Proof Positive- You Can Not Out Exercise A Bad Diet

Options
For 6 weeks I hit the gym hard. Body Pump 3x week, running 3 miles a day 5xweek, T25, kick boxing class 2 x week. Averaged 10-12 hours a week of pretty intense exercise. I ate back all my exercise calories based on my UP band, plus then some. No weight loss. Now true, I only want to lose 10 lbs, so I would expect the loss to be slow. So Sunday I decided to just eat my calorie allowance, and I have not exercised at all. Here is what has happened since Sunday......Sunday 111.0, Monday 109.4, Tuesday 108.0, Wednesday 107.2, and today 106.6. For me when I do alot of exercise, I feel like I should be able to eat alot more food. Not true, in my case. I defientely see results with nothing more than a very slight calories deficit. Here are my stats: 50 yr Female, 5 ' 2", desk job. I have eaten 1200 calories a day, with no extra exercise. That is only putting me at a 200 calorie a day or less deficiet. Pretty much the last 20 years, and having 3 kids, I have always maintained between 100 - 103 lbs. I got lazy last year and ate to much, way to often. I'm actually surprised I didn't gain more weight then I did. Just my experience.

Replies

• JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Though it might seem like you are loosing weight faster without exercising, it might be deceiving. When you exercise as much as you were, your body builds up and stores water around your muscles to protect them. That is why rest days are so important in exercise and loosing weight. You have to allow your body to rest. I can almost guarantee that your body went into an almost shock mode and starting storing whatever calories and water you put into your system because of all the crazy exercising! That is probably why you didn't see the scales budge.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    It's your glycogen stores being depleted.

You're not losing fat faster.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

^^yerp

fify
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For 6 weeks I hit the gym hard. Body Pump 3x week, running 3 miles a day 5xweek, T25, kick boxing class 2 x week. Averaged 10-12 hours a week of pretty intense exercise. I ate back all my exercise calories based on my UP band, plus then some. No weight loss. Now true, I only want to lose 10 lbs, so I would expect the loss to be slow. So Sunday I decided to just eat my calorie allowance, and I have not exercised at all. Here is what has happened since Sunday......Sunday 111.0, Monday 109.4, Tuesday 108.0, Wednesday 107.2, and today 106.6. For me when I do alot of exercise, I feel like I should be able to eat alot more food. Not true, in my case. I defientely see results with nothing more than a very slight calories deficit. Here are my stats: 50 yr Female, 5 ' 2", desk job. I have eaten 1200 calories a day, with no extra exercise. That is only putting me at a 200 calorie a day or less deficiet. Pretty much the last 20 years, and having 3 kids, I have always maintained between 100 - 103 lbs. I got lazy last year and ate to much, way to often. I'm actually surprised I didn't gain more weight then I did. Just my experience.

And this is revolutionary exactly how?
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options

^^yep

triple this
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

^^yep

Preach it.

Also, you're hot. Can you delete someone lame so we can finally be BFFs? :tongue:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

^^yep

triple this

quadruple. Four straight days of weight loss isn't fat loss.
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options

^^yep

Preach it.

Also, you're hot. Can you delete someone lame so we can finally be BFFs? :tongue:

Tee hee hee :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

And this is revolutionary exactly how?

That was the first thing that got my attention. And then, yes, the water/glycogen stores now getting depleted.