Will I lose weight after a 15-18 hour fasting period?

Options
Has any got experience with fasting?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to be working closely with a counselor. Any sort of fasting, especially with a history of an ED, has a potential to aid in relapse.

I read your post before you edited it, and it seems like relearning your relationship with food should be your first step. Fasting is not an effective weight loss tool, and does not provide long term results. I personally do not agree with any sort of period where you deprive your body of food for the sake of weight loss.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Step away from the internet and book an appointment with a therapist. I am not being snarky, I think any other advice you will get or try to find will only make things worst. What you need is professional help, or you are making damage that might not be undone. Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why did you delete your original post and replaced it with something different???
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    Well I am going to assume there is some sort of ED involved here after reading the comments.

Will you lose weight after fasting? Yes

Will you put it straight back on soon as you resume eating? No doubt about

Is it necessary? NO!!

Everything you need to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable method is contained in the link below, I recommend you take the time to both read and implement the data contained within it....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Just in case you do suffer from an ED and are seeking counseling...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to assume there is some sort of ED involved here after reading the comments.

Will you lose weight after fasting? Yes

Will you put it straight back on soon a you resume eating? No doubt about

Is it necessary? NO!!

Everything you need to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable method in contained in the link below, I recommend you take the time to both read and implement the data contained within it....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Just in case you do suffer from an ED and are seeking counseling...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

Yes, the OP said they were a recovering bulimic.
    Please OP, check out the link they posted. From your original post, it seems like fasting is a very bad idea with your personal history, and that this ED is manifesting itself in new ways.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Has any got experience with fasting?

You'll probably lose water and your weight will proportionally decrease because of the lack of food and waste in your intestine.
    Apart from that, I don't think you could lose a relevant quantity of fat tissue in such a short amount of time.

Might be wrong, and if I am, feel free to correct me... but I think anything takes its time.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    IF is not a diet it's a eating style.

No, only if in a calorie deficit. The only real advantage is condensing all your cals in a short time frame to allow you to feel full.
  • Beley1984
    Beley1984 Posts: 21
    Options
    You will lose weight after fasting for 15-18 hours if you combine it with work out. Fats are preserved energy in our body. So, during fasting period, light exercise burns fats which helps make body lose weight.
  • Beley1984
    Options
    Yeah, it would be better to consult a therapist about that. It would be safer and accurate.
  • Beley1984
    Options
    There is nothing to be gained by fasting versus eating at a steady deficit - nothing. The 16/8 diet and all of the other intermittent fasting diets are just fad diets with no real science to support the claims behind them.

There is one benefit of fasting.. during fasting periods, toxics in our body are removed. I mean we are cleansed from any harmful toxics in our body.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Go get some help! :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be gained by fasting versus eating at a steady deficit - nothing. The 16/8 diet and all of the other intermittent fasting diets are just fad diets with no real science to support the claims behind them.

There is one benefit of fasting.. during fasting periods, toxics in our body are removed. I mean we are cleansed from any harmful toxics in our body.

What? Your body cleanses itself daily, you don't have to fast. And please explain what these harmful toxins are, exactly? Are you drinking bleach with your meals?
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Fasting due to mostly losing water retained does often drop a kilo off. However that isn't really weight loss as much as your 'empty' weight. I wouldn't recommend fasting as a weight loss technique. Humans are meant to be able to starve occasionally though. So no more than one day a week you can eat say half of what you'd usually have for a day.
    Usually starving isn't for weight but more not eating for a day as you lie in bed letting your body get over a stomach bug or '24 hour wog'. (And you go to your empty weight anyway not weight loss).
    I advise against juice fasting. You'll give yourself a sugar/citrus headache and stomach pain from the acidly.
    When it comes down to it talk to a personal trainer, doctor and or nutritionist.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options

What? Your body cleanses itself daily, you don't have to fast. And please explain what these harmful toxins are, exactly? Are you drinking bleach with your meals?

^^^ This! LOL. The funny things you see on the internet. :laugh:

To OP - I hope you can get some help from a therapist instead of posting on internet boards.