Determining "lightly active" or "active"?

Options
When trying to determine how many calories I should be eating to lose one lb. a week (and adding in exercise 4x/week for 40 minutes each time), if I choose "lightly active", I should net 1,390 calories. If I choose "active", I should net 1,660. What would exercise 4x/week for 40 minutes each time be considered?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Lightly Active
  • MikesGirl0692
    Options
    Darn. Lol

(what would be considered "active" then)?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What does the rest of your day/week look like?
  • Watermelon398
    Watermelon398 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lightly active I'd say.
  • MikesGirl0692
    Options
    I have an online business and spend a good amount of time in front of the computer. :-/ On weekends, my husband, kids and I take long walks (3-5 miles)...but it isn't consistent, where the 4x/week on my own is.
  • Watermelon398
    Options
    Idk what defines active, but I think I am. I do a p90x DVD (to the best of my ability) in the am, walk briskly for 30 minutes at lunch, and hit up the gym for about 45 minutes of cardio (elliptical or bike) and 20 of strength training after work. And I swim as much and far as I can on Saturday and Sunday (usually about 45-60 min). And I'll do the p90x stretchy if I can muster in.

And let me tell you, I fall into bed exhausted every night. In fact, I think I'll go conk out now.

I think 4x a week for 40 minutes is a great job. That's the perfectly doctor recommended amount I've always heard. Great job getting that routine down! Eventually, if you want and if it suites your lifestyle you can do more, you know build on it, but great job getting active!
  • Watermelon398
    Options
    Yeah, that's so awesome for having those kiddos around! Great job!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and I'm on my feet 8 hrs a day. According to my Fitbit I walk 3-5 miles a day at work. I consider that active. I also weight train 4x/week. I add the weight training in as my exercise but I don't add my work in as exercise.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job as well, in front of a computer 12 hours. But I also run...25-30 mpw. For someone who works retail, that would probably put them at very active, but it puts me at active once I do a numbers crunch....just to give some comparison.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have an online business and spend a good amount of time in front of the computer. :-/ On weekends, my husband, kids and I take long walks (3-5 miles)...but it isn't consistent, where the 4x/week on my own is.

You could always try to meet the two in the middle at 1500, and see how that works out for you.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

You could always try to meet the two in the middle at 1500, and see how that works out for you.

I agree w/this.