granola

Options
terricol
terricol Posts: 43 Member
hi all, can someone tell me what Granola is and if it is healthy cereal please? I currently have fruit and fibre and fancy a change but don't want to change cereal for something higher in calories.
Many thanks

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Granola CAN be healthy. it is simply baked whole grains usually oats with dried fruit, nuts and honey. It is often less processed than other cereals. The problem for me lies in the amount of sugar used in the baking process. I do a homemade version that uses about 1/2 the amount of honey but most store brands are too sweet for me. Granola is calorie dense so I use it as a "condiment" to other things. Like sprinkling a 1/'2 serving (2 T) on plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "healthy"? Do you just mean low calorie?

Granola is an excellent source of energy and is good to bring along on outdoor activities because it is light and compact. I rarely eat it when I'm not doing some high intensity outdoor activity though, as a little goes a long way.

From Wikipedia:
    Granola is a breakfast food and snack food, popular in the Americas, consisting of rolled oats, nuts, honey, and sometimes puffed rice, that is usually baked until crisp. During the baking process the mixture is stirred to maintain a loose, breakfast cereal-type consistency. Dried fruits, such as raisins and dates, are sometimes added.
  • terricol
    terricol Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I guess i meant healthy as in low calorie, sounds nice and will give it a go. Thanks for all the replies x
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it is healthy for you depends on what you are eating the rest of the time. How does it fit into your calorie and macro goals?

As long as it fits into your goals, then enjoy it. Be sure to weigh out your portions as it can be high in calories.
  • charlychops
    Options
    Depends - shop bought granola can be full of sugar so I make my own. I use rolled oats, hazelnuts, almonds, dessicated coconut, chia seeds, flax, egg white and honey. Mix and bake. Makes for quite a high calorie breakfast depending on portion size but it's goooood.