For walkers & runners

Options
Good Morning!!
I am just starting to really get into walking and have started jogging. My question is what does everyone do in the winter time?
I do not have a treadmill, nor can afford a membership anywhere, the only place that I could walk is the mall and as fast as I walk I would mow everyone over!!! :laugh: Do you walk in the snow & cold? If so how do you dress and
what types of shoes do you wear? I have come a long way and I don't want to just stop in the winter months. The only real support I get is on here so I need everyone's advice. Most of my friends & some of my family think I am "ok" the way I am. Well I am not "ok" with how I am and I am trying to better myself. There has been health issues in my family and so far I have been able to stop the high blood pressure meds I was on just by losing the weight I have so far. I have also turned my blood sugar around...so there is something to this eatting healthy!!! :happy:
I have been reading up on the internet but most of what I have found has been to "dress warm". I understand that but how and what do you dress warm with. I do not want to stop walking just because it has gotten cold or is snowing outside.
I will take all the advice I can get. I value everyone on here!!

Thank you so much,
Mary

Replies

• emilymae87
    Options
    I am a walker. I walk inside year round. People think I'm crazy but I love it!!! I use a dvd by Leslie Sansone ... you can find them at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. I love using her dvd's because it keeps me focused and going at an up beat tempo. I sweat so I know that I'm getting a good work out but with the warm up and cool down you work into it and out of it so by the end your heart rate is back to normal. I would highly recommend her dvd's -- it moves your body in different ways to work more muscles than regular walking does and it really does feel good!! I'd encourage you to check her out -- her site is http://www.walkathome.com/

Happy Walking :)
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I plan on carrying on with my outdoor walking this winter. I do plan on dressing warm. For instance... If it is a cool crisp autumn day I shall have on sweat pants and sweat shirt. No jacket. Winter days I plan on some thermals underneath the sweat pants and sweat shirt as well as some thermal socks. I do have some walking boots so may implement those. My dressing will depend upon the weather that day. I will try when possible to leave off the jacket unless it is wet of course. Not much help I suppose. This is my first winter that I plan on doing my walking. I am usually one who likes to stay in the warmth.

Sharon
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    1st all- GREAT JOB! I'm sorry to hear you don't have any support at home. I used to get the same thing. Oh you are fine the way you are, or you look great. and I appreciate everyone being nice to me. But I need motivation as well. and my husband finally saw that. he doesn't cut my down. but when he makes comments, like I think your butt is tighter. or even when co-workers ask, are you losing weight? That feels great. and I love to say, actually yes I am.
    so keep up the great work.

As for winter. I'm not lying. its going to be hard when there is snow on the ground. But there are other ways. Dress for the weather. Long underwear when its really cold, will always help. gloves will be a must. I still like to wear sneakers.
    But did you consider doing your steps in the house. it's a killer workout, just walking up and down steps. Plus when its snowing. Shovel instead of use the snow blower. that burns alot! Walking at the mall is always good. our mall, if you go first thing in morning when it opens, its very slow, and shouldn't be a problem running over people. except maybe near christmas.
    and the cold air outside, is actually refreshing, and opens your lungs. and you will be surprised how warm you will get, working up a sweat.
    good luck and don't let winter get in your way!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I run outside when it is 20F and not icy, and I have a couple of friends who run all year. My best advice (besides dressing warm) is to wear wool or synthetics as your first layer and socks. Look for fabrics that says wicking or 'keeps you dry'. Cotton just traps sweat and makes you feel icky and cold! It's so much more comfortable if you wear the right clothes.

Also, it may take you a while to figure out how much you need to wear - I aim for being slightly chilly (but not cold) when you step outside, because the heat your body makes when you exercise will make you warmer. If you are in a place where you can do so, you could wear a bunch of layers to start and then shed them as you get warmer.

Finally, if it is really cold, I like to wear breathable scarves over my mouth to block out some of the cold air when I am breathing. Not everybody finds this comfortable though, so you have to find what works for you. You may have to slow down a bit so your body can adjust to the cold weather. Walking/running outside in the winter can be great (especially when the snow is falling), but make sure to stay safely warm and avoid spots that may be slippery!
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to live in the country and have close access to trails. My father in law and I go for 5 to 6km treks through the snow and let me tell you it is a workout having to trudge through the deep snow. I usually wear a light shirt underneath my winter coat and almost always end up taking my mittens off. If you have trails close to you I'd suggest doing that. As for footwear I wear good quality winter boots and buy a really good set of insoles for more support.
    Good for you for coming along so nicely in your health and fitness....keep up the good work!!
  • elzettel
    Options
    Dressing in layers is helpful. I prefer cotton (maybe a thermal) and tend to top it off with a fleece of some kind. I've made some lucky finds at yard sales or a thrift store for a couple of nicer running jackets which has helped--they are SOOO pricey! I wouldn't skimp on the shoes though. I purchased a nice pair at a local sporting goods store but eventually ended up with some knee issues. I found a local running store (and a coupon for that store) and was fitted for a nice pair of shoes. They were pricey even with the coupon but the knowlegde of the clerk was invaluable and my knees feel much better. The malls around here open 1-2 hours early just for walkers--no open stores but the foot traffic isn't there so you don't have to worry about mowing anyone down :smile: They even have mall walker clubs so that could be something you might like to check on. Also, through our parks and recreation department/committee some of the local schools are opened for some later hours for walkers as well. The fee is nominal (if at all) and is an alternative to the mall (which is usually only open in the early am for walkers). I'd double check with your health insurance regarding any discounts. Some offer discounts with local gyms, sporting goods store, etc...it may put an option within reach for you with a little saving (or Christmas gift). My husband's work offered a 'health account' and once a year he does a general well check up and they putt $300 in an account. You can use that money for fitness or health related items so I purchased a pretty low tech treadmill and we were reimbursed for most of the price. I also try to sign up for one 5K a month. Sometimes I run and sometimes I walk...either way it helps with motivation. I enjoy the website www.active.com. It gives some tips for running/walking at all levels and you might find some additional ideas there. Most importantly congrats on getting moving and creating a healthier you!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    One more thing regarding shoes - if you are looking to invest in a pair that give you a bit more traction outside but you can still use indoors, you can look for 'trail' or 'cross country' running shoes. They have a bit more traction and bumpiness on the bottom, but are still light enough to wear inside.

Last (but certainly not least), CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a runner!! Kudos for you for sticking with the program and thinking ahead to the winter weather! Walking and running are such great activities - I hope you are enjoying it!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Certainly you can continue to walk/jog outdoors throughout the year. There are some things you can do to make it more comfortable.

You have more leeway with walking because the intensity is lower. For jogging, the main issues are managing moisture and wind. If you are jogging, your body puts out plenty of heat, so that is usually not the main issue--actually getting rid of the heat you generate is often more important. However, perspiration (moisture) and wind can rob your body heat very quickly and increase the risk of hypothermia. So the key is to release the heat, minimize the conductive properties of moisture and block the wind. .

Layering your clothing is usually recommended and there are a variety of ways to do this. The base layer (closest to your skin) should be made of a wicking material. No cotton. The main job of the base layer is to wick moisture from the skin. Moisture passes through and the material continues to keep you warm even when wet. This type of clothing is fairly ubiquitous now and should be easy to find. It is a polyester type fabric--there are many, many different brand names. You can find plenty of options where you live--whether at a running store, sporting goods store, or outdoor outfitters type store.

The next layer is not always necessary, but it should have similar properties as the base layer--mainly the ability to retain its heat insulating capacity when wet. Usually this is the main insulating layer. Any polyester type fleece material will do.

The outer layer should be wind-resistant, but also allow moisture to pass through and evaporate. The original fabric invented for this purpose was Gore Tex. Now, there are dozens of technical fabrics that performed the same job, with varying degrees of success. A simple windbreaker is often not sufficient because, while it blocks the wind, it is also does not allow moisture to pass through, so you actually end up becoming wetter and more chilled. The outer layer is often your most expensive item, although, again, there are a LOT of options available these days.

If you don't plan on going out in the rain, there are some "windproof" fleece jackets out there now that can sometimes serve the role of the outer two layers, but I think they are more suitable to dryer areas than Indiana.

Obviously, gloves and hat are a must. Again, no cotton--stick with wool or synthetics.

Also, do not overdo it with socks. This is a frequent mistake, Wearing too heavy or too many socks can actually cause your feet to get colder, either through increase perspiration or by restricting circulation from being crammed in your shoe.

Footing can be a concern--sometimes, it's better to run in the streets rather than on the sidewalk--that just means you need to plan your routes to stay in less trafficked areas.

I find it best to check out the general conditions and orient the run so that, if there is a wind, you have it in your face going out and at your back coming in, or that you plan a route that changes direction frequently. It also is safer to plan routes that don't take you too far away from your house or car, just in case something happens and you have to walk.

Good luck
  • christina1109
    Options
    In most places, you can go to the mall before the stores open. There are usually less people there and you could do your walking there. If you want to walk outside, dress in layers, and wear all leather shoes that you can waterproof.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later! Any suggestions for keeping a Jack Russell Terrier winter-walk-ready? :bigsmile:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Our mall opens early. You can get into the mall at certain entrances before the stores open. There are stroller fitness classes and all kinds of people walking. It is free and when you go early you see people of all fitness levels and speeds getting in their walk.
    I run, but they say to dress for running as it is 10-20 degrees warmer so that you don't overheat. Also some quality workout clothes that ARE NOT COTTON area good investment...even if it is only the first layer..to wick away any sweat so you don't get chilly from being damp....finally it is best to wear layers..if it is really chilly/cold...try running tights or a light long underwear option under a pair of wind pants or sweat pants...and then a long sleeve fitness shirt under a short sleeve tshirt and sweatshirt with a jacket...gloves and hats a must...I always get the $1 stretchy gloves for myself and my kids so that if I lose them throughout the winter it is not biggie but it is also good because sometimes you need to take them off etc for a while or even use them to wipe your cold running nose while you are out there and thus you can pitch them if they get to gross.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!!! I knew I should layer my clothes but didn't know there were different types of clothes that you should
    be wearing and in what order. I could walk at the mall on the weekends but during the week is a different story. I work an hour away from home and leave my house before 7am....I don't think the mall would be open @ 5 when I would want to use it.
    There is a lot of information here to digest so I will start shopping around and see what kinds of bargins I can find before winter gets here.
    I don't own a snow blower so I will be getting a good workout this winter :laugh: Most winters I don't go out except to make a snowman :laugh: ..for some reason this winter I am really looking forward to being outside and walking...my how things change!!!

Thanks again for all your ideas!
    Mary
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you are one of the die hard outdoor enthusiasts you can go around the perimeter of a shopping center or mall parking lot. I stay just inside the outter most parking spots, but out of the driving lane around the lot. It's paved, plowed in winter, not much traffic, and no people or strollers to dodge around. I do not suggest going behind the buildings, I usually park at one of the ends of the lot, go up, across and down and back 1-2 times depending on the lot. I hit 3 sides of the square. I never walk in front of the buildings where every one is coming and going or fighting for the close parking spots.