numbness pain in ankle leg part

Options
When i walk sometimes for exercise i get this strange pain in my ankle and side of leg, someone said it could be shin splints but i'm not so sure as i do some stretches before i start my walk, can it be that i start out to fast? when i don't get it i walk 5km in under 45 min but when i do it slows me so down that i cant even make 2km before giving up.

Hope some one has some advice.

Could also be that I'm to heavy for my legs, but why don't it happen all the time then?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Questions -

1 - Just one leg?

2 - is the pain on the inside or outside of your ankle?

3 - what shoes do you walk in (brand & model)?
  • arnowest
    arnowest Posts: 11
    Options
    1. more in the one leg than the other.
    2. outside
    3. new balance 573
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    most likely shin splints.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try shoes without a raised heel. Most shoes, including your NB 573s, have a raised heel, and that causes a braking effect when you walk, which can cause those symptoms. Go with zero-heel shoes, like Converse, skateboard shoes, or minimalist shoes (Vibrams, etc).

Keep us posted how it goes..
  • arnowest
    Options
    will try, have a pair converse so tonight i will know if it work, but what you are saying make sense. Thank you.
  • arnowest
    Options
    no i do stretches as i thought it was shin splints but i still get it even when i stretch.
  • arnowest
    Options
    well it did not work, still got that pain but only in the one leg. maybe i should see a doctor. Thanks for the advise
  • LollyChester
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy - but is it cold where you're walking? i get something similar if it's cold outside, or if I start too quickly. Since I prefer shorts or capri workout pants my legs are exposed to the cool air. I found that if I wear leggings it helps - OR if I use compression socks as a way to cover my lower legs it helps. Also I have to pace myself and force myself to go slower until my muscles are warm (about 3-5 minutes) from seriously walk/running.
  • arnowest
    Options
    nope the climate in south africa is mild, might be that i start to fast, so will do a slow start tonight and see how it goes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to check with your doctor about this. You may even need to see a pediatrist or orthopedic doctor as it kind of sounds like maybe you need a bit more support in one shoe than the other. Pronation (tendency to roll foot inward) can be a big factor with shin splints and is pretty common.

So, one more thing you could try on your own before checking with a doc is a good shoe insert that will help prevent pronation. I find arch supports can be very helpful. Not the little cheapo ones that you find at WalMart though - the ones that are like $25-30 at sports stores or speciality shoe stores that fit your whole shoe.

While stretching can help, you may also need to tape and ice that leg, and of course rest it in order to let the shin splints properly heal.

I know every time I start walking outside in the spring, it's inevitable that I'll get shin splints the first few times because I tend to get all gung ho and go a bit too fast or my gait is too long and my body's just not used to it. So I try to slow down a bit and make sure I take my distance and speed progression slow. Not always easy but it pays to be patient!

Good luck!
  • arnowest
    Options
    thank you, will look into those souls, it might be that the road is not level and causing me to work one leg more