muscle milk

Options
Is Muscle Milk shake mix a good protein shake to have for lunch? ( I have the bannana cream kind and I like to mix it with Simply Orange Orange Juice)

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of liquid lunches. I never feel satisfied and I'm prone to over-snacking later before dinner. That's just me. But, if you can handle that aspect, and it meets your calorie requirements, it should be OK. It has nutrients, protein, fat.

More importantly, if you're "eating" liquid meals for short term weight loss, is that a habit you will find sustainable in the long term? If the answer is no, you're setting yourself up for weight gain after you get to your initial goal, because you've haven't formed a sustainable habit of eating.
  • mmannerino
    Options
    Try muscle milk light! - it's only 100 calories :)
  • hill242
    Options
    She wants to use it as a meal replacement, it sounds like. I'm not sure 100 calories plus some OJ would suffice for that purpose.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I use EAS and Muscle Milk as replacements and they fill be for hours IF I do not use the light
  • Pir8dave
    Pir8dave Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk products and think they are great due to the high protein amount and low sugar. I thinkit would be perfect for your purposes, i.e. mixing with OJ and a banana. Bon Appetit!
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of liquid lunches. I never feel satisfied and I'm prone to over-snacking later before dinner. That's just me. But, if you can handle that aspect, and it meets your calorie requirements, it should be OK. It has nutrients, protein, fat.

More importantly, if you're "eating" liquid meals for short term weight loss, is that a habit you will find sustainable in the long term? If the answer is no, you're setting yourself up for weight gain after you get to your initial goal, because you've haven't formed a sustainable habit of eating.

I see where your comming from all though I don't plan on eating a liquid lunch every day. (Maybe just two times a week) This will be my first liqiud lunch if I find that it does not hold me over till my afternoon snack I will not be doing it again. I have done it for breakfast and had no trouble with it.
  • BrendaKayS
    Options
    I love muscle milk. I end up doing a meal replacement at least once a day on workdays - it's just the ONLY way I can eat so it's either that or skip it altogether. Muscle Milk keeps me satisfied for quite a few hours. It's also pretty yummy. My favorite is "chocolite protein" but it's hard to find...both are great!
  • hill242
    Options
    I couldn't think of a tastier protein drink to do this with =)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    What's in that OJ? I know most OJ is just packed with sugar.

I'm actually planning on getting a muscle milk for lunch today at 11:30. Quick stop down the street has them. Good stuff. Should hold me over until my homemade protein/creatine shake at 3:30.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk by most peoples standards is about the worst protein shake on the market macro nutrients wise. I know it taste so good and that's why most people want to drink it but it's very very high in fat(saturaded), sugar and carbs and for the amount of protein you get you can get that from another brand with little to no fat and a lesser amount of carbs.

Try Met-rx, EAS or Nature's Best Isopure. Isopure comes in three versions, a standard one, a low carb and a no carb one.

I do really recommend reading the Muscle Milk label as I know people that were trying to cut weight and keep protein high and only counting calories and not macro's and they couldn't lose weight, in some cases were gaining back(that was me) and once they switched to another brand they stopped plateauing and started to drop again.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk by most peoples standards is about the worst protein shake on the market macro nutrients wise. I know it taste so good and that's why most people want to drink it but it's very very high in fat(saturaded), sugar and carbs and for the amount of protein you get you can get that from another brand with little to no fat and a lesser amount of carbs.

Try Met-rx, EAS or Nature's Best Isopure. Isopure comes in three versions, a standard one, a low carb and a no carb one.

I do really recommend reading the Muscle Milk label as I know people that were trying to cut weight and keep protein high and only counting calories and not macro's and they couldn't lose weight, in some cases were gaining back(that was me) and once they switched to another brand they stopped plateauing and started to drop again.
  • hill242
    Options
    I think if you want pure protein, Muscle Milk is not the best option. However, it sounds like for the OP's purpose, the additional carbs, fat, and nutrients would be good for their needs. Good point, though, on how we should all carefully look at labels to make sure we know what we're getting.