Canned pumpkin dilemma

Options
Hi
I just got done cleaning my cupboards and have stumbled across a lot of canned pumpkin. I buy things with an idea of a new recipe, put it away until i have time to fiddle in the kitchen, forget I bought it and buy more.

I think I had an idea for something like oatmeal pumpkin cookies. I am allergic to Dairy and soy and I am gluten intolerant. I usually look for recipes in paleo cookbooks but oatmesk is not a part of the paleo diet.

Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for pumpkin oatmeal cookies (I can make subs for milk and flour) or any other giod recipes for pumpkin ?

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I mix a serving of the canned pumpkin into some low fat cottage cheese with stevia , cinnamon and 10 raisins to make sorta a healthy version of pumpkin cheesecake... yeah just go with it lol.
  • littlelaura
    Options
    ok so you cant use dairy is there a sub for that?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-pumpkin-madness.html

You can use canned pumpkin in pretty much any of those recipes. Her Pumpkin Banana bread is really, really good. And I have made it using almond milk and it turned out fine.
  • littlelaura
    Options
    oh yup take the entire can of pumpkin puree, add cinnamon and a whole bunch of ripe bananas mashed and long cook oatmeal, mix well , place spoonfuls onto a grease cookie sheet, bake 350 for 20 minutes.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Think outside the baked goods box. Make some pumpkin soup! :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Soup, adding it to polenta, foodwishes has a pumpkin flan recipe that was awesome, gnocci, or maybe pudding or milkshakes! If you can't find a recipe to eat that you want, it's great for the skin. I make a face and body mask by adding a bit of clay to a can of pumpkin. I use it after I exfoliate and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Leaves my skin super soft and glowing. So you could always treat yourself to a spa day if you don't want to make pumpkin pie!
  • abickford82
    abickford82 Posts: 207
    Options
    Pumpkin oatmeal is my favorite. 1/2 cup of oats, a few scoops of pumpkin, stevia, and a smidge of plain greek yogurt on top.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've heard Turkey Pumpkin Chili is really good, I haven't tried it though myself. There's lots of recipes out there for it.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pancakes are the reason I haven't yet lost faith in the world.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    In for the recipes ;) mmmmm!!
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but it is awesome mixed into tomato sauce. And I love baked oatmeal with pumpkin. Or just regular oatmeal, but you need to be accustomed to the flavor.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    These are all awesome ideas! I went to a restaurant once that served a pumpkin dipping sauce for their sweet potato fries. ...it tasted like liquid pumpkin pie....it was sooo good!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cookie recipe, but man canned pumpkin use to be THE go to food in my house for a bunch of sweets addicts who needed something rich, hearty, that could be sweetened and enjoyed without a hefty calorie load.

Candied yams with a brown sugar and pecan topping is one of my favorite dishes, but it's usually a holiday only tradition and I make them with an obscene amount of fat and sugar. Taking some canned pumpkin and cooking it with a little cream or milk, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, equal, and a dash of pepper, created the best candied yam substitute I've ever had.

It's so versatile and there is just so much you can do with it.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I made a "diet" version of these Molasses cookies with pumpkin

http://robinheather.typepad.com/go/2007/10/middle-of-the-n.html

Exclude the egg and replace the butter with a half cup of canned pumpkin. I think I replaced the sugar with baking Splenda, too.

The normal recipe is a lot like the Archway molasses cookies. The pumpkin version are far denser and don't spread. They remind me of some cookies I used to get at christmas time, which was still really good. Next time I make them, I'll add the egg back and replace only half the butter and see if they land somewhere between the two.

I've also made Sugar-free pumpkin spice syrup which was pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to fiddle with the recipe. Not the kind of thing you bust open a whole can for since it doesn't keep very long, but I like it for coffee and smoothies. It's also nice in hot milk or chai for a dessert. http://www.anediblemosaic.com/?p=10557
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Smoothies

Either hot or cold depending on the season.

Hot ginger tea, pumpkin puree, protein, - I like banana flavored, spinach or kale, pumpkin pie spice

Almond milk , frozen banana, protein powder, pumpkin, spinach or kale, pumpkin pie spice.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do you have a yonanas machine? The recipe book has a pumpkin pie recipe. It is pretty good, I also add no fat whip cream.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pancakes are the reason I haven't yet lost faith in the world.

YES! Chocolate Covered Katie's pumpkin pancakes are the best ever!!!! I eat them 3-4 times a week for breakfast..and sometimes for dinner too! :)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Edit, sorry, now remembered the allergic to soy/dairy.

Sorry!
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Make a coffee creamer. Can either cook up milk and sugar to taste or mix some sweetened condensed milk and evaporated/whole milk or cream. Stick some pumpkin in it, pumpkin spice, vanilla and whiz it in you blender to make it ultra smooth. I don't measure anything, lol. Just do it all to taste and you'll be fine. :)

If you don't drink coffee, can use it in homemade eggnog. Cook up some milk and egg with the creamer (or just add pumpkin and skip the creamer, add sweetener to taste). Roughly 1 - 1.5 cups milk for 1 egg. The cooked egg makes it nice and thick.
    Some seasonings I add to my egg nog: cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves; depending on how spiced I want it.
    Gosh, now I want some! :D

Edit: Allergic to dairy. Ok, so can substitute milk of choice (almond, rice, or coconut). Personally I'd totally go for the coconut milk. Canned for the lovely texture and flavor. :D