Are my calories correct for losing?

Options
Hi all, I'm a 32 year old with insulin resistance, and I find it very hard to lose weight. However, up until now I've always been crash dieting then yo-yoing because I can't stick with it, so that might have something to do with the weight loss difficulty. Now I want to eat my BMR or TDEE and let the weight come off at a good pace. So here is my question, because it seems my calories are too high:

My BMR at 32 years old, 241lbs (starting weight) is 1788.
My bathroom scale says without exercise and just going about my day I will burn 2750. (I plan to exercise, btw)

So if I eat 1788 or darn close to it, I'll lose weight, correct? It just seems high. But then again I have a history of 500-calorie HCG use, 1200 cal/day diets, and of course the binge day when I can no longer take the restriction. I don't binge when I'm actually eating sufficient calories day after day.

Thanks for your advice :)

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It seems high now because you are starting out but as you lose weight it will adjust and start to go down.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm at 199, and I lose weight eating 1750 per day, more if I exercise.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Eat 1,800 calories for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You don't want to eat lower than your BMR. Go inbetween your BMR and TDEE
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE using a caluclator such as this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and see how it compares to your bathroom scale.

For sustainable fat loss, take a 20% cut from your TDEE. This will give you a figure somewhere between your BMR and TDEE. If you're coming out of a very low calorie / yo-yo history then it will sound like a lot of food initially but stick with it.

I now lose eating 2000-2200 cals per day.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You can safely eat below your BMR, but you want to factor a resonable deficit from your TDEE. You said 2750 is your total energy without any exercise. If you eat a deficit from that, then you will lose weight. If you eat 1700 calories per day you would lose 2lbs per week without any exercise. If you do exercise you would want to eat back a portion of your exercise calories to fuel those sessions.

Generally with the TDEE method you figure out your total calorie expenditure including exercise and then eat a percentage below that. The general recommendations for cut is in the 25% range if you have a lot to lose (morbidly obese), 20% if you have a fair amount to lose, and then 10% if you have a little to lose. You will probably need to play around in the numbers for what works for you.

I was eating at about 1200-1300 calories but felt I was tired all of the time and wasn't recovering from my workouts. I calculated my TDEE and discovered it is around 2800. I am slowly increasing my calories up to 1800 by adding 100 calories per week. While I did not lose as much the first few weeks of the increase, my loss seems to have resumed. I expect to be able to lose about 2lbs per week at 1800 calories per day.

Don't forget that as you lose weight, your TDEE will change, so you will need to readjust your calorie level.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Same with me!! I have been dipping way too low lately due to such high cal burns and the weight loss completely stalled. I have been upping my cals and instead of burning 700 calories most days a week, I will have a high cal burn several days a week and then a lower cal burn on other days. I was just burning out. My loss just resumed today and I know its because I have bumped up my cals.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Only one way to find out.... eat at that level and see what happens. BMR/TDEE... its all estimated. Certain genetic factors will change that for individuals.... if you eat at that level and you lose.. great... if you don't... lower it a bit and see what happens. I would definately suggest weighing your food though. At that level you really can't afford a whole lot of logging mistakes. Good luck!
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. I'm also 32 and at 232 pounds with a BMR of 1781, which is just above my calorie goal here of 1770
  • nicki_lynne
    nicki_lynne Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wonder if looking in to the glycemic index of the foods you eat would be helpful? It ranks foods and beverages based on how they affect your blood sugar level. It's not that myself or anyone I know has used it as guidance or anything. I've just noticed the ratings for glycemic index on nutritional data sites. Before joining MFP, I used to use nutritiondata.self.com to find nutrition facts and noticed everything is assigned an estimated glycemic load.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I dont know how high you are but it sounds about right or maybe even a little on the low side depending on how much you have set it to lose each week.

I am 23yo 5'3 and currently weigh 226lbs and eat about 2000 calories a day to lose between 1-2lbs a week.

Try to eat as much as you can/want to while still being able to lose weight. No point in restricting your food intake lower than you need to.