How to eat more veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soup! Get some of any veg you have at hand and some herbs/pepper/salt, simmer it all in a pot of stock for 30 minutes and blend. Yummy, nutritious, low cal and you get a lot of servings.

I really like Skinny Taste's Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese, and you could add cauliflower to that too.

Other than that, I just found some veg that I like and figured out how I like them cooked. I enjoy boiled carrots, peas, sweetcorn and broccoli, chopped up small and boiled together. Make dinners that you can chuck lots of veg into, for example spaghetti bolognaise, casseroles, stir fry, risotto, omlettes.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    cooked cauliflower, mix with sauteed garlic and throw in blender.. now you have "alfredo" sauce, or substitute for "cream of" soup to mix in a casserole with rice, pasta or quinoa (plus more veggies!)

Cant wait to try the substitution of the cauliflower for "cream of" soups... casseroles, here I come! Thanks for sharing.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Juice them, blend them, roast them, stir fry 'em, put them in a soup, cut 'em up and load them into my salad, or just eat them raw, or raw and dipped in no-oil hummus.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I never make a smoothie that doesn't have a big handful of spinach thrown in. Spinach is also yummy in scrambled eggs or tossed on just about any sandwich. Jicama is a great tasty replacement for tortilla chips with any dip.
    I'm also fourthing? fifthing? (I lost count) the roasting idea, though. I made a batch that covers a cookie sheet every few days. Turn the oven on really high, chop up a variety of veggies, throw them on the cookie sheet with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and a shake of salt, pepper, or whatever other spices...I love garlic, ginger, or cayenne sometimes, and pop them in the oven until they're fork-tender and just starting to get browned on the edges. Vary the veggies each time. I just finished a batch of broccoli, cauliflower, jicama, red bell pepper, zucchini and yellow squash yesterday, and immediately threw a new batch with butternut squash, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and sugar snap peas into the oven. I made seven cups, thinking it would last through the weekend...but it's been so tasty that I've eaten three cups today.
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    Liquid dinner eh?
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    cooked cauliflower, mix with sauteed garlic and throw in blender.. now you have "alfredo" sauce, or substitute for "cream of" soup to mix in a casserole with rice, pasta or quinoa (plus more veggies!)
    Wow genius!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    1) Substitute spinach for iceberg lettuce on sandwiches.
    2) Add a bit of chopped spinach to scrambled eggs.
    3) Add some canned pumpkin (PURE pumpkin.not pumpkin pie filling) to chili (I've done this with no effect on flavor)
    4) Add fiber to your brownies by adding a can of rinsed black beans pureed with a cup of water. This will replace the oil leaving you with a moist lower-cal higher-fiber brownie.
    5) You might also look for the SNEAKY CHEF book at your library and one written by Jessica Seinfeld on how to "hide" vegetables in your food using purees. I can't vouch for how good the recipes are though..we own the book but still meaning to try 'em out as I'm not good at making/freezing lots of purees in advance as the book suggests.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you need to prepare them with something different for example kale is great with garlic and olive oil. Also it is great with onions. Can make broccoli with a vinaigrette sauce by adding Italian dressing.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Cant wait to try the substitution of the cauliflower for "cream of" soups... casseroles, here I come! Thanks for sharing.

Agreed, I am pretty stoked to try this, thanks!