What's with the shakes?

Options
MaiLinna
MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
The only people on my feeds, friends list, or even people I check out on the forums who hit their protein goals for the day drink protein powder drinks all day long for their meals. Is this the only way to get protein into our diets now? Meat destroys my wallet, and cheap meats are all sodium. These shakes are at least a little cheaper, coming out to about 50-90 cents a serving instead of $2.00 or more.

Is this the only answer now?

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but every other day or so, I have a protein smoothie with banana and peanut butter after my workout as a quick replenishment and easy meal for breakfast. I can't drink shakes all day long, but there are just days that I would rather throw some stuff in my blender rather than cook something to eat. Just me, though. Not really an answer, now that I look at it, sorry!
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    I drink banana and peanut butter smoothies too, but they don't have much in them. Neither does greek yogurt. 12g? You think that's a lot? You're supposed to take your lowest possible healthy weight (Mine's 112 but I doubt that, I think it's 125) and eat that many grams in protein a day. It feels impossible without these protein waters and protein shakes.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I eat 150+ grams of protein per day and don't touch protein shakes. I get it all from chicken, beef, cheese, milk, etc
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes as snacks and post-run workouts.

I need to chew my main meals.
    I ate nutritionally balanced meals but I never came close to my protein goals before I got my shakes.
  • abickford82
    abickford82 Posts: 207
    Options
    I don't do the protein thing, but I do Shakeology, and drink it for it's health benefits. Just as quick to grab a piece of fruit, but I like knowing I can have chocolate, and not totally kill my sugar intake. Plus I love all the superfoods in it. It's a win win for me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I don't do the protein thing, but I do Shakeology, and drink it for it's health benefits. Just as quick to grab a piece of fruit, but I like knowing I can have chocolate, and not totally kill my sugar intake. Plus I love all the superfoods in it. It's a win win for me.

10namaf.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I most certainly don't eat protein shakes all day long. I get most of my protein with food and supplement with a shake on lifting days in particular. I've never had more than one protein shake in a day...I'd rather eat something.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    270+ per day for me. 2 shakes but I start the morning with 10 egg whites so I get 50 right there. 2-3 chicken breasts a day. You can do it with food for that level just go to egg whites or eggs that is the cheapest way. I get mine at Costco and its pretty cheap to get them there.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit less gross and full if I drink a protein shake than if I eat the equivalent protein. Plus, they're tasty. I do use other sources but shakes are easiest for me.
  • JMoore221979
    Options

10namaf.gif

lol!!!
  • abickford82
    abickford82 Posts: 207
    Options

10namaf.gif

Oh wait, someone hates Shakeology so I'm not allowed to comment. OP didn't say: "If you drink Shakeology, don't comment". I left my opinion. You left yours. Get over yourself, dude
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    If you drink Shakeology, don't comment.

But no, seriously, what do you do with 10 egg yolks? Throw them away? I can't eat a carton of eggs a day. Not to mention I can't eat eggs at all...they make me so sick.
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    I drink protein shakes as snacks and post-run workouts.

I need to chew my main meals.
    I ate nutritionally balanced meals but I never came close to my protein goals before I got my shakes.

^ Me. Right here. I eat pretty well (I have bad days of course, but I'd rather eat a bad day then listen to the mother threaten to kick me out for a week,) but I get MAYBE 30g of protein a day when I'm aiming for 100-125g.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options

10namaf.gif

lol!!!

LOL! times2!
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Nope just buy the whites. They come in cartons. a 6 pack is like $6-7 at Costco. Each carton has roughly 10 whites. You can just throw the yolks if you want to get regular eggs. I don't like to deal with that though. You could probably find a use for some of them. In the end the entire egg won't hurt you either. Great nutrients in the yolk.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    If you don't like eggs, cottage cheese is decent or low fat yogurt. Not going to get near the amount but can definitely help. What you are going for and what I are going for are so far apart that you can probably get away with small things like that.
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    If you don't like eggs, cottage cheese is decent or low fat yogurt. Not going to get near the amount but can definitely help. What you are going for and what I are going for are so far apart that you can probably get away with small things like that.

I eat yogurt and cottage cheese, but 12 isn't adding up to 120...
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, turkey, almonds, protein bars, fish, hard boiled egg whites, greek yogurt (plain is best with your own added fruits), there's this stuff called super pasta that has 10 grams per serving, tuna fish, soybeans. There's lots of ways to get protein aside from shakes, I use them right after my workout not the whole day.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is making a big salad and adding two chicken breasts to help reach my 130g protein goal.
    Add hardboiled eggs, bacon, cheese and almost halfway there lol

Can't turn down bacon, for what!
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    Chicken breast, turkey, almonds, protein bars, fish, There's lots of ways to get protein aside from shakes, I use them right after my workout not the whole day.

Those things either cost a lot of money (I get $25 a week for food maximum) or don't give much protein. :/ I want something that will give me 60g of protein for 300 calories and it just doesn't exist outside of science and fat wallets. :/