Vegetarian/Vegan High-Protein Recipes

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
Hi all!

I'm trying to reduce the animal products in my diet while still meeting my protein macro every day. I'm not quite at the point of totally eliminating it (getting there), but I'm trying to start by keeping meat to once per day (if at all) and dairy to one or two servings at most. Just what I feel like doing right now :tongue: .

I've got a pretty good handle on what some good plant-based sources of protein are, but now I'm looking for some good recipes to use them in. I'm not a huge fan of soy-based protein and meat substitutes but I'm open to trying new things. Also, major major bonus points if it's something I can make ahead and bring in portions for lunch at work for several days. Your favorite recipes and/or sites/cookbooks that could help me would be most appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I only eat chicken and fish. with the exception of bacon. every once in a blue moon i might have some red meat - but rarely.

I eat alot of yogurt, eggs, protein drinks, etc to get my protein in.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    5 Bean salad (not cooked)

Beans: Cannelini, black, white, kidney, chick peas
    1 can of each
    tsp of balsamic vinegar
    cup of lemon juice
    olive oil
    salt and pepper
    dried mint
    1/2 of a bunch of parsley
    1 onion (can be either white or red)
    Red and yellow or orange pepper

make sure all of the veggies are diced to bite sized pieces
    put all the veggies in a bowl and drain all of the beans and mix them all together
    Add dried mint, parsley, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    drizzle olive oil
    Stir together very well

Don't overdo it with the balsamic vinegar, one tsp will do.

This makes a ginormous bowl of bean salad that usually lasts me all week! Great source of protein.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks. Appetite for Reduction is my favorite. She also has recipes on her website: www.theppk.com
  • Ashketchum12
    Options
    I like the Amy's brand frozen foods. My local grocery store and Wal-Mart sells them. They are all vegetarian, and if you are going vegan then just look for the front of the box, it will say Dairy Free. They use organic non-GMO ingredients and no preservatives, and low in sodium compared to other frozen foods.

Adding nuts to your diet is always good. I alternate between peanuts, pecans, and almonds.

Don't forget about beans and lentils! I have non vegan friends who are poor college students, but pile on the black beans since it is one of the cheapest sources of protein out there. The fiber also helps fill you up.

Rolled oats are also a good choice, because of the high protein ratio. Have you tried Quinoa? Cooked it comes out like couscous, but it is very healthy and high in every single type of protein required by a human to live.

TVP (texturized vegetable protein) is also a good way to fill out things you would use ground hamburger in, such as chili.

Also, Gardein makes great "mock" meat products such as beef strips, chicken strips, etc that are high in protein. You'll pay almost $5 for a one pound bag, but then again buying the better beef will be similar in price.
  • Teeniebresnick
    Options
    I've been a Lacto-ovo vegetarian since birth, but my husband and children are meat eaters all the way.. I make a chili that they actually prefer to meat chili!

Vegetarian baked beans
    Kidney beans
    Garbanzo beans
    Black bean soup
    Tomato sauce
    Whole kernel corn
    Diced celery & peppers & onions
    Garlic
    Garlic & chili powder to taste

It's super high in protein for a vegetarian, and the garbanzo beans really make it good!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! That bean salad and vegetarian chili sound super good, and I'll check out the other stuff!

Yeah, I'm pretty focused on quinoa, beans/lentils/legumes, rice to a degree, and nuts, with still a bit of dairy filling in the blanks (goat cheese, greek yogurt, etc), plus of course fruits and vegetables. Just trying to find new and exciting ways to use them so I'm not eating black bean soup and quinoa/asparagus salad every day :smile: .