strength traning for weight loss

Options
BRA_S
BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
I just started loosing weight 2 weeks ago and am slowly learning things. For whatever reason I thought the main key to weight loss was cardio. But from what I've been reading strength training is just, if not more important. So how do you start off? Which is better, using your body as resistance, or using weights and machines? Do I do upper body days and lower body days, and ab days? Do I do it before or after my cardio? I just wanna hear from people who have results before I do anything to make sure I'm on the right track. And if I am wrong about anything PLEASE correct me. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've had far more success with lifting than cardio. I am much smaller at my current weight than when I was this weight before. You have to "get over" the scale though. I stalled on the scale for a full month when I started lifting. But in that time I lost over an inch and a half in just one arm! My body fat% was dropping too. I highly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. Awesome read and it will give you everything you need to start. Good luck.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The entire time I was losing weight, strength training was my focus. I DID do cardio, but I very rarely missed a strength training session.

When I started, I was 300+ pounds and did body weight work and lighter weights, primarily, in a circuit (so I went directly from one exercise to another). These were full body sessions, three times a week, 60 minutes. For instance, toward the beginning I might have done a wall sit with dumbbell curl, then a plank, then an overhead press. Three sets for 10-12 reps. As I got stronger and lost more fat, I started to incorporate heavier weights. I'd do 6-8 reps of the main lifts, 8-10 of accessory lifts. I never did machines, unless you count cables as machines. Bodyweight and dumbbells and, when I got stronger, barbells. A lot of people jump straight into heavier weights - 5-8 reps. That's definitely an option too.

I still do weights 3-4 times a week, depends on what I'm into at the time. Now I tend to split upper / lower when I can and I rarely isolate core since I figure that's covered with deadlifts, squats, and whatever else I'm doing. I still sometimes do bodyweight stuff - lunge jumps, for example. Most of the time, though, it's sets of 5-8 reps with barbells.
  • mightymousemackie
    mightymousemackie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    With strength training you burn more fat and tone everything as you go. Cardio is needed as well. Diet of coarse is key. As far as starting off do body weight first to get used to the exercises and do it as a circut meaning do an upper body then lower body an do them is circuts of 4 at 4 sets of 10. Don't be afraid of the weights and going heavier as you gain strength,you wont get all bulky lol
    I am a personal trainer and I have a few larger clients and that is how I train them
  • BRA_S
    Options
    thank you!
  • brandon_hofmann
    Options
    You can do superset training and do a chest exercise and then a back exercise to cause the stretch effect. When doing the chest you tighten the back and vice versa. When do the exercises this way you will work both sides and stretch both sides and can limit your rest time to half of normal rest for individual exercises. This way you are working both sides of the body with a focus to your workout. This will also prevent muscle imbalances. Good luck. The shorter the rest periods between exercises raises intensity, so does adding weight/resistance and adding reps.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't burn many calories. It's more about using strength training to preserve your muscle mass than using it as a means for weight loss or create calorie deficits.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    With strength training you burn more fat and tone everything as you go. Cardio is needed as well. Diet of coarse is key. As far as starting off do body weight first to get used to the exercises and do it as a circut meaning do an upper body then lower body an do them is circuts of 4 at 4 sets of 10. Don't be afraid of the weights and going heavier as you gain strength,you wont get all bulky lol
    I am a personal trainer and I have a few larger clients and that is how I train them

You burn predominantly glycogen when weight lifting, not fat.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    you can look at my pictures and judge for yourself. I've very very recently taken up free weights by myself. But for years it was body pump and cardio. That combo has gotten me this body,.
  • westendcurls
    Options
    it is what I will take to my clients. what good is strength without endurance? what good is endurance without strength? you need both!!!
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is great.... As I'm scared and getting ready to join a gym ..... Planet fitness & I know NOTHING about where to begin but I know I have to!!! 45 will be the BEST year of my life!!! Eeeeek HELP !!! Lol
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I did cardio for a long time and ate good with no real results. I started lifting in January and I've been losing inches since then. I am following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and so far I love it. I would highly recommend it for a starting program.
  • westendcurls
    Options
    This is great.... As I'm scared and getting ready to join a gym ..... Planet fitness & I know NOTHING about where to begin but I know I have to!!! 45 will be the BEST year of my life!!! Eeeeek HELP !!! Lol

Oh god anything but planet fitness!!! small privately owned gyms please!! they will take you to your next level.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

Oh god anything but planet fitness!!! small privately owned gyms please!! they will take you to your next level.

I think hell is a place where the only gym is Planet fitness.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Okay...someone break it down to me, as this is the second thread I've seen bashing PF. Is it the Walmart of gyms and being anti is the "in" thing? I think it's a great option for those who can't afford local, over priced gyms.
  • BRA_S
    Options
    I did cardio for a long time and ate good with no real results. I started lifting in January and I've been losing inches since then. I am following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and so far I love it. I would highly recommend it for a starting program.

I will definitely be checking that out =)
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found I enjoy heavy lifting much more than cardio and therefore can stick with it better. As a result I have been consistently losing inches. The lbs on the scale are moving slowly but I have more confidence in my body than I have in years and everything is tightening up nicely. I always thought I had a flat butt and that nothing would change that. To my surprise it is rounding out nicely and I have a new found arch in my lower back as well. I have only been lifting 3 months and so I am very excited to see where the future leads. I would suggest Stronglifts 5x5. There is a group and a lot of great gals here on MFP that use it. Its great and simple for beginners. Skip the machines!
  • westendcurls
    Options

Okay...someone break it down to me, as this is the second thread I've seen bashing PF. Is it the Walmart of gyms and being anti is the "in" thing? I think it's a great option for those who can't afford local, over priced gyms.

Local gyms are not over priced! Most are far cheaper than bigbox gums. Please support your locals. Planet fitness has some very strange policys. They claim to be judgement free but they will sound an air horn if you breathe too heavy. They don't allow heavy lifting. The dress code is strictly inforced. They sound pretty judgmental to me.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Strength training for body re-composition.

Find a gym with barbells, weight plates, benches, & squat racks. Then find a program you like. I started with Stronglifts 5x5. It's a basic 3-4x a week plan that will teach you compound lifts. New Rules is also good.

Start yesterday. :drinker:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Both cardio and strength training are important. The combination of both give you the results you want.
    I do strength training twice a week (weights and body residence) and cardio the other 4-5 days. I am a runner and I found that since I seriously started strength training a year ago, my body had become smaller, tighter and I am a better runner now than I was without the strength training.

I'll send you a friend request.