Favorites: Squats, deadlifts and lunges
    Least Favorite: dumbbell presses, wide grip lat pulldowns
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Deadlift

Least Favorite: Back Squats
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I'm not sure as far as noticeable improvement, but I love doing deadlifts and backsquats. They make me feel so strong.

I haaate overhead anything. Snatches the most, but overhead squats are a close second.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fav....ohp
    Least...lat pulldowns
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Favorites: Deadlifts, bent over rows, and squats
    Least: hack squats and standing overhead barbell press.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I love bent over rows myself. You get almost a full body workout with that one, works your upper body and your core as you try to maintain balance.
  • DrWonga
    DrWonga Posts: 20
    Options
    Any type of bicep curls !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Love rows and squats.

Don't like doing arm exercises anymore (even though they are my best bodypart).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    favorite - deadlift

least favorite - anything abs (I never do them)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Favourite - hip thrusters
    Least favourite - any single leg exercise like Bulgarian split squats, lunges, skater squats and single leg deadlifts
    Love to hate - pull-ups
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    favorite: squats *pats booty proudly*
    least favorite: upright rows. I feel like I'm doing a variation of the funky chicken dance...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Add me to the love squats and deadlifts group. Even if I hate them in the moment, I look forward to them and love the improvements they make in my body.

Least favorite that I do is bench. Feel so seriously weak in it compared to anything lower body
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Deadlifts
    Least Favorite: Lunges

^ This
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Favorite: squats; I love all of them, regular squats with the bar, sumo squats, Bulgarian split squats. Lunges are also great.

Least favorite: deadlifts. They work great, but are so painful and difficult to do. I do better with a split grip, but it's still quite a challenge.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie: the iso-row machine is my current fave thing (b/c I can sit on my butt for a few minutes, and my form was terrible with rows with dumbbells).

Least fave is bench, b/c I'm not very good at it. Both of these answers make me seem lazy, I know.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    squats or deadlift are my favorite........ squats or deadlift are my least also, lol.... i know they do the most good, but i also know they hurt the most, lol

^^^This
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Favorite - Squats
    Least - Bench
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Deadlifts
    Least Favorite: Lunges

^this