Tips for a new runner?

Options
So I've ALWAYS hated running. I mean skipped during youth soccer and refused to play hide and seek hate running.

I want to start, I somehow signed up for all these 5ks this spring.

Any beginner tips?

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    get the right shoes for you. take it slow and go for duration. do you run at all right now?
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Start with the C25K app. It's great.
  • bohlmanwe
    bohlmanwe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was the same way about a year and a half ago and finished my first half marathon late last year. Like Prince said, find the right shoes and go at your own pace. I found that after i would hit mile 2 on every run, it would get easier. But those first 2 were always the hardest. Good luck!
  • jajsmom
    jajsmom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hated running too. I did the c25k and it really works. I ran a 5k once and would like to do more. I got pregnant but now my baby is almost 2. Usually I run a mile around my property no problem now. I did 2 miles the other day and could really feel it. Back down to a mile and hoping to work my way back up to a 5k. I just have trouble running pushing a jogging stroller so need to wait for someone to be home so I can run alone.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, warm up, cool down, stretching and water. Take care of your body and it will be nice to you.
  • liljen69
    liljen69 Posts: 45
    Options
    C25K is a great program. That's how I started too and I never exercised a day in my life until I turned 41. Now I love running!

Regarding shoes, I was surprised to learn that you should buy shoes that are 1/2 to 1 full size bigger than you normally wear. Your feet swell while running.
  • oliolioli92
    oliolioli92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im like you, running isn't my favorite, but when I do get into it (at times) I like to start from my house and just go that little bit further each time I go. I also find it a lot easier to run on my own so I can go at my own pace, I tend to panic and give up easier if I can't keep up with someone.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, take it slow (use a C25k app if possible), and make sure you have a really supportive sports bra.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't do too much too soon, even when you feel good. Finish every run thinking "I could have gone farther/faster." Leave yourself wanting more.
  • kasammons
    kasammons Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In addition to good shoes, get a good fitting bra and use wicking socks and follow a Couch to 5K program. Just stick with it and take your time. I started with a C25K program too and I now also volunteer coach for runners. Good luck.
  • deannasueknutson
    deannasueknutson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Start with the C25K app. It's great.

I agree with this. I never ran ever, but always wanted to do a 5K. C25K program is a good start. It really builds up your endurance to running further. I completed my first 5K last fall. I felt really good running the 5K. I plan on doing a few more this year as well.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't do too much too soon, even when you feel good. Finish every run thinking "I could have gone farther/faster." Leave yourself wanting more.
    ^^ This
    And good quality footwear and breathable running clothes
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. :bigsmile: Hated running - switched from basketball to volleyball in school because there was less running and I could stay on my own side of the court. Then at the age of 43, something clicked in my head and said, "try running".

So I did - I also highly recommend a c25k program. There are many online set ups and free apps out there. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs. Worked great, let me play music if I wanted to, easy to follow and use. I followed the program exactly, completed it in the allotted weeks, and by the end I was running for 30 minutes non-stop.

Two years later and I'm still running and enjoying it. I have run several 5k races and did my first 10k race a few weeks ago - loved it!

Tips - much has already been said, but my tips are: c25k program, get good shoes, fitted at a running store if possible, go slow, I mean S L O W - don't worry about speed or distance with the program, just do what you need to in order to complete the time each session - and run outside if possible. And look up races in your area about 10-12 weeks out - nothing keeps you motivated to complete the c25k like having a race on the horizon. It's a great goal, and an awesome feeling to finish the program, and then cross the finish line of your first race a few weeks later. :drinker: There are a lot of 5k fun runs out there, and they always have people of all abilities, sizes, speeds - it's a great atmosphere.

Good luck!
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for C25K. I started using it last summer having not even attempted running since I was in highschool. I absolutely loved the app and it really works.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I bought a great pair of running shoes and started the couch to 5k. Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is a good one - hadn't seen it yet. Bookmarking for future sharing. :drinker: