Why do posters keep saying g in a serving

Options
Hi, can anyone tell me how to convert a "g" that is given when talking portion sizes? I need a cup or half cup etc and sometimes someone will have that measurement for that particular food as well, but more often than not it is a "g" for what I am looking for. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

That is an abbreviation for grams.

You can use google to convert to Oz or tbsp or tsp

Good luck
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale that measures ounces/grams. Until then, there are many conversion charts on the internet. What I've also found that works (before I got my food scale) is to put the measurement you're looking for after the food you're entering. For example, "raw white onion cup" and you should get some results.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Grams measure weight, cups, tbsps measure volume. There wont be ONE conversion as different foods have different weights (per unit volume) google has some common conversions, but you should probably just get a scale.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The problem is when I am eating out I can see what a cup is as in measuring chicken and broccoli but then come back to check in on my diary and find that food in a "G" so am lost on it.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Grams measure weight, cups, tbsps measure volume. There wont be ONE conversion as different foods have different weights (per unit volume) google has some common conversions, but you should probably just get a scale.

^^^this

Weight is so much more accurate than volume for solid foods.
  • deborah1096
    Options
    I just downloaded a free app on my smartphone "recipe convert free".

I hope this helps.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    The problem is when I am eating out I can see what a cup is as in measuring chicken and broccoli but then come back to check in on my diary and find that food in a "G" so am lost on it.

If you will use the food scale at home on a regular basis, then you will be able to estimate the weight of the portions when you eat out. It won't be exact, but guessing the cup isn't either.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

If you will use the food scale at home on a regular basis, then you will be able to estimate the weight of the portions when you eat out. It won't be exact, but guessing the cup isn't either.

This^^^^ if you see 170 gram (6 ounce0 Boneless Skinnless Chicken breast frequently enough you will be able to be close by looking (as a rule of thumb Chicken Supreme in restaurant (bone in Skin On maybe with the wing stub attached) will be between 7-9 ounces (198-255g) so guess on the high side to be safe because they will have used more fat than you thought for one
    Steaks are usually in the 225g range (8 ounce) unless specified elsewise
    Fish 170 gr or if it is 2 small fillet 113g ea

That's at least my experience working as a purchaser in the industry

better to overestimate a little when dining out because they do not generally cook for low calorie butter will be everywhere because it adds a flavour hit cheaply (if it's not butter it will be olive oil or a flavoured oil)
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Food scale - digital , less than 20.00
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    because gram measurement is gonna be a loooooot more accurate than tbsp/tsp/cup measurements.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m54pcryZaO1qmi0rs.gif

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Hi, can anyone tell me how to convert a "g" that is given when talking portion sizes? I need a cup or half cup etc and sometimes someone will have that measurement for that particular food as well, but more often than not it is a "g" for what I am looking for. Thanks for the help.

As someone who used to hang out with the druggie kids in high school, I learned that there are 28g in an oz. I knew that knowledge would come in handy someday.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    107562278.ziwGPo6o.jpg

Dohhh.... DOuble post!!!!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

As someone who used to hang out with the druggie kids in high school, I learned that there are 28g in an oz. I knew that knowledge would come in handy someday.

I had those nice scales with little lead weights 1,2,3,5,10,20,50 gr sizes a few of each paid for themselves many times over lol