Dieting & other concerns.

Options
First post! lol.
ok well, I just started dieting, & ive noticed that i'm running to the bathroom quite often......this diet is actually requiring me to eat MORE than I usually do. So I didnt know if that has anything to do with it?

I've been on the diet for about a week. my other concern is i've noticed the scale going UP. ive stuck to my calorie guidelines, which is 1800 a day & I even consume a little bit less at times. ugh its just irritating, would like to know anyones opinions on this!

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    First off, what diet? MFP? (don't say diet! You want this to last)
    Second, run to the bathroom to do what exactly? :huh:

One week is not enough to determine success. If you started a new fitness program it's probably water retention.
    It usually takes about 2-3 weeks (or more) to see a loss.

1,800 calories a day? Did you figure this amount out by the TDEE method?
  • brittany_
    brittany_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used the calorie thing on my account here, it says i'd need 1800 to lose 2lbs a week.
    I'm not really doing any specific diet, im just trying to stick with that guideline. running to the bathroom to crap is what I meant. lol.

I don't understand? ive been drinking water like crazy. I probably sound stupid, but im new with diets, im not a health buff at all.
    the TDEE method says I should eat 2704?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food on a food scale?

If you don't mind, open your diary so we can look at it to see if we can pinpoint some flaws.

You wouldnt necessary see weight loss yet since you just started, but gaining ... yeah maybe if you are exercising...if you aren't exercising ... you shouldnt gain.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1800 for dieting, do you exercise a LOT? That seems high.
  • brittany_
    Options
    ok i THINK i opened it...lol. im very new to this site. I am not currently exercising right now, im somewhat active at work though. I dont have a scale for food, I just put exactly what I eat in on here.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A few guesses since we can't see your diary:

1. Too much sodium in your food can cause major water retention. I was working out 5 days a week and eating 1350 calories a day and didn't drop a single pound for a month. Cut the sodium out and dropped 9 pounds in 3 days.
    2. Are you guestimating Anything at all? If so, don't. This is the biggest mistake people make. Measure liquids and weigh solids. If there is package info, measure out the exact serving sizes to be accurate.

If you could open your journal we could help more but without that we are just guessing.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I only see 2 and a half days logged. How long have you been at this? You can't expect a loss in three days.

Make sure you're measuring/weighing your food. Try not to rely on things like Slim Fast or Taco Bell. Eat real food instead.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    1800 is not too much for weight loss ... I eat 1700.

Go to www.fitnessfrog.com ... calculators .. then TDEE calculator. This will show you how many calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN. then subtract like -20% to determine how much you could eat for agressive weight loss, -15% if you want to take it slower.

If you aren't using a scale, be careful. 1 cup of cereal eyeballed or even in a measuring cup can really be like 1.5 and 100 extra calories. I suggest at least using a measuring system until you get a food scale.

Food scales are inexpensive at Walmart, Target, etc.
  • brittany_
    Options
    Yeah I just started an account a few days ago to keep track. I dont expect weight loss at 3 days. but im wondering why im GAINING & if this is something that will even out soon or if im really doing something wrong? before I started this diet, I never ate breakfast or lunch. just dinner pretty much. so I dont know if that has anything to do with it either
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Yeah I just started an account a few days ago to keep track. I dont expect weight loss at 3 days. but im wondering why im GAINING & if this is something that will even out soon or if im really doing something wrong? before I started this diet, I never ate breakfast or lunch. just dinner pretty much. so I dont know if that has anything to do with it either

Since you dont have a scale you could be eating more than you think ...

Eating a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. It's science!
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ok i THINK i opened it...lol. im very new to this site. I am not currently exercising right now, im somewhat active at work though. I dont have a scale for food, I just put exactly what I eat in on here.

What's your stats (height, age, weight, BF) by the way? I'll help you try to determine how many calories you really need to be consuming.
    No exercise at all?
    It'd help your progress if you stay consistent with your logging at least.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options

It is open now :)

So the first thing I can say is either you are not logging everything or you are not eating enough.

3/25 - 1,034 calories
    3/24 - 1,389 calories
    3/23 and back has no entries.

My suggestion is to eat the calories MFP is suggesting and no less. When I first got started I was supposed to eat 1400 calories a day and I did the 1200 calories a day. I could not drop weight so my trainer told me to eat more and when I did, the weight started falling off.

If you are not logging everything then that is part of the problem. You would be surprised how guessing doesn't work all that well.
  • brittany_
    Options
    Thanks a lot! it said 1900. i dont feel completely starved doing it this way, but im definitely not overdoing it
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Thanks a lot! it said 1900. i dont feel completely starved doing it this way, but im definitely not overdoing it

Just try to use measuring cups if you dont want to weigh .... it will be at least more accurate than your assumptions.

Give it 3-4 weeks before determining if it is working the way you are doing it.

Good luck
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options

It might take a little while of eating more regularly to kick start your metabolism.

The number one thing I can say is don't give up! You can do this. I'm sending you a friend request and we can encourage each other. Feel free to check out my diary once we are friends for food ideas :)
  • brittany_
    Options
    i admit, ive been eating less than required hoping for definite weight loss. so ill keep up to the requirement. see, im a dumbass with this stuff lol :p
  • brittany_
    Options
    I really appreciate all your input!!! Thanks a lot!!!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Keep at it for a couple of weeks and don't be afraid to drop your intake by maybe 100kcals a week until you start losing (if the amount you're on keeps you gaining).

ETA: from the 1900kcal you've been given from the calculator. Sorry, this post was misleading!
  • newtothishelp
    newtothishelp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i think
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options

Keep at it for a couple of weeks and don't be afraid to drop your intake by maybe 100kcals a week until you start losing (if the amount you're on keeps you gaining).

Please be careful with this advice. She is already eating at 1000 and 1300 a day
    3/25 - 1,034 calories
    3/24 - 1,389 calories

She is already doing what you suggest and gaining. Beyond going into doing under 1k a day I'm not sure this is a good idea. Eating more would be the key here, not less.