Interesting Article...thoughts?

Options
deliacm
deliacm Posts: 66 Member
I stumbled upon an article this morning that was a really great read. I thought I'd throw this out in the forum to see what other's thoughts are on her comments.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-13018/5-things-i-miss-about-weighing-more-than-300-pounds.html?utm_campaign=recommendation&utm_medium=popular&utm_source=feature

Replies

• EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    1. Not Strong... lift weights... I know a lot of obese people who cannot lift much of anything... if she feels weak at her size, she should consider strength training... suggesting that obesity builds strength is dumb

2. Comfort ... ugh... yeah... enjoy that comfortable heart attack

3. Clothes... she can still wear "forgiving" clothes if she likes... that's like... her choice, ma

4. Friendships... I know plenty of fit people who make friends just fine without it turning into a rivalry or an amorous situation... if all the girls hate you, then you're probably doing something wrong

5. Dissonance in her head... ugh... yeah... consider therapy if you have issues with that

Summary: Dumb article is dumb
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I weighed 282....I weigh 206 now and I do not miss a thing......it is a peculiar perspective and a stretch at best.......
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I found the article interesting too. I think it reveals a lot about the reasons some people get extraordinarily fat. It's for protection from the world -- some people seek safety by building walls of fat around themselves. In my very humble opinion, it's similar to what hoarders do. The only difference is that they shut out others with walls of junk, instead of fat. Getting rid of those walls can be both uncomfortable and downright scary. It takes a huge commitment to learning new ways of loving one's self to overcome these suits of armor.
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    If she misses it so much, Why doesn't she gain it all back?... It is an attention getting scheme
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hahaha that's hilarious ! I will never miss my fat body ever. Like someone else said , I will not ever miss not being able to tie my shoes or losing my breath just getting out of the car , or feeling too big for my Mazda ? What is wrong with this person ? I never had strength to match my weight . I just started lifting and I feel strong now ,now that I'm not lugging 270 lbs around I sleep better I walk easier I look better I am happier than I have ever been .

yep probably a publicity stunt .. wouldn't want her as my trainer though...
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    She needs to eat some pop tarts and stop chatting such useless drivel then.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    1. This topic has been discussed on forums before, and women who are thin now and lift weights have said they had more strength as a bigger woman. I saw this first hand with an old roommate of mine, she was 200+ lbs and we were the same height, I was lifting heavy at the time and I was very strong but when we were moving in/out of our apartment, she could lift big chairs and dressers etc... all by herself, whereas I couldn't get the footing to actually carry it down stairs by myself. I could lift things off the floor, but forget actually moving things and walking with them. I was amazed at the strength and balance she had - but I think it was because she's so used to carrying an extra 70 lbs on her at all times.

2. I can relate to this 100%. I was an athlete and lifting heavy 3 times a week. I had muscles I didn't even know existed. Now, 10 years later, I'm soft and pudgy. The muscles are still under there, but there's 35 lbs of fat between me and that old body. Honestly, I prefer having pudge. I don't want to be obese or overweight, but being muscly and having a very very low body fat percentage was DEFINITELY uncomfortable. Once I gained 20 lbs after I stopped competing at a high level, I realized I loved being a little chubby and it was much more "comfortable" Too bad I took it too far and now I have to get back to that ideal comfort weight again ;)

3. This is so, so true. When you're not typically attractive or "normal" looking in school, you definitely have to develop other parts of your personality to make up for it. I experienced this, and I'm sure many others did (even though I wasn't obese in high school)

4. I feel bad for her in this one. I've never had trouble keeping friends as a thin person but I hope that's because I chose quality people to let into my life (I hope that's why!) I'm sure a lot of bigger people can relate to this though...I've heard so many stories here on MFP of people making really mean comments about their weight loss out of jealousy.

5. I can't relate to this because I've never been *that* big. But like I said above, I can imagine that being a size for most of your life really shapes your personality and how to interact with the world around you. When it's gone, you have to shift that entire world view.

Excellent article all around, thanks for sharing!