High impact excersize causes 'fat pads to slide?'

Options
Was browsing through different world news this morning and saw a side bar to a Yahoo article. Normally I leave Yahoo alone because their sources can be pretty questionable.

What do you think about this statement made in the article? Alot of what I do is high impact. Wondering what level of truth is in this statement:

"Running (or any high-impact exercise): "While such exercise may benefit our hearts, it can cause the fat pads to slide south, and collagen and elastin to break down. If you enjoy running, try walking," explains Dr. Gross."

*EDIT: Didn't spell check myself! It's 'exercise'!* :blushing:

Replies

• MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    that sounds crazy!
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    That sounds a little far fetched to me. I get this image of people who run and they have big wads of fat around their ankles! LOL!
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, going to have to disagree with the good doctor on this one. You might could argue the appearance of the body may support that, but that's because fat stored around the abdomen seems to be the last to go for most people. Unless you have an injury or some medical issue preventing you from running, not sure how he can argue walking is better in terms of weight and fat loss. Do you have a link to the article? I'm not finding it when I look through yahoo's stories.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Of course they slide. They also jiggle, wiggle, and flop when I run. LOL
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That sliding fat pads sounds a little weird to me. I did read an article not long ago (can't remember where) that said running can cause skin to sag more on older women and it said walking is better because of the problem. I run very little so I didn't worry too much but I do know a lot of women who run and I don't think they have a problem with sagging skin. I think the hardest thing on anyone's skin is to constantly bake it in the sun so wear sun screen and enjoy your run.:flowerforyou:
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    That sounds a little far fetched to me. I get this image of people who run and they have big wads of fat around their ankles! LOL!

:laugh: That's the mental picture I got as well :laugh:
  • njjbosse
    Options
    i'm pretty sure this is ridiculous. it's just some crock-doctor who's trying to make people feel better about their sedintary lifestyle.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Was browsing through different world news this morning and saw a side bar to a Yahoo article. Normally I leave Yahoo alone because their sources can be pretty questionable.

What do you think about this statement made in the article? Alot of what I do is high impact. Wondering what level of truth is in this statement:

"Running (or any high-impact exercise): "While such exercise may benefit our hearts, it can cause the fat pads to slide south, and collagen and elastin to break down. If you enjoy running, try walking," explains Dr. Gross."

I looked this up on the internet - this Dr. is primarily noted for his "expertise" on "beauty" issues/recommendations. The information has more to do with the tissue/fat deposits under the surface of the skin on the face. So, what he is basically saying is that the fat deposits and collagen that give our face the fullness (healthy look) can break down and then we get that "saggy" look in our face. This can be related to running, but it could also be related to simply losing weight and may not have anything to do with running - the research on this is a little skimpy. So, I guess the benefits of running definitely outweigh the concerns in my opinion. I think I would rather have a healthy heart and other healthy internal and external organs and not be so worried about whether I will need a face lift at some point in my life.

Vickie

• ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Of course they slide. They also jiggle, wiggle, and flop when I run. LOL

LOL, mine too!
  • amicklin
    Options
    The visual I got what my bum I am working so hard to 'perk up' sliding south because of the high impact workouts!
  • groggyfrog
    Options
    I don't know about the fat pads... eeek

What I do know is that High impact activity is very hard on people with low collagen - hyper-mobile people. I am one of those, my joints are very flexible and before I knew about this my muscles were extremely tight. Pilates, bicycling, and swimming are far far better for me than a run.

I don't know if it goes the other way around. I would imagine that too much of anything is hard on the body, but that a person with average collagen allocation isn't going to have that much of a problem.

Elastics are a good metaphor for the elasticity in our body; over strain and it will lose it's umph, just let it sit and it will get brittle... So when your joints start to hurt listen to them - other than that, if I were you, I'd enjoy that run or whatever it is that you do.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Ask all the runners on MFP, who have lost a sh*tload of weight, whether their fat pads slid away! LOL! :-)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    That's the most mentally handicapped thing I've heard all week. Completely idiotic.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Ask all the runners on MFP, who have lost a sh*tload of weight, whether their fat pads slid away! LOL! :-)

Actually they did... they slid away under the treadmill where they got squished and pulverized as I got stronger and faster ;)
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options

Actually they did... they slid away under the treadmill where they got squished and pulverized as I got stronger and faster ;)

Touche! Exactly! LOL! :-)
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't buy that for a minute. In fact that might be one of the crazier theories I've heard.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Sounds insane.

I mean, if that was true my shoulders would be underneath my arms.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the "doctors" who used to counsel against running or doing cardio exercise because "the heart can beat only so many times and you don't want to wear it out faster by exercising".
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

What a crock of *kitten*!!

The only thing that that Doctor's quote is good for is when I am on my treadmill, I will repeat it to myself mentally - that should spur me on if I get tired and am flaking out!

Fat pads sliding south - hopefully running will eventually burn off any "fat pads" and there will be nothing to slide south. I have never heard such a load of rubbish in all my life lol.