What do to when someone cooks a meal for you

Options

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't log that day and enjoy your meal without guilt!?

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

Or even just don't log that meal and make your other foods on the lighter side that day - Eat your delicious dinner without guilt! How often do you get to have a homemade roast dinner with all the trimmings? Enjoy it and and enjoy the time with your family!

One day does not destroy your efforts! :flowerforyou:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I often experience this problem. Between visiting the in-laws or going to my parent's house about once a week for dinner.

I bug my mom and ask her what she puts in it, but she never measures anything so it's always her best guess.

I don't with my in-laws on the other hand.

It's tough, but control your portions. if you have been weighing your food you can kind of eyeball more accurately what a portion size would be. I also try to burn a little more the day of or the day after to make up for inaccuracy.

If this doesn't happen a lot, like maybe once a month you eat someone else's cooking, I wouldnt even bother worrying so much.
  • ellenmg
    ellenmg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What to do when someone cooks a meal for you - THANK THEM!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Practice using a cup measure to eyeball what different things look like

So many grams of meat looks like this.

So many grams of potatoes looks like that.

So many grams of rice looks like this.

Etc. Etc.

Enjoy your time w/ your mom!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    What do to when someone cooks a meal for you

I throw it on the ground. I won't be part of their system.

threw-it-to-the-ground-cup-o.gif

ANDY SAMBERG........
  • zoemcquaid
    zoemcquaid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What to do when someone cooks a meal for you - THANK THEM!

Well obviously, that's standard etiquette.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've been in this situation and at the beginning, I would take my scale with to weigh my food. I had to for me... plus it let eveyone know that I was serious this time around. These days, I prepare ahead of time. I've gotten to know how much a "serving" is based on 9 months of weighing/measuring/recording. If we are going out to a restaurant, I will do a google search for the nutritional facts and know exactly what I will be having when we get there. I also make a point of walking... I do a minimum of 5 miles a day -- whether that is at work, outside, on my treadmill, or jogging in place in front of the tv (I've been known to do this standing in a checkout line and I don't really care what anyone thinks)....

I know some people have said one meal won't make you fat... that may be true for them, but for me, especially when I was first starting out, that one meal would set off a chain reaction and I'd sometimes binge for the next week, month, and heck... year(s)....

Once I've established a pattern, and people have seen that I am serious, I find I can splurge now and then and not beat myself up.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I say do the best you can. Eat light early in the day to 'save' calories for dinner, maybe do some extra exercise to 'earn' calories, but for the most part - you go enjoy the day with your mum, log as best you can and move on!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I've got pretty good at eye-balling food to guess the weight. But if your family get togethers are like mine, everyone leaves with a to-go plate. I try to make mine as close to what I ate as possible, then weigh and measure it when I get home.
  • zoemcquaid
    Options
    Thanks for all your input, i really appreciate it :flowerforyou:

I think I will eat very lightly before dinner, and then maybe a workout after (if i can after all the yummy roast dinner!)
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm going to dinner for mother's day too. I am simply going to make the best guesses I can, indulge a little and enjoy myself. The same as I've done with every event (there have been several) that has come up since I started MFP in January, and every time someone has brought baked goods to work (often) and I've still lost steadily.

To me, taking a scales to a social event is going too far. No way would I want this to take over my life like that. This is a lifestyle change, social eating is a big part of life and there's no need to deprive yourself of that or feel guilty.

Enjoy your day with your mum. :)
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would still log it, but enjoy the meal, just maybe with smaller portions. If you've been restricting calories for a while, you might be "used" to smaller portions anyway and can honestly say you're full when you finish your plate. I wouldn't bother with the food scale; just give your best estimate. MFP is only so accurate anyway, from what I've seen around these boards. If it makes you feel better and you know what you are going to have for dinner, log your food beforehand so you can "plan" for exercise and extra calories.

As everyone else has been saying, one day is not going to kill your progress. Total deprivation of yummy home-cooked food is not the way to go!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My husband took me out to a very nice dinner for my birthday. I tried to be light the rest of the day and thoroughly enjoyed dinner. Then I got back on track the next day. Just because I was not going to log dinner, I didn't gorge myself or binge.

If we are just going out for dinner with friends or something (somwthing NOT very special), I'll try to look up the menu ahead and actually log it earlier in the day). Don't forget the roll, wine, or appetizer.
  • zoemcquaid
    Options
    I will definitely be eating light before hand. I will probably not log anything because I am rubbish at guessing/eyeballing so i would just rather not and start fresh the next day.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    First of all say thank you. ;)

If its any consolation I nearly always lose weight when I'm at my inlaws for any extended period of time. It's quite a bit heavier than my usual fare, so I am VERY careful with my portions, eating very slowly until I am full.

I vote get your work out in before, not after you're full of food and sleepy.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    First of all say thank you. ;)

If its any consolation I nearly always lose weight when I'm at my inlaws for any extended period of time. It's quite a bit heavier than my usual fare, so I am VERY careful with my portions, eating very slowly until I am full.

I vote get your work out in before, not after you're full of food and sleepy.

Oh yes, definitely get a good workout in earlier, if you can. This always makes me feel better!
  • Jpartlow9212
    Options
    Hey hey! I have been in those situations plenty of times. Until you feel more comfortable eye-balling food, I would suggest bringing your scale. Yes, people may find it strange but this is a perfect way for you to show how serious you are about your health and goals. Plus, the best way to get good at eye-balling is practice using a scale and remembering portion sizes! Do what makes you comfortable. Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you comfortable.

I'd add... do what everyone is comfortable with! When I eat at the house of some friends who have been calorie-counting for a while, they're very happy to weigh my portions.. but it's on a case-by-case basis! :smile:
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The only thing that could make me drag myself out of bed @ 5:30 to exercise was knowing I'm going to have wine with my anniversary dinner on Saturday :)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    guess the best you can, log it and move on.