What's YOUR secret to maintaining the weight loss?? .

Options
So, I am a 40 year old guy.....it's been almost 3 months since I started this weight loss journey and it has been enormously successful! About 40 pounds lost so far depending on what time of day I step on the scale. I have about 5 pounds more to lose but I am very cognizant that losing the weight is only the beginning....I have been through this a few times in my life so I know better now. I have to figure out how to make it stick!
My secret to success this time around has been and will be, to continue moving the goal posts! I technically have 5 pounds to go to reach my goal but I have already moved on from that goal and have new ones to conquer! The five pounds will come off in short order, maybe a little slower now that I am not doing massive amounts of endless cardio and I am shifting to massive heavy lifting and a focus on diet, but I am trying to focus on new goals, techniques, etc. it's not just about weight loss anymore, it's about body shaping!
Any advice, etc is welcome! Any friend requests are also welcome, would love to inspire or be inspired....this site has been a great tool along the way!

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I don't have any secrets except that logging really works for me. Not overeating and moving more, even if it is just walking , seems to be my key
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Like you i've done this a few times, and although i've never been one for fad diets I have only been successful at losing properly once before, and then clearly that wasn't truly successful seeing as i'm here now. :laugh:

Last time I did it, and every other time I tried, I made the huge mistake of having an all-or-nothing attitude. I think it's just part of me, so it has been very hard to change this BUT in doing so it has enabled me to move forward and to really change my cognitive perception of 'diet' and food/exercise. Whereas before I would simply refuse to eat anything that I perceived to be 'naughty' (how daft!) and would work out as often as possible, I now keep a nice balance and nothing is banned, allowing me to enjoy the food I love and still lose weight, and be healthy! Win win.

The other thing that is different this time is that I really want to lose the weight. I know that sounds daft as obviously everyone who tries to lose wants to do so, but I am exponentially more determined this time, and that is down to having goals that I didn't have before. I've plans to enter several different races and have lots of physical based activities to attempt that I need to get fit for, so having a goal for fitness and being lighter has become the focus more.

And of course, having support helps a great deal too! I did use a paid calorie counting website in the past but logging was inconsistent, and MFP is way better anyway, in my opinion. :-)

Good luck in your journey! And well done on how far you've come so far. :drinker:
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Keep on logging! Every time I have been successful in the past, I've stopped logging (this is decades ago, when I would log my calories consumed on paper, long before I ever heard of MFP) once I had reached my goal. Inevitably, the weight would creep back on when I stopped logging. This time, I am keeping the weight off by continuing to log calories in and calories out. I am currently on a 807 day logging streak.
  • MissMCassidy
    Options
    Keep on logging! Every time I have been successful in the past, I've stopped logging (this is decades ago, when I would log my calories consumed on paper, long before I ever heard of MFP) once I had reached my goal. Inevitably, the weight would creep back on when I stopped logging. This time, I am keeping the weight off by continuing to log calories in and calories out. I am currently on a 807 day logging streak.

YES! Logging is essential! For me personally I have the whole gaining/losing weight thing backwards, I'm very on again off again with MFP I have like 3 accounts used so rarely I forgot how to log into them LOL anyways when I log I realize even though I think I eat ton I only consume 600-850 calories day so my body's in starvation mode 95% of the time and I never lose weight. But when I log I manage to get a good 1,200 a day and lose weight. This (or last summer 2013 ) I lost 50 pounds by logging daily, working out like crazy, and eating enough. Now I'd assume for most people who eat too many calories t
    he result would be the same. Also once a week eat junk food in moderation that way you won't be deprived stop dieting and go all crazy. Good luck!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Weighing in daily. I know that people have different attitudes about this, but it helped me keep off a previous loss from 10 years ago. It was only when I stopped daily weigh-ins (only because I moved and didn't have a convenient place for my scale) that my weight started creeping up a few pounds. I joined MFP to rein that in and lose more. I expect I'll weigh in every day for the rest of my life. I find that it keeps me mindful of my priorities by starting the day that way.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I think you have the absolute right attitude going into maintenance. There are multiple posts daily from people who find it scary and I think it is because they haven't truly shifted their focus away from weight loss. I think if you develop an attitude that focuses on body composition, maintenance will fall into line.

For me, two major factors have been switching to TDEE so that I no longer look at exercise in terms of calories or food , but something I do for general fitness. In fact, I do not even think about my calorie burns at all anymore (I log as "1" for everything). Second, paying more attention to my macros has been good. My situation is a bit different than most because I have Crohn's disease which can really mess with my weight and metabolism at any given time, but doing these things has helped me to preserve some lean muscle and keep my weight where it needs to be, even in a flare.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've never done this before - and I'm in my 50's.

Logging. I'm a data junkie and it helps me make better choices.

Eating fantastic food I love. In small quantities. Really paying attention to food reminds me that the first few bites are the best and that more is not always better.

Eating when I'm hungry. Not a lot, but I assume if I'm hungry my body needs food. Some almonds or cashews or a glass of kefir. Enough to keep me happy until the next regular meal. I swear if you eat when you're hungry your body learns you're not really starving and backs off.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Besides Logging EVERY day -

**One CHEAT DAY at the end of the week keeps me from falling off the wagon !! This doesn't mean binge and eat anything and everything you have been craving but that you should have that donought or that bacon or those French fries you've been craving all week !

Also as funny as it sounds - Don't just EXERCISE but find Variety during the week -

Joggin/Running/Walking/hiking combined with a day of zumba or yoga or pilates, a day where you go skate or roller blade or swim a day of weight training a couple days at the Gym so you don't get bored :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Continue doing what I did while losing, only with slightly more food.

It's seriously that simple: exercise (with attainable goals), logging food most of the time, indulging some of the time, weighing in now and then.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also as funny as it sounds - Don't just EXERCISE but find Variety during the week -

Joggin/Running/Walking/hiking combined with a day of zumba or yoga or pilates, a day where you go skate or roller blade or swim a day of weight training a couple days at the Gym so you don't get bored :)

^ Great advice! Definitely find some fun activities to keep you active! I've found a no cover dance club that I hit up on the weekends and I'll dance for a couple of hours (a great workout!) and sometimes I'll go roller skating or walk around the local parks.

I also agree that continuing to log is key. I have no plans to stop logging currently because it helps me stay on track. I also like to have fitness events on my schedule so that I don't slack off and stop exercising. For example, I'll be doing local corporate challenge events during May/June and I'm signed up for a 10k in June as well. Once I'm past those, I'll likely sign up for another 10k for late summer.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Besides Logging EVERY day -

**One CHEAT DAY at the end of the week keeps me from falling off the wagon !! This doesn't mean binge and eat anything and everything you have been craving but that you should have that donought or that bacon or those French fries you've been craving all week !

This is great advice! If someone told me I could never have a donut again if I wanted to maintain my weight, I would punch them in the face. Moderation is key, and sometimes I will eat a donut and I will be okay as long as I don't eat 100 donuts.

A friend just told me that I have "exercise ADD". Maybe I do, but I enjoy it all! I love going to spin class and my cardio dance class and ballet and lifting and swimming and running around the park with my pooch. I do whatever I feel like doing that day and I never feel like I have to force myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's not secret. It's just CONSISTENCY with behavior.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

It's seriously that simple: exercise (with attainable goals), logging food most of the time, indulging some of the time, weighing in now and then.
    ^Basically this. Although now I've added bulk/cut cycles because one of my goals is strength/muscle building.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    There's no secret. It's not an endgame, it's a lifelong road. You just keep going. Once you lose the weight, you move into maintenance. I've been in maintenance for a long time. I still log every day. I have goals for my protein and carbs, sugar and sodium, and as long as I meet those goals, I eat what I like to meet my calorie goals. I exercise regularly and lift. Find what is sustainable for you, that's what will work for you in the long term.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

^Basically this. Although now I've added bulk/cut cycles because one of my goals is strength/muscle building.

Yep, that for me as well. The weight loss was strictly based on food consumption. I didn't start any exercise program that I wouldn't continue on with once I hit my goal. The benefit.....eat a ton in maintenance and not gain :)
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just stay vigilant... Keep logging to stay accountable. I've set a cap for myself - if my weight goes above a certain number, it's time to get serious again. Don't let 5 pounds become 10 - 15 - 20..... I've been maintaining for over a year now and it's working for me!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    log like everyone else says. But for me I eat for comfort. If I get bored or anxious I remind myself food is not the answer and try to problem solve also finding ways to comfort other than food like exercise,music, calling a friend, thinking of the beach or something positive. Reminding myself I have to take care of my self not do destructive stuff like overeating. If I mess up one day, no big deal,get back on track. Remind myself I want to fit in those clothes this SPRING! This is a lifestyle, there is no end to it. get junk food out of the house. I remind myself Food is not the Answer many times, stop take care of me!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't have any secrets except that logging really works for me. Not overeating and moving more, even if it is just walking , seems to be my key

Pretty much this for me. My method to stay in this maintain weight mode is to not eat more calories than my calorie goal. I move more to change the calorie goal of needed.

For me "eating is for weight and exercise is for body composition" so all I keep in mind for maintaining my weight is the amount food I eat.
  • dcalentino
    dcalentino Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MOVE MORE EAT LESS. There is no secret, no magic pill, no supplements that will make you lose weight.
    It's a life change you need to make in order to keep the weight off. Nothing taste better than being thin. :)