Breast reduction buddies??

Options
Hi
I'm looking to connect with other women who have lost weight AFTER a breast reduction. I'm going for a BR in June however I do have significant amount of weight to lose (either before or after surgery). I'm hoping with this surgery I can get more exercise, become healthier and finally be rid of the constant pain/shoulder/emotional pain that having large breasts cause.

Replies

• nmha
    nmha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm having one on Tuesday! Have about 40lbs to lose after surgery but I've already lost about 20. Add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • jedifan
    jedifan Posts: 7
    Options
    I went to the doctor today and finally scheduled mine. It's set up for June 9. I've been talking about it for years and am finally getting it done. My doctor really suggested losing most of my weight before the surgery. I'mi down about 19 pounds. The problem now is that if I lose any more before the surgery, I'll end up being a small B cup after it's done. They have to take a certain amount of tissue from each breast in order for it to be deemed medically necessary. I'm thinking about just maintaining my current weight until after surgery. It's a tough decision!

nmha, I hope your surgery went well!!! Let us know how you're doing.

ljb82, looks like we'll being going through the same thing about the same time. I could use some buddy support!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why? Save your money and do it AFTER your weight loss. I lost 2 cup sizes, some people lose way more than that, what's going to happen after you lose 70 lbs? You'll end up with saggy As. Seriously, do yourself a favor and wait. In the meantime, if they're such a hindrance for exercise, lift weights and walk.
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Franci27: uuh not sure what you're talking about! If you workout and lose weight at a proper rate (1-2lbs a week) sagging shouldn't be an issue...

Anyway, I am getting mine done on Thursday and would love to connect with some women who have had it/also need to lose a bit of weight after the surgery.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Does breast reduction surgery cause weight gain? I am a 32G and have been thinking about it.
  • dancektxoxo
    dancektxoxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had one almost 3 weeks ago - just starting back at work and light exercise. 30 pounds is the ultimate goal to lose! Went from a 34F to a 34C, but still a bit swollen and stiff, so they may get to a full B - fingers crossed!

56869823.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • dancektxoxo
    dancektxoxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Does breast reduction surgery cause weight gain? I am a 32G and have been thinking about it.

Only if you don't watch your caloric intake while resting the first couple weeks or not moving around enough. I had almost 4 pounds of tissue removed, but gained half a pound back from my mom cooking for me while recovering! Walk as much as possible, but don't hurt yourself on account of trying to avoid fluctuations on the scale while you are healing if you get it done! [:

56869823.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    That's very helpful, thank you. I'll definitely go under the knife after children, I can't imagine them being any larger.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am a 32G

You say that like it's a bad thing. :tongue:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd have thought it would be better to get a good sports bra for now and then assess matters once you've reached your goal weight otherwise you could end up very disappointed with what you are left with. You may even find you don't need to operate as your fitness improves because they do become a lot lighter and less difficult to live with!
  • odonlin
    odonlin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had one last year - I lost 6lb of tissue and I feel amazing!! The healing and scarring kind of suck, but if you are truly sick of lagging your girls around, you will put up with anything to have this feeling of freedom! I wish I had mine 20 years ago, so please don't wait, you will feel so motivated after its done - trust me!:smile:
  • chantellelouise03
    Options
    Wouldn't it be best to get to a goal weight before surgery the scars can be pretty horrific you may be happy enough with the size after weightloss simple massage can help keep them firm otherwise you could get the surgery then lose more weight and end up with small empty sagging and scarred breasts I know I would prefer a little heavy over that.
    I do have bigger than 32gg so I know they can be heavy but it does feel much better once your fitter and at a healthy weight as well often I find bras add to breast and back pain rather than help so that's a thing to look at yes I am big breasted but go braless a lot its actually very comfortable after you get used to it.
    All I am saying is don't jump into something so drastic especially if your young or before children or you plan on losing weight because that is going to effect your breasts alot, it could be a very regrettable decision.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction in 2005 - best decision of my life. At that point, I was VERY close to my highest weight. I lost nearly 10lbs just from the reduction. I have since gone on to lose more weight, gain some back and am losing again after a fall that side lined me. I know most women say their boobs get bigger or smaller during weight gain/loss - mine have always been large. As a 90lb young woman mine were still a 36F. So, there's no guarantee you'll lose them when you lose weight (I also did NOT lose anything off them when I lost 60lbs and I haven't gained any of them back in the 20lbs or so I've gained in the last year or so).

:)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be best to get to a goal weight before surgery the scars can be pretty horrific you may be happy enough with the size after weightloss simple massage can help keep them firm otherwise you could get the surgery then lose more weight and end up with small empty sagging and scarred breasts I know I would prefer a little heavy over that.

The scars are NOT horrific! Good grief. They are very light and not all that noticeable at all. And if you've ever had large breasts - you'd know the scars are minor to the pain and sometimes embarrassment of overly large breasts.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to get mine done after I've been at maintenance for one year ( part of me is just really hoping not to have surgery at all because it freaks me out) . A lot of my weight loss seems to have come from my bust area (back included). When I look down at mine in my bra their swimming and wrinkly :sad:

I have found going to a chiropractor very helpful for the back pain.

I'd love to be a supportive buddy and hear how it goes for you.

Best Wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As a woman that has had large breasts since becoming a teenager, I personally know, no matter how much weight I lose, I will always have large breasts. It seems to be hereditary, and I would consider a BR now that I know I'm not having any more children. It's not fun right now wearing ill-fitting bras, trouble finding good sports bras, trouble finding clothes that fit your body, not your boobs, etc. I hope I lose at least one cup size as I work on losing weight and they'll probably be the last thing to "shrink". My cup went up 1-2 sizes after having my son, and my cup has gone up another size as I've lost weight. (I've lost inches around the middle, but my breasts remain the same, so its a greater difference = bigger cup size.)

That being said, I will personally choose to lose a good portion of my weight first. We'll see what happens in the next year. I want to be able to buy bras anywhere, not special order.

So - I just wanted to say good luck!!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I had one last year - I lost 6lb of tissue and I feel amazing!! The healing and scarring kind of suck, but if you are truly sick of lagging your girls around, you will put up with anything to have this feeling of freedom! I wish I had mine 20 years ago, so please don't wait, you will feel so motivated after its done - trust me!:smile:

agree ! though my scarring is not that bad at all- I was nearly 60 when I had mine done 3 pounds gone and 2 years later I have lost another 30 pounds and feel great, I walk for exercise and body is in balance, finally freedom as previous poster says and I can wear what I want now no gaping or buttons problems. Wish I had done it years ago too.
  • chantellelouise03
    Options
    I am not embaressed to be a woman with breasts there is nothing embaressing about that if there is you need therapy not surgery I love my body curves and all I am confident even though I'm a bit heavy
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Did you guys have lipo on the underarm fat, breast lateral roll, during the surgery?
  • jedifan
    jedifan Posts: 7
    Options
    For those of you that understand the issues of non-weight related, overly large breasts and are considering a breast reduction, there is a fantastic breast reduction support group on facebook. It's a closed group, so you have to ask to join. Nobody, but members see what's on the board. Negativity is not allowed. Just great information and support. Do a search for breast reduction support. That's how I found it.

I'm 2 week post op from my breast reduction. Best decision I've ever made. My boobs were overly large regardless of my weight. Back, shoulder and neck problems. Clothes didn't fit. A bra that fit would have been fantastic.... a comfortable bra that fit would have been a dream come true. Only place to get any sort of bra was online or a specialty store. Ridiculous prices. Beyond just a curvy woman. No overly physical activities possible as there's no such thing as a sports bra for super busty women. Limited in life due to the girls. Sounds funny, but it's not when you're living it.

People, please don't judge those of us who are contemplating this decision or have already made it. You are not in our positions or bodies. This is a very personal choice. This is a life changing decision for us and one that I'm thrilled I made. Once I'm recovered, my goal is to become a runner. I've already signed up for my first 5K in January. Something I NEVER would have been able to participate in before.