Constipation- TMI

Options
13»

Replies

• Reshaping_me
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! I am the OP (original poster), and I have still not used the restroom. My doctor has suggested taking Miralax and tea. I have done both and seen no results. I am not totally sure what to do from here. I am getting to the point where I may need to do an enema, but again, I do not want to harm my body, but I hate feeling so bloated, constipated, and weighed down.

Any extra thoughts? AND THANK YOU AGAIN for all the comments! :)
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but regarding the magnesium discussion, here's what my textbook says (I'm studying nutrition):

The process of digestion and absorption of magnesium is similar to that of calcium. The suggested ratio of intake of these two vital nutrients is about 2:1, calcium to magnesium.

Magnesium also requires an acidic stomach environment for best absorption, so taking it between meals or at bedtime is recommended.

Meals high in protein or fat, a diet high in phosphorus or calcium (calcium and magnesium can compete), or alcohol use may decrease magnesium absorption. It is possible that some of the hangover symptoms related to alcohol are in part due to magnesium depletion. Taking this mineral with some thiamine (B1) and drinking extra water can help prevent hangover symptoms.

Usually, about 40% to 50% of the magnesium we consume is absorbed, although this may vary from 25% to 75% depending on stomach acid levels, body needs, dietary habits, and the exact form of magnesium. Stress may increase magnesium excretion, the resulting temporary magnesium depletion may make the heart more sensitive to electrical abnormalities and vascular spasm, which could lead to cardiac ischemia. The kidneys can excrete or conserve magnesium according to body needs. The intestines can also eliminate excess magnesium in the feces.

Toxicity due to magnesium overload is almost unknown in a nutritional context, as excesses are usually eliminated in the urine and feces. However, symptoms of magnesium toxicity can occur if calcium intake is low. These symptoms may include depression of the central nervous system, causing muscle weakness, fatigue, sleepiness, or even hyper-excitability. In extreme states, magnesium overload can cause death.

Magnesium can also function as a bowel laxative, and milk of magnesia has been used for many years for precisely this reason. In 1997, the Institute of Medicine may have used mild, infrequent, and reversible diarrhea as its reason for setting 350 mg as the tolerable upper limit for mineral supplements containing magnesium.

420 mg is the new RDA for adult men, and 15% of all adult men in the US get 175 mg per day or less. As long as a balance is kept with other minerals, especially calcium, (the MD who wrote the textbook) is comfortable with supplements up to approximately 1000 mg.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Oh I wanted to add, it IS possible to get TOO much fiber, especially if you don't consume enough fluids relative to fiber consumption. I know you said you drink a lot of water, but just be aware of that, if you eat a ton of fiber and don't drink enough fluid it'll just make things worse.

I have IBS so I feel your pain as this is a regular occurrence for me too, but some people don't tolerate insoluble fiber very well, particularly people who have IBS (that's my understanding anyway). Too, I might be the lone weirdo here, but prunes can sometimes make discomfort worse because they can produce a lot of excess gas, and if you're blocked up it can't escape and you'll just end up more bloated and uncomfortable. I'd maybe try eating something with fat, like other people have suggested, because if things are rock-hard it'll help it all move along faster and easier.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    FLAX is all i have to say. laxative dependence sapped at my quality of life for many years, and flax seed solved all my problems almost overnight. every other time i'd try to get off them there'd be painful weeks with my insides full of crap, bloated and in pain with my poor sore bottom from trying to push out concrete, then i'd give up. but i ate 50g of flax seed in a couple of sittings (tastes good anyway and you can add it to anything) and drank plenty of water and within a couple of days i felt like a new woman. you can then slowly decrease the amount you eat, i'm not dependant on it any more, but i still eat some because it's full of good stuff and super good for you. everyone's different but it was a miracle for me.

please try it, you might save yourself a lot of trouble
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Actually yeah, you just reminded me, chia seeds are really good too, maybe better than flax for some people (you could always try both and see what works better). They form kind of a gel around them that helps things move along. I add a tablespoon to my cottage cheese every morning and I've found it helpful.
  • Trashtruck
    Options
    I'd rec Miralax.

Also, if you have cement stool blocking the path at the rectum end, it may be hard to tackle that with a lot of by mouth treatments... so you may consider a cap full of miralax in 8 ounces of water every day until you start going frequently.... along with a glycerin suppository up the butt to soften the stool there.

The longer poo stays in the intestine, the more dehydrated and therefore harder it gets. The Miralax may create very loose stools at first, as it deals with the poo at the beginning of the intestines, which hasn't been there long, and isn't as hard. It loosens that poo and sends it down, past the harder poo.... which may seem like you're having too loose of a stool. But, keep taking it! Soon it will get to work on that hard stool thats plugging your pipes, and it;ll be smooth sailing from there. make sure you're drinking enough too.

Wheee! Poop talk!
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the miralax and the a good ol' glycerin suppository. The miralax does take time to work as others have pointed out, normally a few days if you are backed up bad. I used it after my abdominal surgery as I had been warned of the problems I would have going after my surgery and from the pain medicine. So after I was released from the hospital I started dosing myself right away so I would not have too many problems.

As to this being a normal thing, one thing that I've found really works is Probiotics. A cheap really effective way is to take them in pill form. I've found these, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Probiotic-Multi-Enzyme-Digestive-Formula-Tablets-200-count/11997236 work wonders for me. When I take three pills every day after eating dinner, they help keep me more regular than I've ever been. Then I stop taking them and really notice the difference and curse myself for stopping...and start taking them again :laugh:
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Wheee! Poop talk!

That actually made me LOL! With that and your pic from A Bugs Life, made me think of dung balls :laugh: